Can a weak power supply cause bad video?

ddv33

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
My 3d graphics are slow and action strangly on my new pc i built. Someone suggested that my 300W power supply is too low and is causing the problem.

I'm just wondering if it makes sense that the system would boot up fine, but the power supply still be the cause of the slow video card.
thanks

heres my specs:
Abit KX7-333
AMD XP 2100+
Leadtek GF4 ti4600
768 MB crucial ddr 2100
80 gb ibm 7200
santa cruz sound card
plextor 40x burner
16x dvd rom
enermax 300w power

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Darbish Fish, Mmmmm Floppy!

Not sure if a PSU will slow down a gfx card, but by the look of your system, that PSU is probably running at near full power. Perhaps it's a good idea to get a good quality 350W or 400W supply anyway.

<b><font color=blue>~ BIOS SETTINGS: Fast, Hot, Unstable...That ought to work. ~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Possibly an IRQ conflict? I had a slow video card until I manually assigned IRQ's in the BIOS and now framerates are 30-40% higher and there are no more intermittent pauses.

1° of separation between my monopoly and yours. That's business with .NET

ddv33

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
OK it wasn't the power supply, a new one didn't fix it.
So, I will try the other video card next. If that doesn't solve the problem, what else could it be?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Darbish Fish, Mmmmm Floppy!

IRQs, drivers, BIOS etc etc

Any number of issues. Best to make sure the system works with some other card. If it does, you know it's card related (maybe drivers or software), or even the card is duff.

If the problem occurs with any gfx card, then it's possibly BIOS, OS or hardware.

<b><font color=blue>~ BIOS SETTINGS: Fast, Hot, Unstable...That ought to work. ~</font color=blue></b> :wink: