Suggestions for mini-pc JUST FOR TV

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
I'm sick and tired of watching DIVX movies on my monitor and tired of moving my PC to a TV just to watch a movie.

So I've decided to build a mini-pc specifically for watching DIVX movies on TV..
For starters I'm thinking about the Shuttle SS51G XPC and REALmagic XCard.. I don't know exactly how the XCard works but wondering if I would need an additional video card?

How much RAM would I need?
CPU speed?
Would an 8MB cache hardrive make any difference?

Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could use a standard VGA output and a converter box, such devices generally cost $40 and up.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had asked more questions first!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know anything about that card. But I do know that you can get a Micro ATX board with the nVidia nForce, GeForce2 MX graphics onboard, home theater quality 6-channel audio onboard, and LAN onboard, and put the thing in <A HREF="http://www.caseoutlet.com/case/4117/CS-4117.html" target="_new"> This Case</A>, and use that system on your TV. But I don't think you can get a TV-Out adapter for the board I would recommend (Abit NV7m). You can see a review of the board at <A HREF="http://www.amdworld.co.uk/nv7m.htm" target="_new">http://www.amdworld.co.uk/nv7m.htm</A>. And lacking a TV-Out feature, you could use a simple VGA to TV adapter, such as <A HREF="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?sku=G126-1002" target="_new">This One</A>. That way you get your nice small case, reasonable video performance (you could do some gaming on the TV), great audio performance, etc. Better than anything else out there that's made to do the same job.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Hmm thanks for your opinion. Like the TwinBank memory architecture. But an AMD based motherboard is what sort of bugs me most. I'm not sure if's the past experience or what but I've been committed to Intel. Not saying AMD is horrible or anything but I just like Intel. Which is why I'm pretty well much going with the Shuttle SS51 XPC. <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1661" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1661</A> Then adding whatever additonal parts that I would need.. Like hardrive, cpu, etc.

I'm also not a big fan on onboard graphics as I believe they won't last long later on, so I prefer buying a seperate card although it may cost more but will last longer and would be far easier to overclock.

Hmm would you lost quality with the VGA to TV adapter? I mean would you be able to notice the difference froma direct tv out card and one using an adapter?

Thanks for the post!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, the one thing that has going for it is the AGP slot, you could put a nice Radeon card in there. The onboard audio is questionabl IMO. And a cube is not a nice shape for use in an entertainment center. I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you could find a desktop mATX case that's similar in width to a typical VCR and a little taller, and an mATX board to go in it.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hey, take a look at <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=11-130-105-01.JPG/11-130-105-08.JPG/11-130-105-03.JPG/11-130-105-04.JPG/11-130-105-05.JPG/11-130-105-06.JPG/11-130-105-07.JPG" target="_new">this case</A>. With an nForce board and <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-130-350-01.JPG/13-130-350-02.JPG/13-130-350-03.JPG" target="_new">this card</A>, you can have TV-Out and a hot performance system that blends right in with your VCR and whatever else you have there.

Of course, it only has half-height PCI slots, you would need to modify the braket of that card to make it fit. Or you could get a case like <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=11-119-009-01.JPG/11-119-009-02.JPG/11-119-009-03.JPG/11-119-009-04.JPG/11-119-009-05.JPG/11-119-009-06.JPG/11-119-009-07.JPG" target="_new">this</A> with full height slots, but it cost 4x as much, and is much larger!

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
It's not that I haven't seen mATX cases or boards but in my mind I'm thinking Shuttle was dedicated into making their XPC series. But you did make a good point of view as the shape of the Shuttle is more of a cube shape and it wouldn't really match an entertainment theater.

With AMD 3DNow! Technology would you think it would give better graphic performance and quality over Intel?
Like the Coolermaster case.. looks very professional but as you said it's expensive and larger.

But actually really size wouldn't be too big of a problem for me. The main issue I could have is noise. Like a PSU fan, the hard drive, cpu fan, and any case fans.

Hmm haven't seen that MSI tv-out card before but I think I'm sticking with the Realmagic XCard since it's a decoder card for DIVX.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sure, but you'll still need TVO capabilities to see anything except the movie on the TV. Decoder cars don't turn VGA into TV, they simply pass through the main TV-Out signal and overlay the movie. With no TV-Out signal all you see is the movie-kind of makes it hard to use programs then doesn't it? If you had an adequate processor and TV-Out, you wouldn't needthe decoder card anyway. As for AMD, their problems have always been related to VIA chipsets, I don't know of any with the nForce. But the nForce does have an adequate video and sound solution. If you were to use, say, the inexpensive XP1600+ processor and a cooler with 80mm fan, even a quiet fan of that size would be sufficient. And the TVO card is short enough to fit the half-height slot in that cheaper case. Best of all, you'd have a system that can handle gaming (at TV resolution, even the latest games should run on that video) and movies, for around $500:

Case $50
Mobo $120
CPU $60
DVD-ROM $40
hard drive $100
floppy (usually free)
TV adapter card $20
two 256MB PC 2100 modules $120
Large Cooler $20

Total $530

And I was being a little generous on some of those prices, especially the fan, check <A HREF="http://www.nexfan.com/29/325.htm?164" target="_new">this out</A>

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Ah your absolutely right. I think I'll just do that. The case is just right, adequate mobo with integrated video, and perfect tv adpater card. Does the NV7M only support Athlon 1600+ or higher? I don't mind paying for something better since they're so CHEAP! Yeah seems like the perfect cooler! And the fan is only at 29dbA!

