Your question

SCSI vs. IDE

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SCSI
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 4, 2002 7:33:36 AM

I really need some help. I am getting two ultra2 scsi drives and a ultra2 adapter for free. The drives are 80 - pin sca drives and are atleast 10k rpm 18 gig. I don't know what brand or model (I'm guessing seagate or fujitsu). I ordered the sca 80 - 68 converters.

Now for the questions.

1) Will I need any termination at the end of the cable? I really don't know much about the differnces between lvd, se, or any other form of termination.

2) Is Ultra2 going to be faster then ata100? From what I have read Ultra2 has a max throughput of 40 Megs. I know ide drives never ever touch a 100 Meg throughput but I know some of the WD SE drives hit 49 sustained and raid 0 can hit about 86. I use my system mainly for games, dvd - vcd conversion, and web surfing. Also work with mp3 alot.

I have never touched SCSI before in my life and any advice, hints, or tips would greatly appreciated(sp?). Also my system specs are as followed.

Athlon xp 1600+
Ecs K7S5A
512 Meg. pc2100
40 gig ata100 maxtor
visiontek gf3ti200 (runs primary display)
voodoo 3 3000 pci (runs second display)

More about : scsi ide

August 4, 2002 8:43:24 AM

These days the controllers act as one terminator and the last drive on the chain acts as the other.

Should be faster. You'll certainly have faster seek times.

<b><font color=blue>~ BIOS SETTINGS: Fast, Hot, Unstable...That ought to work. ~</font color=blue></b> :wink:
August 4, 2002 1:34:06 PM

1. Probably not. Ditto the last guy.

2. It really depends on what you're doing. It's probably not going to be 'faster', but it's a hell of a lot more flexable. You don't really see the Scsi difference until you raid 3 or 4 drives together. In that case, scsi (beyond any hope of recovery) completely smoke chex IDE.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 4, 2002 3:46:14 PM

I'm sure you have a lot of questions about SCSI, and there are a lot of answers to those question so here are some links to help you discover the world of SCSI.

<A HREF="http://scsifaq.org:9080/scsi_faq/" target="_new">Gary Field's SCSI Info Central</A>
<A HREF="http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/scsi/" target="_new">PC Guide</A>
<A HREF="http://scsi.radified.com/scsi_01.htm" target="_new">Radified Guide to SCSI</A>
<A HREF="http://www.paralan.com/glos.html" target="_new">SCSI Glossary</A>

Among these links you should find some answers. Then post again when you need the help, or when you get stuck.

<font color=purple><b>An average human brain weights aprox. 3lbs., but a thought weights a load.</font color=purple></b>
August 5, 2002 2:35:19 AM

hey JC...
if you dont mind i will add your links to the HDD FAQ (and include your name to the list of honour)

they be useful links.

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>
August 5, 2002 3:10:01 AM

Well, I am honored! I am most glad to help whenever it is possible. Thanks. Uh-um...thank hammy also. :smile:

<font color=purple><b>An average human brain weights aprox. 3lbs., but a thought weights a load.</font color=purple></b>
August 5, 2002 3:31:48 AM

just one more question... do u have any colour prefrence for your name in the acknowledgments?
:smile:

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>
August 5, 2002 3:35:08 AM

<b><font color=purple>I'm glad you asked. Thanks again.</b></font color=purple>

August 5, 2002 3:40:05 AM

<font color=purple>ha</font color=purple>ha<font color=purple>ha</font color=purple>ha

August 5, 2002 4:10:05 AM

done.

August 5, 2002 10:42:43 AM

I just checked my colour. Excellent! How did you guess?

<b><font color=blue>~ BIOS SETTINGS: Fast, Hot, Unstable...That ought to work. ~</font color=blue></b> :wink:
August 5, 2002 11:12:34 AM

Hamster Intuition?

!