  • Xbox
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
April 1, 2005 8:59:19 PM

If you have a lot of experience with both PC and XBOX perhaps you could
help me. I haven't owned a console since the Sega MegaDrive and have
spent the last 12 years playing and enjoying games with the PC. Whilst
the PC still produces the occasional great game I am finding fewer and
fewer good action games released for it. I have recently played PC
versions of two originally XBOX games, namely Halo and the Chronicles of
Riddick. Both are very good and so I am wondering about buying an XBOX.
If these two games are the best the XBOX has to offer it wouldn't be
worth it. If there are other games of that quality on the console then
it would. What do you think?

By the way, I realise the controller business is a big downside after
being used to the mouse (my toddler nephew recently disassembled me
during a game on another console while I fumbled pathetically with the
buttons and the stick thing) but I might get used to it in time.

If you are familiar with BOTH systems I would be grateful for your opinion,

Thanks,

FBT

More about : gamer advice xbox

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:59:20 PM

Definitely pickup an xbox. The hardware is cheap enough that if you don't
like it, you can trade it in towards pc games, but I bet you don't. I am
currently playing a bunch of xbox titles and pc games too. Xbox live is also
worth the subscription.

If in doubt, go rent a console and the games you are interested in buying.
That should pretty much tell you in 2 days if a console is what you want.

--
Mickster

Visit my website and see my arcade!!

http://mickster.freeservers.com

"Festerbestertester" <gpca05@udcf.gla.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:D 2jr4n$84l$1@singer.cent.gla.ac.uk...
> If you have a lot of experience with both PC and XBOX perhaps you could
> help me. I haven't owned a console since the Sega MegaDrive and have spent
> the last 12 years playing and enjoying games with the PC. Whilst the PC
> still produces the occasional great game I am finding fewer and fewer good
> action games released for it. I have recently played PC versions of two
> originally XBOX games, namely Halo and the Chronicles of Riddick. Both are
> very good and so I am wondering about buying an XBOX. If these two games
> are the best the XBOX has to offer it wouldn't be worth it. If there are
> other games of that quality on the console then it would. What do you
> think?
>
> By the way, I realise the controller business is a big downside after
> being used to the mouse (my toddler nephew recently disassembled me during
> a game on another console while I fumbled pathetically with the buttons
> and the stick thing) but I might get used to it in time.
>
> If you are familiar with BOTH systems I would be grateful for your
> opinion,
>
> Thanks,
>
> FBT

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:59:20 PM

Festerbestertester wrote:

> If you are familiar with BOTH systems I would be grateful for your
> opinion,

The Xbox is worth it for the games that will not get ported to the PC or
play better on a console. Ninja Gaiden, Crimson Skies (not the same as the
PC version), and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath are excellent action titles.
Project Gotham Racing 2 is the only racing game I have enjoyed. I loved
Fable, but it's coming to the PC later this year. The console version of
Spider-man 2 is excellent compared to the PC version geared toward kids.
While the game play is simplistic it's a blast traveling around New Year
city. I also found that games are better to play on the system it was
originally designed for.
April 1, 2005 9:27:37 PM

> If you have a lot of experience with both PC and XBOX perhaps you could
> help me. I haven't owned a console since the Sega MegaDrive and have spent
> the last 12 years playing and enjoying games with the PC. Whilst the PC
> still produces the occasional great game I am finding fewer and fewer good
> action games released for it. I have recently played PC versions of two
> originally XBOX games, namely Halo and the Chronicles of Riddick. Both are
> very good and so I am wondering about buying an XBOX. If these two games
> are the best the XBOX has to offer it wouldn't be worth it. If there are
> other games of that quality on the console then it would. What do you
> think?
>
> By the way, I realise the controller business is a big downside after
> being used to the mouse (my toddler nephew recently disassembled me during
> a game on another console while I fumbled pathetically with the buttons
> and the stick thing) but I might get used to it in time.
>
> If you are familiar with BOTH systems I would be grateful for your
> opinion,

What's this ? A logical, intelligent question on csipga ? Whatever next ;)

As always, it depends on the type of games you want to play and whether you
can adjust to using a control pad for your FPS habit. I managed to adjust
for "Goldenye" on the N64, but that was a one off classic and well worth the
effort.
If arcade driving games are your thing, the XBOX is the way to go, imo. I
absolutely loved Project Gotham 2 and hopefully a sequel for that can't be
far away. It beats Gran Turismo 4 for sheer playability, and that hurts like
hell to even type ! GT4 is showing it's age, big time.