Thanks Crashman for all the advice and info.
Really appreciate it!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Those nForce boards support the complete line of Socket 462 processors, anything you want. Now as to whether that card works with the Abit board, uh, probably, but not certain.

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Nice. Why are nforce boards not so popular? I mean I don't hear much about them... Price?

Hmm not sure if the card will work for sure eh.. well hmm what did it mean "low-profile slots" for the case?
I was thinking maybe the Realmagic Xcard since it's only $100 but not sure if it would fit..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Remember that a Video Overlay card only puts out the movie, not the desktop image, so controlling your computer with only an overlay card can be problematic!

That little case has "half height" slots. The TV-Out card you looked at is a half-height card, but on a full-height bracket, unless they include a half height bracket, you'll have to shorted the stock bracket.

The nForce board is hated in this forum by many because 1.) it includes onboard graphics which are not cutting edge for games, 2.) It's not VIA. People relate VIA with AMD, they think if they want to support AMD's competition they have to support VIA. But VIA is the arrogant company who never admits to their defects.

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Oh yes that's right. I keep on thinking that the card would be an tvo for imaging and video..

So half height cards only? meaning I wouldn't be able to use like a AIW Radeon 8500 in the case even if I shortend the stock bracket?

VIA? Wow I didn't think they were that important.. Maybe because I'm just not a giant AMD fan... But actually in my opinion I prefer SIS though that's only towards Intel but not sure bout AMD..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You would need a slightly taller case, like 1.5 inches taller. I have a new AT mini desktop I could modify into a Micro ATX desktop and paint black if you like, same size as the one you were looking at except for the height (~1.5 inches taller). You wouldn't like the PRICE though! Of course, if you want a really nice small case with full height card slots, you could get that $200 Coolermaster case!

I've been looking everywhere for a small case with full height slots, like the Cooler Master unit. I did find <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=11-116-120&depa=1" target="_new">This Nice Unit</A> but it would need a little dressing up to look OK in an entertainment center.

If you really like the idea of full height slots, that opens your motherboard options back up, because it opens your video card options back up. Then you can start the selection process all over again!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Guess what I just found <A HREF="http://www.directron.com/d500p.html" target="_new">Something else to look at</A> with full height slots. Or maybe <A HREF="http://www.directron.com/enlight7180.html" target="_new">This One</A>

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
The Coolermaster case I think is a little on the pricey side if it's the ATC-600 you're talking about. But it's a nice case!
Yeah no thanks. Price is a important factor in building this pc.

Hmm how would you dress up the case?

Yeah that's true..
Well I'm aiming on value.. Like I'm not going to really need a high end cpu or high end memory because I just want to watch movies on it. I don't plan on using it for anything else but movies..
So it'd be basically looking for a low end computer that is sufficient to play movies..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, a lot of people have painted their cases and drive covers matching colors, you could do that with one of those beige MicroATX desktops and get full height slots. I've done this before for a system I used to use in my home theater. You have to remember that even the cases I showed you with full height slots are very small.

It would of course be handy to have an ATI All In Wonder card with the remote. The rest of the system could be fairly cheap.

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Oh okay then that'd be simple to paint then.

ATI All In Wonder is a good start.. But would say just a ALL IN WONDER RADEON 7500 be sufficient.
Oh so you have a system that you use to use for your home theater?
Like I'd probably be getting an athlon xp but don't know how fast I need it to be and how fast the ram would have to be.. and 256MB of RAM would be more than enough right?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
256MB is pleanty, the Athlon XP 1800+ is cheap and much more than needed, and the 8500DV is only ~$170 at Newegg with the remote, in case you decide to "go big" for the extra $30 and get added features. One consideration is that you might like to play some games on that system too.

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
That's going "big"? Okay how about an old P3 700MHz? 256MB PC133 SDRAM and say a old Powercolor Geforce2 MX 64MB video card with TVO?

That's all the oldest parts I have sitting in a box.. Is that still considered "big"?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It would be powerfull enough, but the MX cards had crappy TV-Out, and the P3 700 still cost more than the XP 1800+!

If you want to "go big" on just one part of the system, I suggest the video card. I mean, look at all the fuctionality you get on the Radeon 8500DV, for $170! You get a remote, tv-in, a great card for movies and games, etc. If you build a cheap system around that card, you're doing great for a TV settup. Would I suggest any "slower" processor than the 1800+? Not when the 1800+ goes for around $60!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, if you want to use the system as a TiVO replacement (digital VCR), you might want to go big and fast with the hard drive. Since you need a hard drive anyway, you might as well spend the extra $30 there to "go big" and get the full functionality of TiVO. BTW, I think the TiVO comes with a 38GB drive, so you could do "better than TiVO" with a large drive, say 100GB.

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
No no I'm not trying to go "big".. I'm trying to be CHEAP and get something that is sufficient. I don't want to spend any money on this but since you said MX cards have crappy tv-out I'm guessing only ATI has good TV out.
Well I don't think I'd want a Radeon 8500DV just to watch movies. I plan on making this machine just for movies and not games. Plus I'm going to wait later this or next year and I THINK ATI might either change to 0.13 micron technology or they MIGHT have a Radeon 9500 which should have a lower clock speed than the Radeon 9700 but still have the same features.... I'm HOPING that's how it'd turn out at least...

I already have a P3 700MHz so if that's enough then why bother buying an Athlon anymore?..
But anyways I have an 80GB Maxtor already for it and I think that will be enough.

I don't want to go big on anything but I just want something sufficient enough to play Divx movies. So what kind of video should I get that has a good tv output and is sufficient to play DIVX movies?

Thanks