Which games did you play in March? [Poll]

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Games
  • IBM
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
April 2, 2005 2:27:38 AM

Just like same post in Feburary, this is a general poll to see which games
or game mods are still popular enough to be currently played. (We need
something on-topic...)

You don't have to list absolutly everything you've looked at - just
something significant enough that you'd remember. Also, you don't have to
list games you hate, especially when you are embarrased to admit that you
played it. :)

Games that are run through an emulated system such as Vice or Mame are
excluded. Thus, you can't list Bazooka Bill as one of the games you played
and liked unless you've used an original Commodore 64.

To get the ball rolling:
- Counter-Strike
- Day of Defeat
- Half-Life 2
- System Shock
- Team Fortress Classic
- Unreal Tournament 2004
- Worms Armageddeon

One last thing - this is a flame free thread. Making unprovoked attacks on
other people means that you do not play games at all.

More about : games play march poll

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 7:47:37 AM

Raymond Martineau wrote:
> Just like same post in Feburary, this is a general poll to see which
games
> or game mods are still popular enough to be currently played. (We
need
> something on-topic...)

You beat me to it (the Feb one was started by me).

Poor show I'm afraid, consisting entirely of...

Far Cry (still. "Boat" level - most excellent and damn hard)
April 2, 2005 12:00:07 PM

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
news:o k2s41tl7b9sgh8if1p78fhuec2k0haoja@4ax.com...
> Just like same post in Feburary, this is a general poll to see which games
> or game mods are still popular enough to be currently played. (We need
> something on-topic...)
>
> You don't have to list absolutly everything you've looked at - just
> something significant enough that you'd remember. Also, you don't have to
> list games you hate, especially when you are embarrased to admit that you
> played it. :)
>
> Games that are run through an emulated system such as Vice or Mame are
> excluded. Thus, you can't list Bazooka Bill as one of the games you
> played
> and liked unless you've used an original Commodore 64.
>
> To get the ball rolling:
> - Counter-Strike
> - Day of Defeat
> - Half-Life 2
> - System Shock
> - Team Fortress Classic
> - Unreal Tournament 2004
> - Worms Armageddeon

- HL2
- CS:Source
- Freedom Force: Third Reich
- Brothers in Arms
- Lego Star Wars (just on the 31st of March when I got it)
- SWAT 4 demo
- FarCry (just to see it at full detail on the new comp)
- Riddick demo

turk
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great

On 2 Apr 2005 03:47:37 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Raymond Martineau wrote:
>> Just like same post in Feburary, this is a general poll to see which
>games
>> or game mods are still popular enough to be currently played. (We
>need
>> something on-topic...)
>
>You beat me to it (the Feb one was started by me).

I was thinking about making an immediate followup saying that the poll
results are in, which would only include the games I played.

At the last minute, I decided not to. :)
April 2, 2005 4:08:32 PM

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 22:27:38 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
wrote:

>Just like same post in Feburary, this is a general poll to see which games
>or game mods are still popular enough to be currently played. (We need
>something on-topic...)

Same as before, HL2 (playing through for third time), SWAT 4 demo,
BF1942/Desert Combat, UT2004.

Where oh where is the BIA demo?
April 2, 2005 4:12:37 PM

Raymond Martineau wrote:
> Just like same post in Feburary, this is a general poll to see which games
> or game mods are still popular enough to be currently played. (We need
> something on-topic...)
>
> You don't have to list absolutly everything you've looked at - just
> something significant enough that you'd remember. Also, you don't have to
> list games you hate, especially when you are embarrased to admit that you
> played it. :)
>
> Games that are run through an emulated system such as Vice or Mame are
> excluded. Thus, you can't list Bazooka Bill as one of the games you played
> and liked unless you've used an original Commodore 64.
>
> To get the ball rolling:
> - Counter-Strike
> - Day of Defeat
> - Half-Life 2
> - System Shock
> - Team Fortress Classic
> - Unreal Tournament 2004
> - Worms Armageddeon
>
> One last thing - this is a flame free thread. Making unprovoked attacks on
> other people means that you do not play games at all.

