Pod 2.0 midrange problem

Last response: in Home Audio
August 21, 2004 12:57:17 PM

After cutting several tracks with the Pod 2.0 ranging from crunchy
type guitars to Nashville twang, I've noticed (no matter what amp is
picked)that upon playback, I'm getting more 1-2 khz information on the
tracks. They certainly didn't sound that way when they were recorded.
I've used Sonar 3.0, a Roland VS1680 and a Tascam 2488, all with the
same playback results. I prefer to get the sound right as I record and
find it irritating that I have to cut the mids in this area after the
fact. Line 6 tech support couldn't help. Any ideas on why this is
happening?

Thanks!

More about : pod midrange problem

Anonymous
August 21, 2004 11:04:07 PM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 08:57:17 -0700, Gaffpro wrote:

> After cutting several tracks with the Pod 2.0 ranging from crunchy
> type guitars to Nashville twang, I've noticed (no matter what amp is
> picked)that upon playback, I'm getting more 1-2 khz information on the
> tracks. They certainly didn't sound that way when they were recorded.
> I've used Sonar 3.0, a Roland VS1680 and a Tascam 2488, all with the
> same playback results. I prefer to get the sound right as I record and
> find it irritating that I have to cut the mids in this area after the
> fact. Line 6 tech support couldn't help. Any ideas on why this is
> happening?
>

> Thanks!

There are some options.

1 You are imagining it. Try a double blind test if possible. I don't mean
that in a patronising way, perception changes on playback compared to
while performing.

2 Your recorder is not flat, and should do the same to every track you
record. The problem is not specific to the pod, but affects any recording.

3 You are going digitally from the pod into the recorder, and the recorder
is not locking properly to the spdif clock. Continuous digital errors
sound like top end futzy stuff sometimes.

4 Your monitoring path sounds different to your playback path. Are you
monitoring through the recorders AD/DA and mixer or through a seperate
analog desk?
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 9:23:48 AM

On Aug 21, 2004, Gaffpro <Gaffpro@aol.com> commented:

> After cutting several tracks with the Pod 2.0 ranging from crunchy
> type guitars to Nashville twang, I've noticed (no matter what amp is
> picked)that upon playback, I'm getting more 1-2 khz information on the
> tracks.
>--------------------------------snip----------------------------------<

What record mode are you using in the iPod? If it's uncompressed 44.1 WAV
files, going in as a digital file, it should be pretty much flat. I'm told
Apple Lossless Compression is also pretty good (according to no less than
John Atkinson in this month's STEREOPHILE magazine).

If you're using MP3 (or actually AAC in the iPod), all bets are off. There's
a lot of weird non-linear distortion in some of those modes, especially at
the highest-compression settings.

--MFW
[remove the extra M above for email]
August 22, 2004 1:10:34 PM

I'm not using an ipod, I'm using a Line6 Pod guitar processor.

My monitoring path isn't any different than the playback path. On all
my recorders, the tracks I record sound the same upon playback, except
when I cut guitar tracks with the Pod. I am going in digitally at 24
bit (no problems there)and I wish I was imagining the sound
difference. i guess I'll have to EQ after the fact, I was hoping to
avoid that.
August 22, 2004 3:48:03 PM

"Marc Wielage" <mfw@mmusictrax.com> wrote in message
> On Aug 21, 2004, Gaffpro <Gaffpro@aol.com> commented:
>
> > After cutting several tracks with the Pod 2.0 ranging from crunchy
> > type guitars to Nashville twang, I've noticed (no matter what amp is
> > picked)that upon playback, I'm getting more 1-2 khz information on the
> > tracks.
> >--------------------------------snip----------------------------------<
>
> What record mode are you using in the iPod? If it's uncompressed 44.1 WAV
> files, going in as a digital file, it should be pretty much flat. I'm
told
> Apple Lossless Compression is also pretty good (according to no less than
> John Atkinson in this month's STEREOPHILE magazine).
>
> If you're using MP3 (or actually AAC in the iPod), all bets are off.
There's
> a lot of weird non-linear distortion in some of those modes, especially at
> the highest-compression settings.
>
> --MFW
> [remove the extra M above for email]

I think this is about the Line 6 Pod (guitar pre-amp). A muli-track iPod
though wouldn't be a bad idea though.

And I would ask if your recording in mono while monitoring in sterio. A
mono signal could give an illusion of more presence.

If your recording sterio via two mono tracks panned full right and left (the
'correct' method apparantly) some program's will give a slight boost in
volume to anything that's fully panned. Perhaps your recording sterio and
playing back the two tracks together in mono? That would definately boost
the power.

A common issue with effects boxes is what sounds great through headphones
while jamming alone doesn't always stand up against the other sounds in the
mix. Perhaps your experiencing the opposite. If your monitoring with
additional insturments in the mix, perhaps they're masking the offending
range.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 8:32:35 PM

In article <9748fb84.0408220810.6e533964@posting.google.com>,
Gaffpro@aol.com (Gaffpro) wrote:

>I'm not using an ipod, I'm using a Line6 Pod guitar processor.
>
>My monitoring path isn't any different than the playback path. On all
>my recorders, the tracks I record sound the same upon playback, except
>when I cut guitar tracks with the Pod. I am going in digitally at 24
>bit (no problems there)and I wish I was imagining the sound
>difference. i guess I'll have to EQ after the fact, I was hoping to
>avoid that.

I don't have a Pod, but could there be a problem with speaker emulation
being in one of your signal paths, but not the other? Forgive me if I'm
obviously wrong, as I've already deleted the start of this thread.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 2:18:57 AM

On Aug 22, 2004, terry <reply2group@thanks.zzz> commented:

> I think this is about the Line 6 Pod (guitar pre-amp). A muli-track iPod
> though wouldn't be a bad idea though.
>--------------------------------snip----------------------------------<

DOH! I saw "iPod" instead of Pod -- my apologies.

--MFW
[remove the extra M above for email]
August 24, 2004 1:35:42 PM

Gaffpro@aol.com (Gaffpro) wrote in message news:<9748fb84.0408210757.2445110c@posting.google.com>...
> After cutting several tracks with the Pod 2.0 ranging from crunchy
> type guitars to Nashville twang, I've noticed (no matter what amp is
> picked)that upon playback, I'm getting more 1-2 khz information on the
> tracks. They certainly didn't sound that way when they were recorded.
> I've used Sonar 3.0, a Roland VS1680 and a Tascam 2488, all with the
> same playback results. I prefer to get the sound right as I record and
> find it irritating that I have to cut the mids in this area after the
> fact. Line 6 tech support couldn't help. Any ideas on why this is
> happening?
>

> Thanks!

Are you playing guitar yourself? When you play as opposed to critical
listening you don't hear it the same at all. Sounds kind of wacky but
your brain resonates sympathetically with what you are playing during
the course of it. Are the other tracks that sound okay played by
someone else?

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
!