POLL: What PC games character is the biggest twat?

Last response: in Video Games
April 5, 2005 4:51:43 PM

My nomination:

Lo Wang from Shadow Warrior. Great game, but fifth-rate Duke ripoff.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 7:20:28 PM

"stePH" <acetheta@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> I have to put the Redneck Rampage guys above Lo Wang.

They at least had the decency to be disgusting though.
April 5, 2005 10:54:47 PM

Daikatana's two idiot AI sidekicks. They have to be the dumbest sidekicks
in history of gaming.
April 6, 2005 12:04:38 AM

This is an area where PCs definitely cannot compete with consoles
(e.g., Raiden from MGS2).
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 3:09:44 AM

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:51:43 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
<fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My nomination:
>
>Lo Wang from Shadow Warrior.

I'd go for thew sweat-shop manager in JA2 - can't remember her name...

> Great game, but fifth-rate Duke ripoff.

Shadow Warrior uses the same engine - of course it's going to rip off Duke
Nukem.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 12:55:02 PM

"Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Daikatana's two idiot AI sidekicks. They have to be the dumbest sidekicks
>in history of gaming.

Funnily enough, Daikatana's sidekicks had fantastic path finding.

Pity it was completely overshadowed by stupid names, "leet deathmatcher"
dialog, a propensity for running into your line of fire when they
weren't shooting you in the back, and the overwhelming idiocy that
required your "instant best friends" to be near you in order to leave a
level.

Superfly and Mikiko, or as I thought of them, Albatross and Millstone,
since the only sane thing to do was park them where they couldn't get me
killed.

Gee, I wonder why there haven't been any other FPS/Babysitter hybrids
since Daikatana.

Xocyll
April 6, 2005 7:51:29 PM

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Xocyll wrote:

> "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> looked up from reading the entrails of
> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>
> >Daikatana's two idiot AI sidekicks. They have to be the dumbest sidekicks
> >in history of gaming.
>
> Funnily enough, Daikatana's sidekicks had fantastic path finding.

Also they got themselves ammo and health which isn't standard still.

> dialog, a propensity for running into your line of fire when they
> weren't shooting you in the back, and the overwhelming idiocy that
> required your "instant best friends" to be near you in order to leave

You forgot them standing in your way or being crushed by doors, although
the former and everything you mentioned still applies to modern sidekicks,
even in HL2 or more lately in BIA. Not that frequently but still there...

April 7, 2005 7:20:09 PM

Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> looked up from reading the
say:

>On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Xocyll wrote:
>
>> "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> looked up from reading the entrails of
>> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>>
>> >Daikatana's two idiot AI sidekicks. They have to be the dumbest sidekicks
>> >in history of gaming.
>>
>> Funnily enough, Daikatana's sidekicks had fantastic path finding.
>
>Also they got themselves ammo and health which isn't standard still.

Yeah, including grabbing ammo for weapons they didn't possess, but I
did; I didn't find this to be a useful ability for them.

There's a reason it isn't standard - because the sidekicks will happily
take ammo that YOU do need and they don't and that is a serious
detraction from any game that isn't overflowing with excess ammo.

>> dialog, a propensity for running into your line of fire when they
>> weren't shooting you in the back, and the overwhelming idiocy that
>> required your "instant best friends" to be near you in order to leave
>
>You forgot them standing in your way or being crushed by doors, although
>the former and everything you mentioned still applies to modern sidekicks,
>even in HL2 or more lately in BIA. Not that frequently but still there...

Mercifully I'd blanked out the "stand and get crushed" part of the AI.

The pathfinding though, wow was that good.

When you can call them to come to you and they can navigate an entire
level of ladders, jumps, and so on to reach you, that's good
pathfinding.

Pity the rest of the AI was as retarded as the leet speek dialog Romero
and crew thought would be cool.

The whole "plot" hook nonsense saying that catastrophe would result if
the two Daikatanas touched was more than slightly rubbished when the
cutscene showed them touching as the dialog said it would be a bad
thing.

I just don't figure how Romero thought this _could_ be a good game, even
if it had come out when it was originally supposed to.
Maybe he was counting on deathmatch gameplay to make up for the rubbish
story, dialog and AI.

I actually finished the game - it never got better, just different with
the different time zones and weapons (which was a good and novel idea).
I reinstalled it once, but after a very short time I realized I just
COULDN'T face dealing with those sidekicks ever again. I hadn't even
come close to getting the first one when I recoiled in revulsion at the
thought.

Xocyll
April 7, 2005 7:38:26 PM

"One Punch Mickey" <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> once tried to test me
with:

> My nomination:
>
> Lo Wang from Shadow Warrior. Great game, but fifth-rate Duke ripoff.

Who wantsa some wang?

Biggest twat = Laura Croft. Oh wait, that might be biggest something else.

I guess I would go with Larry Laffer but Guybrush Threepwood is a close
second.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 10:20:55 PM

Thusly Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> Spake Unto All:

>I guess I would go with Larry Laffer but Guybrush Threepwood is a close
>second.

You really think they're worse than Carth?
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 10:20:56 PM

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
with:

> Thusly Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> Spake Unto All:
>
>>I guess I would go with Larry Laffer but Guybrush Threepwood is a close
>>second.
>
> You really think they're worse than Carth?

Is that the whiney dude from KOTOR? He's pretty annoying I guess. But what
about Noober? Or Xan?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 3:07:26 AM

Joe62 wrote:
> This is an area where PCs definitely cannot compete with consoles
> (e.g., Raiden from MGS2).

MGS2 is also a PC game remember! But you hit the nail on the head with
Raiden.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 5:04:03 PM

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Xocyll wrote:

> Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> looked up from reading the
> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
> say:
>
> >Also they got themselves ammo and health which isn't standard still.
>
> Yeah, including grabbing ammo for weapons they didn't possess, but I
> did; I didn't find this to be a useful ability for them.

I don't remember this, but if it is true, this is a typical Daikatana
weakness that could have been prevented with one simple line of code.

> There's a reason it isn't standard - because the sidekicks will happily
> take ammo that YOU do need and they don't and that is a serious

I though that they managed this fine in Daikatana, as the sidekicks would
normaly wait some time before picking up ammo. Also one could include the
option to ask them for ammo to prevent any trouble from that feature, like
in Vietcong or BF1942/BFV. After all quite often in so called "realistic"
shooters you end up using enemy rifles while your squad fires on endlessly
without ever running out of ammo (or ever dying in the first place ;) ...

> The whole "plot" hook nonsense saying that catastrophe would result if
> the two Daikatanas touched was more than slightly rubbished when the

I can't remember much about the plot at all. I also thought that Daikatana
started with its worst levels which is not a good marketing idea.

April 8, 2005 5:04:04 PM

> I can't remember much about the plot at all. I also thought that Daikatana
> started with its worst levels which is not a good marketing idea.

That froggie level was also used in the demo. harhar
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 1:41:34 AM

stePH <acetheta@earthlink.net> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in
>
>> Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> looked up from reading the
>> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>> say:

>>>Also they got themselves ammo and health which isn't standard still.
>>
>> Yeah, including grabbing ammo for weapons they didn't possess, but I
>> did; I didn't find this to be a useful ability for them.
>>
>> There's a reason it isn't standard - because the sidekicks will
>> happily take ammo that YOU do need and they don't and that is a
>> serious detraction from any game that isn't overflowing with excess
>> ammo.
>
>A programmer with at least half a brain could have made them leave it
>alone if they didn't have the weapon to load with it.

The problem with that is that they can be able to use it, but not _need_
it and still take it.

They might have a max carry of 400 rounds of type X and have 350, while
you have 5, and they grab that ammo box of 50 rounds.

Xocyll