- BIA
- Crusader Kings
- Hearts of Iron II
- Strategic Command
- Day of Defeat
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 4:37:02 PM

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
news:o k2s41tl7b9sgh8if1p78fhuec2k0haoja@4ax.com...
> Just like same post in Feburary, this is a general poll to see which games
> or game mods are still popular enough to be currently played. (We need
> something on-topic...)
>
> You don't have to list absolutly everything you've looked at - just
> something significant enough that you'd remember. Also, you don't have to
> list games you hate, especially when you are embarrased to admit that you
> played it. :)
>
> Games that are run through an emulated system such as Vice or Mame are
> excluded. Thus, you can't list Bazooka Bill as one of the games you
> played
> and liked unless you've used an original Commodore 64.
>
> To get the ball rolling:
> - Counter-Strike
> - Day of Defeat
> - Half-Life 2
> - System Shock
> - Team Fortress Classic
> - Unreal Tournament 2004
> - Worms Armageddeon

Freedom Force vs the Third Reich
Half-Life 2 Substance mod
Republic Commando
Hearts of Iron 2
Vice City

I played a lot more but am not allowed state emulated games according to
your rules.

> One last thing - this is a flame free thread.

"Making unprovoked attacks on other people means that you do not play games
at all."

How does that work? Obviously its entirely possible to both, as you could
flame someone inbetween a gaming session.

Any way, I have just got Cold Fear and am about to install. Not liking the
sound of having to play for several hours before you can save, but I'll see
how it goes.
--
Les
Anonymous

Online:
U2:XMP
Joint Ops + Escalation

Offline:
Rome: Total War
Silent Hunter 3
Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 7:45:57 PM

bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote in
news:o k2s41tl7b9sgh8if1p78fhuec2k0haoja@4ax.com:

> Just like same post in Feburary, this is a general poll to see which
> games or game mods are still popular enough to be currently played.
> (We need something on-topic...)
>
> You don't have to list absolutly everything you've looked at - just
> something significant enough that you'd remember. Also, you don't
> have to list games you hate, especially when you are embarrased to
> admit that you played it. :)
>
> Games that are run through an emulated system such as Vice or Mame are
> excluded. Thus, you can't list Bazooka Bill as one of the games you
> played and liked unless you've used an original Commodore 64.
>
> To get the ball rolling:
> - Counter-Strike
> - Day of Defeat
> - Half-Life 2
> - System Shock
> - Team Fortress Classic
> - Unreal Tournament 2004
> - Worms Armageddeon
>
> One last thing - this is a flame free thread. Making unprovoked
> attacks on other people means that you do not play games at all.

- Doom 3
- Evil Genius
- Half life 2
- Star Wars: Republic Commando
- KOTOR 2
- Americas Army
- Prince of Persia: Warrior Within demo
April 3, 2005 12:30:56 AM

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
news:o k2s41tl7b9sgh8if1p78fhuec2k0haoja@4ax.com...
> Just like same post in Feburary, this is a general poll to see which games
> or game mods are still popular enough to be currently played. (We need
> something on-topic...)

KotoR 2
then Kotor 1 (for the second time)
BiA
SW: Republic Commando
Starcraft - LAN multiplay
for online - Day of Defeat
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 12:39:49 PM

GEEKS. I just watched porn all March.

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 20:30:56 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

>"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
>news:o k2s41tl7b9sgh8if1p78fhuec2k0haoja@4ax.com...
>> Just like same post in Feburary, this is a general poll to see which games
>> or game mods are still popular enough to be currently played. (We need
>> something on-topic...)
>
>KotoR 2
>then Kotor 1 (for the second time)
>BiA
>SW: Republic Commando
>Starcraft - LAN multiplay
>for online - Day of Defeat