Are you going to be using the XBOX Live much ? I've heard great things about
that, too, but personally don't use it at all. Only due to the extra
expense.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:22:52 PM

Festerbestertester wrote:
> If you have a lot of experience with both PC and XBOX perhaps you could
> help me. I haven't owned a console since the Sega MegaDrive and have
> spent the last 12 years playing and enjoying games with the PC. Whilst
> the PC still produces the occasional great game I am finding fewer and
> fewer good action games released for it. I have recently played PC
> versions of two originally XBOX games, namely Halo and the Chronicles of
> Riddick. Both are very good and so I am wondering about buying an XBOX.
> If these two games are the best the XBOX has to offer it wouldn't be
> worth it. If there are other games of that quality on the console then
> it would. What do you think?
>
> By the way, I realise the controller business is a big downside after
> being used to the mouse (my toddler nephew recently disassembled me
> during a game on another console while I fumbled pathetically with the
> buttons and the stick thing) but I might get used to it in time.
>
> If you are familiar with BOTH systems I would be grateful for your opinion,

Having owned all three of the 'current' consoles and a PC I would say
that only the Gamecube is really worth partnering with a gaming PC. It
is the only one of the three consoles I still own. The PS2 and X-Box
just seemed to have so many games I had already played on PC or that I
will be able to in the future, obviously there are the odd exceptions of
course. I have just found that the Gamecube tends to have the best
exclusives (Metroid, Resi 4, Zelda in particular), plus it's dirt cheap.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:22:53 PM

>> By the way, I realise the controller business is a big downside after
>> being used to the mouse (my toddler nephew recently disassembled me
>> during a game on another console while I fumbled pathetically with the
>> buttons and the stick thing) but I might get used to it in time.

Here is a keyboard/mouse fix for the Xbox, your mileage may vary:

http://xbox.gamespy.com/articles/565/565000p1.html?from...

I don't own a Xbox, but this device seems to be an alternative to the
standard gamepad that might work "in a pinch." They apparently also make one
for the PS2.

- f_f
April 2, 2005 12:37:37 AM

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 14:33:45 -0600, "faster_framerates"
<nothanks@nowhere.net> wrote:

>Here is a keyboard/mouse fix for the Xbox, your mileage may vary:
>
>http://xbox.gamespy.com/articles/565/565000p1.html?from...
>
>I don't own a Xbox, but this device seems to be an alternative to the
>standard gamepad that might work "in a pinch." They apparently also make one
>for the PS2.

Does it also fix the games so the AI isn't as dumb as DiFool to
compensate for players having to use joypads?
April 2, 2005 12:37:38 AM

Andrew wrote:

> Does it also fix the games so the AI isn't as dumb as DiFool to
> compensate for players having to use joypads?

Halo has excellent AI. Bad AI isn't a fault of the Xbox.
April 2, 2005 2:11:40 AM

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Festerbestertester wrote:
>
>> If you are familiar with BOTH systems I would be grateful for your
>> opinion,
>
> The Xbox is worth it for the games that will not get ported to the PC or
> play better on a console. Ninja Gaiden, Crimson Skies (not the same as the
> PC version), and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath are excellent action titles.
> Project Gotham Racing 2 is the only racing game I have enjoyed. I loved
> Fable, but it's coming to the PC later this year. The console version of
> Spider-man 2 is excellent compared to the PC version geared toward kids.
> While the game play is simplistic it's a blast traveling around New Year
> city. I also found that games are better to play on the system it was
> originally designed for.

I agree 100%. For me the best thing about the Xbox is being able to hook it
into my home theater and play my games in 5.1 Dolby Digital, while kicking
back in a comfy chair. The Xbox really kicks some serious butt in the audio
dept. Plus it makes a great 2nd DVD player. There's just some games that
work better on the consoles. I'm really into racing games on the PC, but it
wasn't until I played Project Gotham Racing 2 that I felt I really had found
a game I could play forever and still have a blast. The other must have
racing game is Rallysport Challenge 2. This game is simply the best racing
game I've ever played. And if you like fighters (something that is rare on
the PC) Soul Caliber 2 will rock your world. The Xbox is so cheap now,
there's really is no reason not to get one. And games can be found for
around the same price as PC games. And there's a lot more places to find
used Xbox games then there are used PC games. Go for it, you'll be logging
more hours on your Xbox then your PC after a few months. JLC
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 2:36:04 AM

well some of the great games would be found on xbox such as halo you
could also look into grand theft auto and if your into rpg Knights of
the old republic 1 and 2 are both great games you could check out mech
assualt 2 also a great game well trying to help

DARKSPARTEN

--
DarkSparten
DarkSparten's Profile: http://www.video-game-forum.net/member.php?userid=223

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 16:35:57 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>> Does it also fix the games so the AI isn't as dumb as DiFool to
>> compensate for players having to use joypads?
>
>Halo has excellent AI. Bad AI isn't a fault of the Xbox.

I didn't say it was the fault of the Xbox. I think Halo's AI was way
above average for consoles, all the FPS's I tried when I had a PS2
were like playing against novice level bots in UT, they give you about
3 seconds to aim with the joypad before opening fire on you.
April 4, 2005 1:12:13 AM

Andrew wrote:

> I didn't say it was the fault of the Xbox. I think Halo's AI was way
> above average for consoles, all the FPS's I tried when I had a PS2
> were like playing against novice level bots in UT, they give you about
> 3 seconds to aim with the joypad before opening fire on you.

I see now, you were talking about the PS2.
!