Ethernet and Powerline Problems

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I have a PC upstairs that's far away from my router downstairs, the signal is weak and I saw a good deal on Newegg for the TP-PA211 powerline adapters so I decided to try them. I was planning on running the powerline adapter's output to a Trendnet 8-port Gigabit GREENnet Switch. Then I would plug my PC, laptop, and Xbox into the switch.

Also, my the Ethernet port on my motherboard worked fine until about a week ago when I used it occasionally to try and stream content over an Ethernet cord to my Xbox. One day, I couldn't get a connection using it and I checked device manager on the computer. I saw under "Other Devices" "Ethernet Controller" was listed with a yellow exclamation point. I tried to update the drivers and after that didn't work I bought a new PCI-E networking adapter:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033

I just installed it and updated the drivers and connected the Xbox and PC together through the switch. I tested the PC connection and it failed. So I unplugged the switch and plugged the PC directly into the Xbox. It's still failing the PC connection test with an "IP Address Error".

So what's wrong with this connection and how can I fix it? I would like to run it through the switch because my PC only has one Ethernet port, but getting it working with a direct connection would be a good start.

-----

Here is the problem I'm having with the powerline adapter. The powerline adapter utility usually finds the other device, but it will lose it every few minutes and say "HomePlug is not detected"
Also, when I click on Device 2 in this picture and click Add or Enter Password I type in the password that is written on this device and get this error telling me the password is wrong:
5QNZV.png

How can I set this adapter up properly? I followed the little bit of support available online and nothing has changed.

A lot of issues/problems here, but one thing I did note. You said that connecting the PC directly to the XBOX resulted in an "IP Address Error". That would make sense if both devices are using DHCP since there is no access to a DHCP server when you're directly connected. You'd have to configure the IP addressing manually.

I realize that's not the crux of the problem, but I'm wondering if your ethernet adapter (old or new) actually at all, anywhere, for anything. It would be nice to know you could at least make a connection to the XBOX to confirm that *something* works.

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
OK, so just go into settings and give the xbox a set IP? I'll try that out now. The xbox also has a wireless adapter and that does connect, but the signal is weak.

Edit:
I used the "Configure Network" wizard on the xbox to set the IP to 192.168.1.92 and I am still getting an "IP Address Error".

My computer's IP is 192.168.1.65

Edit 2:
I saw that my default gateway was wrong, so I fixed that. Now instead of getting an "IP Address Error" I get a "Media Sharing Problem". I can connect to the Network now using the Wired connection and doing the PC connection test, but I can not connect to the PC. Before the test would fail the network part of the test and wouldn't move onto the PC part.

The media sharing problem may simply be because the XBOX is not really connected to a gateway. Perhaps it's trying to use UPnP to open ports on the router or something. The better news is that it appears the network adapter and cable are at least working!

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
How can I check that? The Gateway is set to my Modem/Router gateway from AT&T. I guess it's not really connected to that though since ICS is disabled and it's plugged directly into the PC. However, it stopped getting the IP address error after I changed the gateway so maybe I'm wrong.

The point of testing w/ the PC connected directly to the XBOX was to verify that the PC’s network card does work. You manually configured the IP address and configured the default gateway, which lead to this “Media Sharing Problem”. But this is to be expected since when directly connected to the PC, the XBOX doesn’t actually have access to the gateway, despite having the right IP address. Again, the point of the exercise was to determine if the network card is functioning properly, and from everything I’ve seen so far, it probably is.

So at this point, I don’t think it has anything to do w/ the router, XBOX, or even the PC’s network card, but more likely the powerline adapter(s), since you did report problems w/ it. Both for testing purposes and as a temporary workaround, it might be best to run a wired connection between the router and the switch.

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Actually these are two separate problems. This problem is occurring while the PC is disconnected from the switch and powerline adapters. I disconnected the powerline adapters so I could get this problem solved first, then I can move onto those.

This problem is occurring while the PC is connected to the network by an Alfa Wireless Adapter. The PC also has an Ethernet cord running to the Xbox. What I'm trying to do is get rid of the 'Media Sharing Problem' so I can stream from the PC to the Xbox so its output is on the TV.

Also, I don't think this matters, but the Xbox can connect to the network when it is moved closer to the access point and I use its wireless adapter to connect.

This is the first time you've ever mentioned wireless adapters! As far I knew, the PC (and XBOX for that matter) was and always was connected via wire, either the router or more likely the powerline adapters.

You have to keep me informed as to what's there and how it's connected. I'm flying blind here and it would have been helpful to know about the wireless adapters.

So basically, putting the powerline adapters issue aside, it just comes down to a wireless range issue.

What you can do (and perhaps is what you’re trying to do) is configure the PC as a wireless ethernet bridge. Make sure the PC and XBOX are configured for DHCP (so if you still have those static IP assignments on both, change both back to DHCP). And keep them connected via wire.

On the PC, go to Network Connections (Windows key + R, type "ncpa.cpl" (no quotes) and hit enter), select the wireless and wired connections, right click, and select Bridge Connections. The XBOX should now get connected to the router and internet via the PC.

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I changed the Xbox settings back to automatic and now it fails to even connect to the network, before I bridged it and when it was static, it would connect to network, but fail PC. As soon as I bridged the connections the PC lost its connection to the internet.

z3eFd.png

digKO.png

While the PC is in this bridged state...

Hit Windows key + R, copy/paste the following into the box, and hit enter.

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > %tmp%\tmp.txt && start notepad %tmp%\tmp.txt"

This will open a file detailing your network configuration. Cut and paste the contents to this forum.

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Chris-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 6A-05-CA-0A-1C-1B
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ccd:5b03:5563:8f48%30(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.143.72(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 510264778
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-17-C6-F4-F1-00-C0-CA-4F-56-8C
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{61140A48-C0A8-4460-878B-65E8D4EFBF80}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Chris-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 68-05-CA-0A-1C-1B
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8192:de4:e5ac:142f%13(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.20.47(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 359138762
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-CA-4F-56-8C
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2c95:f4c2:6e52:f0b5%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.65(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:59:34 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 27, 2012 3:59:36 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234930378
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:953c:38a8:32c0:9cda:ed85(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::38a8:32c0:9cda:ed85%12(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{A3C8C46B-858D-4F43-9719-D8A03459C639}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter isatap.gateway.2wire.net:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

Just as a sanity check, I created a bridged connection here w/ Win7 (haven't done it in ages, usually use XP where things are simpler) and it defaulted to a public network and would not allow access to the bridged device. So I changed it to home network and it did.

That’s the problem w/ Win7, it’s much more security aware and places up obstacles like public vs. home networks.

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Mine is clickable, but it won't let me change any of the info. I can when I'm connected by WiFi, but when I bridge the connection it immediately changes to "Unidentified Network" and I can't change it.