Latency Explanation Plz

I'd really appreciate someone explaining Latency to me. I understand the basic idea of what it is, and how it increases in a situation where you use 2 sticks instead of 1 for an equivalent amount of RAM, but what do all the numbers mean ? For example, I'm looking at buying some PC3200 Corsair RAM that:

"has been verified to operate at 200 MHz (2.5-3-3, 2T command rate) and 166 MHz (2-2-2,1T command rate)."

Cheers,
JasonR
3 answers Last reply
More about latency explanation
  1. generally, the lower the latency the better ie,faster preformance ram
    for my mobo MSI K7T266 Pro2 RU i 've set my Legend pc2100 256mb to

Cas Latency = 2
    Row Precharge Time = 2T
    RAS Pulse Width = 5T
    Ras to Cas Delay = 2T
    bank-Interleave = 4Way
    Burst Length = 4QW
    SDRAM 1T Caommand = Enable

this is pretty much the fastest setting u can get, now u might not have all the functions in your bios, but just set what ever u can. and u have 2 change "Configure SDRam Timing" to "Usr" 1st inorder to change your ram setting.
  2. Does that satisfy what you are looking for or do you want an in depth look ate each of the settings themselves?

If you need more info...

First do a search on this community for "latency."

Second if you need more than what you find, reply here with additional questions.

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>
  3. Thanks for the help. I've been searching the web quite a bit and think I've got it figured out now.

Cheers,
    JasonR
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Latency RAM Command Prompt