Ethernet network adapter not detected

Stalkerjamforx

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I could not boot the other day so I spent a few hour pulling everything out and checking memory components,etc.m taking the battery out finally fixed the boot issue but now there is no Internet or network detected or network adapter. It is not the router because pc in the other room is working fine on same connection. Mseems like a CMOS or bios issue. There was a message before boot about reverting to default bios settings. I can't update or remove driver because it is not detected and no Internet. Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks!!!

eionmac

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
1 If you are working on a Windows system, try 'system restore' to a date a while ago when you had internet connection.
2 Try a wired connection via ethernet, by moving machine close to router.
3. Reason: I tried a live linux disk usually ok on my machine, but on closing it it messed up wireless connections setting for Windows.
However the live linux could get connected so I deduced it was Windows settings. Going back a few days got this sorted out.

If the network adapter is not even detected, it may very well be dead/damaged, perhaps a secondary victim of whatever caused your PC not to boot (e.g., electrical surge). At this point, I'd tried another ethernet network card, they're dirt cheap. You can grab an inexpensive USB ethernet adapter for as little as $2-3 on eBay.

Stalkerjamforx

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I was planning on trying to get a wireless card tomorrow. I actually hope that's what it is because at least I will no that way and I will know that it isn't more serious (I already had to replace mono and psu a few months ago. Thanks!

Stalkerjamforx

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Well wireless USB detected right away no problems. Too bad I didn't just try that first . Almost a week with no Internet and I get to reinstall a year of windows updates and all my games...yay.

stewartmneil

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

You have probably fixed this by now, but I'm guessing that the message about reverting to default bios settings is your problem - I had a similar problem when I moved my pc near to my router and wanted to use the wired connection - it was disabled in the bios.

Just enable it and problem solved :)