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 10:58:39 PM

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
news:o k2s41tl7b9sgh8if1p78fhuec2k0haoja@4ax.com...
> Just like same post in Feburary, this is a general poll to see which games
> or game mods are still popular enough to be currently played. (We need
> something on-topic...)
>
> You don't have to list absolutly everything you've looked at - just
> something significant enough that you'd remember. Also, you don't have to
> list games you hate, especially when you are embarrased to admit that you
> played it. :)
>
> Games that are run through an emulated system such as Vice or Mame are
> excluded. Thus, you can't list Bazooka Bill as one of the games you
> played
> and liked unless you've used an original Commodore 64.
>
> To get the ball rolling:
> - Counter-Strike
> - Day of Defeat
> - Half-Life 2
> - System Shock
> - Team Fortress Classic
> - Unreal Tournament 2004
> - Worms Armageddeon
>
> One last thing - this is a flame free thread. Making unprovoked attacks
> on
> other people means that you do not play games at all.
I played Syberia 2 and Far Cry.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 3:14:24 PM

bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote:
>Just like same post in Feburary, this is a general poll to see which games
>or game mods are still popular enough to be currently played. (We need
>something on-topic...)
>
>You don't have to list absolutly everything you've looked at - just
>something significant enough that you'd remember. Also, you don't have to
>list games you hate, especially when you are embarrased to admit that you
>played it. :)
>
>Games that are run through an emulated system such as Vice or Mame are
>excluded. Thus, you can't list Bazooka Bill as one of the games you played
>and liked unless you've used an original Commodore 64.
>
>To get the ball rolling:
>- Counter-Strike
>- Day of Defeat
>- Half-Life 2
>- System Shock
>- Team Fortress Classic
>- Unreal Tournament 2004
>- Worms Armageddeon
>
>One last thing - this is a flame free thread. Making unprovoked attacks on
>other people means that you do not play games at all.

Master of Orion.
Age of Empires.
Morrowind.
Half Life.
I tried giving Alien Legacy a try but it wouldn't detect the CD in E:
April 5, 2005 1:34:56 AM

Raymond Martineau wrote:
> Just like same post in Feburary, this is a general poll to see which games
> or game mods are still popular enough to be currently played. (We need
> something on-topic...)
>
> You don't have to list absolutly everything you've looked at - just
> something significant enough that you'd remember. Also, you don't have to
> list games you hate, especially when you are embarrased to admit that you
> played it. :)
>
> Games that are run through an emulated system such as Vice or Mame are
> excluded. Thus, you can't list Bazooka Bill as one of the games you played
> and liked unless you've used an original Commodore 64.
>
> To get the ball rolling:
> - Counter-Strike
> - Day of Defeat
> - Half-Life 2
> - System Shock
> - Team Fortress Classic
> - Unreal Tournament 2004
> - Worms Armageddeon
>
> One last thing - this is a flame free thread. Making unprovoked attacks on
> other people means that you do not play games at all.

Painkiller Black Edition
UT04
CS:S

....both the latter single player & lan - hate getting slaughtered by
foul-louthed 13yr olds online :-)

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.

Digital Sheep wrote:

> GEEKS. I just watched porn all March.

noob - get two monitors and do both like us :-)

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.
You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
taming, say, via banking...
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:20:30 PM

Day of Defeat
Worms 3D
Vampire Bloodlines
UT2004
GTA Vice City
HL2
SWAT4 demo
April 6, 2005 2:02:56 AM

"Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com> wrote in message

- finished off Far Cry
- some Far Cry home grown SP maps
- Brothers in Arms
- Riddick demo
- Splinter Cell 3 demo
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:38:23 AM

Sticking to my Favs: played the following
Call Of Duty - FarCry - BF1942 - Halo - Men Of Valor - Star Wars
Battlefront
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:54:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

stePH wrote:
> bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote
>
>> Games that are run through an emulated system such as Vice or Mame
>> are excluded. Thus, you can't list Bazooka Bill as one of the games
>> you played and liked unless you've used an original Commodore 64.
>
> I guess I can't list Final Fantasy then (NES emulated on PC.)
> I'm out; I haven't played any other games in March.

