What are the commands for DOS?

Fuzz009

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2001
I am trying to install windows xp from the harddrive. For some reason everytime I try to install from the rom it freezes up. So i installed 98 and then copied the i386 folder to the c drive and then ran install. Everything worked great!!!!!!! Love it.

Anyway. I was hoping someone could tell me what are the commands to copy the i386 folder in dos so i do not have 98se stored on the drive. I prefer a clean install.

Please tell me how to do this. Step by step. Please be detailed. I was raised in a gui generation. lol.

Thanks for your time. Very much appreciated.

chluu

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2001
I forget which command actually copies directories. It's probably XCOPY but if it doesn't work you can create the new directory with the command MD and then copy all the files with the COPY command. Make sure to recreate the subdirectory structure of the new directory.

Claude

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Yes it xcopy.

Typing <b>xcopy/?</b> will tell you the command line and switches.

First create a directory (i386) on c: drive, then goto your i386 directory on the xp disk and type: <b>xcopy *.* c:\i386 /e</b>.

<i>It is not illegal until you get caught! :wink: </i>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
if your boot floppy doesnt have xcopy on- which a lot dont, do this: longer way round but works fine,

C:
md i386
X: (where X is cd drive)
cd i386
copy *.* c:\i386

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?