Sign in with
Your question

Ethernet network adapter not detected

Last response: in Networking
August 25, 2012 3:32:48 PM

I could not boot the other day so I spent a few hour pulling everything out and checking memory components,etc.m taking the battery out finally fixed the boot issue but now there is no Internet or network detected or network adapter. It is not the router because pc in the other room is working fine on same connection. Mseems like a CMOS or bios issue. There was a message before boot about reverting to default bios settings. I can't update or remove driver because it is not detected and no Internet. Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks!!!
August 25, 2012 3:37:04 PM

There is no driver detected for the network adapter but I cannot install/ update without Internet.
August 25, 2012 4:06:49 PM

1 If you are working on a Windows system, try 'system restore' to a date a while ago when you had internet connection.
2 Try a wired connection via ethernet, by moving machine close to router.
3. Reason: I tried a live linux disk usually ok on my machine, but on closing it it messed up wireless connections setting for Windows.
However the live linux could get connected so I deduced it was Windows settings. Going back a few days got this sorted out.
Related resources
August 25, 2012 4:09:05 PM

I am using wired connection which is why it's weird. Didn't think to try system restore though. Thanks will try right now.
August 25, 2012 4:26:44 PM

Thought system restore might work but no dice. Really don't want to take to the shop. Last time no pc for 4 days and had to pay 80 bucks even though they couldn't fix it.
August 25, 2012 8:00:17 PM

Malware scan, virus scan, and disk defrag turn up nothing...
August 26, 2012 7:48:39 PM

If the network adapter is not even detected, it may very well be dead/damaged, perhaps a secondary victim of whatever caused your PC not to boot (e.g., electrical surge). At this point, I'd tried another ethernet network card, they're dirt cheap. You can grab an inexpensive USB ethernet adapter for as little as $2-3 on eBay.
August 26, 2012 11:37:22 PM

I was planning on trying to get a wireless card tomorrow. I actually hope that's what it is because at least I will no that way and I will know that it isn't more serious (I already had to replace mono and psu a few months ago. Thanks!
August 30, 2012 3:17:23 AM

Well wireless USB detected right away no problems. Too bad I didn't just try that first . Almost a week with no Internet and I get to reinstall a year of windows updates and all my games...yay.
October 29, 2012 11:28:36 AM

Stalkerjamforx said:
I could not boot the other day so I spent a few hour pulling everything out and checking memory components,etc.m taking the battery out finally fixed the boot issue but now there is no Internet or network detected or network adapter. It is not the router because pc in the other room is working fine on same connection. Mseems like a CMOS or bios issue. There was a message before boot about reverting to default bios settings. I can't update or remove driver because it is not detected and no Internet. Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks!!!

You have probably fixed this by now, but I'm guessing that the message about reverting to default bios settings is your problem - I had a similar problem when I moved my pc near to my router and wanted to use the wired connection - it was disabled in the bios.

Just enable it and problem solved :-)
!