Same here, but I'm playing the PSone game Vagrant Story instead (ePSXe
emulated on PC) and damn it Ashley Riot, I can't stop it.

I liked it a whole lot when it first came out but had never actually beaten
it - it's not an easy game by any means, but it is oh so good and it just
keeps getting better (and harder).

It's by far the best game Square ever put out (sorry FF fanbois :)  Only
Chrono Trigger comes close, I think.

But that's another story and we're *way* off topic here already.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 6:43:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

The furthest I ever reached was where Ashley finds the Damascus
Workshop - it was well over 50% complete...
Thanks for reminding me about VS, I still have the save file somewhere
on a memory card and try to complete it once and for all.

Vagrant Story is still one of the greatest action RPGs of all time imo
April 8, 2005 6:19:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

i dont have time anymore, just mtg: duel of the plainswalkers for me.
solitaire
action whilst on the bus to and from work.

BuckFush wrote:
> stePH wrote:
>> bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote
>>
>>> Games that are run through an emulated system such as Vice or Mame
>>> are excluded. Thus, you can't list Bazooka Bill as one of the games
>>> you played and liked unless you've used an original Commodore 64.
>>
>> I guess I can't list Final Fantasy then (NES emulated on PC.)
>> I'm out; I haven't played any other games in March.
>
> Same here, but I'm playing the PSone game Vagrant Story instead (ePSXe
> emulated on PC) and damn it Ashley Riot, I can't stop it.
>
> I liked it a whole lot when it first came out but had never actually
> beaten it - it's not an easy game by any means, but it is oh so good
> and it just keeps getting better (and harder).
>
> It's by far the best game Square ever put out (sorry FF fanbois :)
> Only Chrono Trigger comes close, I think.
>
> But that's another story and we're *way* off topic here already.
April 9, 2005 9:12:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 00:54:35 GMT, "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com>
wrote:

>But that's another story and we're *way* off topic here already.

I played WoW in march. That's the only computer game I played in
March. And it was time not well spent. 20% customer satisfaction
rating.

I played KOTOR 2 in February. Decent game, hopeless game engine. 60%
customer satisfaction rating.

I played no computer game in January. 0% customer satisfaction rating.

I'm playing n computer game in April. 0% customer satisfaction rating.

Damn. I'm one unhappy customer. I wonder if I even count as a customer
anymore? I mean, I'm not 12... and I don't like console games... and I
haven't played a game worthy of a 90% review score since 1999. What's
the deal?
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 1:43:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Thrasher <spectre911@hotmail.com> once tried to test me with:

> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 00:54:35 GMT, "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com>
> wrote:
>
>>But that's another story and we're *way* off topic here already.
>
> I played WoW in march. That's the only computer game I played in
> March. And it was time not well spent. 20% customer satisfaction
> rating.
>
> I played KOTOR 2 in February. Decent game, hopeless game engine. 60%
> customer satisfaction rating.
>
> I played no computer game in January. 0% customer satisfaction rating.
>
> I'm playing n computer game in April. 0% customer satisfaction rating.

You could go play EQ2 and get a 30% customer satisfaction rating and
experience the joy of another endless grind ala EQ1.

> Damn. I'm one unhappy customer. I wonder if I even count as a customer
> anymore? I mean, I'm not 12... and I don't like console games... and I
> haven't played a game worthy of a 90% review score since 1999. What's
> the deal?

The "deal" is that you're a jaded gamer. You've seen it all, and done it
all. Nothing will please you, because your standards are so high that
nothing can. When you're only satisified with the top 1% of games ever
released, you're going to be disappointed a hell of a lot of the time.

But hey, at least there's USENET. You can always come bitch here.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:10:35 AM

bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) writes:

> Just like same post in Feburary, this is a general poll to see which games
> or game mods are still popular enough to be currently played. (We need
> something on-topic...)

Far Cry, Chrome, Kotor2, X-Wing.
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:43:18 AM

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 22:27:38 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote:

And now, for the results. They are a bit skewed since I only posted the
poll on the action group, but here they are:

(8: Half-Life 2 Based games)
(6: Half-Life Based games)
(6: Half-Life Official series)
6: Far Cry
5: Half-Life 2
(4: Star Wars: KOTOR series)
4: Unreal Tournament 2004
3: Brothers in Arms
3: Day of Defeat
3: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2
3: Swat 4 (Demo)
(2: Battlefield 1942 Based games)
2: Chronicals of Riddick (all demo)
2: Counter-Strike: Source
2: Freedom Force vs the Third Reich
2: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
2: Halo
2: Hearts of Iron 2
2: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (1 demo)
2: Star Wars: Republic Commando
2: World of Warcraft
(2: Worms Series)
(2: X-Com Series)

- Age of Empires
- America's Army
- Battlefield 1942
- Battlefield 1942: Desert Combat mod
- Call of Duty
- Chrome
- Counter-Strike
- Crusader Kings
- Doom 3
- Evil Genius
- Half-Life
- Half-Life 2 Substance Mod
- Lego Star Wars
- Joint Ops + Escalation
- Magic The Gathering: Duel of the Plainswalkers
- Master of Orion
- Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault
- Men of Valor
- Morrowwind
- Painkiller (Black Edition)
(- Playboy: The Mansion - hey, someone said that they watched porn... :)
- Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (1 demo)
- Project Snowblind
- Rome: Total War
- Silent Hunter 3
- "Solitaire"
- Starcraft
- Star Wars: Battlefront
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars: X-Wing
- Strategic Command
- Syberia 2
- System Shock
- Team Fortress Classic
- Unreal 2
- Vampire Bloodlines
- Worms Armageddeon
- Worms 3D

(Items in parenthesis are either not official, sub-totals of moddable
games, or sub-totals of games in the same series. Aggregate totals may
include games form the same person multiple times, and thus can be skewed.)

Lessons learned: use a better tabulation system, and crosspost to the other
CSIPG groups. :)
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 6:38:26 PM

Thusly Thrasher <spectre911@hotmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>I played KOTOR 2 in February.

The imposter strikes again?

I don't exactly remember the deal, but didn't Thrasher (the real one)
refuse to play KOTOR?

Anyway, if this is the real thrasher: Play KOTOR instead. It's a
better game than KOTOR2, although the graphics are identical.

The engine is the one from Neverweiner Nights by the way. Explains a
lot, doesn't it.
April 11, 2005 4:31:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
On 2005-04-09, Thrasher <spectre911@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 00:54:35 GMT, "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com>
> wrote:

> Damn. I'm one unhappy customer. I wonder if I even count as a customer
> anymore? I mean, I'm not 12... and I don't like console games... and I
> haven't played a game worthy of a 90% review score since 1999. What's
> the deal?

You can always STOP playing PC games and move onto other hobbies
like fishing or ice sculpting.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 12:17:14 PM

shadows wrote:

>["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
>On 2005-04-09, Thrasher <spectre911@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 00:54:35 GMT, "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>Damn. I'm one unhappy customer. I wonder if I even count as a customer
>>anymore? I mean, I'm not 12... and I don't like console games... and I
>>haven't played a game worthy of a 90% review score since 1999. What's
>>the deal?
>>

>You can always STOP playing PC games and move onto other hobbies
>like fishing or ice sculpting.

Or just come here and criticize others.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 1:33:25 PM

Thrasher <spectre...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I haven't played a game worthy of a 90% review score since 1999.
---

Just out of interest - what game was that?
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 1:33:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Thrasher <spectre...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I haven't played a game worthy of a 90% review score since 1999.
---

Just out of interest - what game was that?
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:15:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Nov: CoH
Dec: EQ 2
Jan: EQ 2
Feb: EQ 2
Mar: EQ 2
Apr: WoW
Last played game I'd give a 90%+ ... Kotor (played it in Xbox). Last
played PC game I'd give a 90%+ ... City of Heroes
!