Doom3 and Windows 2003 server

OK, just WTF is the problem with id software and Windows 2003 server?
Neither Doom3 nor the expansion pack will install on Win2k3 server without
copying the CD contents to the hard disk and modifying the installer files.
I have as yet not found a replacement MSI for the expansion.

What kind of stupidity is this? Do they think that every game server out
there only runs Linux or what? Since they refuse to release a standalone
dedicated server (like the Battlefield games) how exactly is one supposed to
run a server? It's a pain in the ass to have to upload multiple CDs over the
internet as it is...

This and the expansion trying to call home in single player leads me to
question id's sanity.
2 answers Last reply
More about doom3 windows 2003 server

    >OK, just WTF is the problem with id software and Windows 2003 server?
    >Neither Doom3 nor the expansion pack will install on Win2k3 server without
    >copying the CD contents to the hard disk and modifying the installer files.
    >I have as yet not found a replacement MSI for the expansion.

    The problem is sorta of with id, but more general. It is also
    partially contributed to by the way Microsoft promotes their products.
    Windows 2003 is a SERVER operating system. It is promoted as such. It
    is priced as such. It is not intended by Microsoft to be run as a
    workstation OS.

    Additionally, Windows 2003 behaves different than XP. IIS is
    different, the TCP/IP stack is different (XP SP2 does not allow raw
    sockets anymore, limits connections, etc.), additional services are
    installed, and there are other differences.

    As a result of these differences, there is a chance of incompatibility
    during installation or playing of a game. This means that the
    developers would have to test on this platform. And don't forget there
    are multiple versions of Windows 2003, and each should be tested.

    What it boils down to is MONEY. id knows that the huge majority of
    their playing base uses a desktop OS (like XP). So they certify it
    under that OS. They know that Windows 2003 is not shipped with the
    generic Dell, Gateway, Alienware, etc., PC system. They know that most
    people will not pay the large price for a server OS. So, there is no
    significant return on investment to test and certify their application
    under Windows 2003.

    So now id, and other developers, have a dilemma. They can either dio
    an OS check and refuse to install on unsupported OSes, or follow basic
    MSI guidelines (which I assume they do in order to get Microsoft's
    seal of approval) and HOPE it will install on unsupported OSes. And
    then HOPE that the applications work. And then have to deal with calls
    from a minority of users who run into problems with these unsupported
    OSes.

    Thus, they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. I somehow
    doubt the average user is willing to pay an extra $5 a copy so that
    id, or whomever, will certify their game under an OS they will never,
    ever use. So, they decided to not install under W2K3, which I think is
    probably the best decision.

    Expecting developers to support every OS is unrealistic. This, I am
    sure, is on reason why so many developers are becoming console-based.
    With a console, you have only one OS, one type of hardware, one set of
    standards, etc. Development, testing, and support costs are therefore
    much lower.

    So, if you are a computer gamer, use a gaming OS. At the moment, this
    is Windows XP Professional (supports SMP, which will become more
    important in the future). Short term, Home version is fine, but I just
    cannot think of a reason to buy it. Student prices for Professional
    are reasonable, and I recommend splurging and getting it.

    Please replace the "NoSpam" with "MCI" in my email address in order to
    reply.
    Joe Granto Joe.Granto@NoSpam.Com
    Senior Engineer Intel Engineering,MCI

    "Joe Granto" <Joe.Granto@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
    > >OK, just WTF is the problem with id software and Windows 2003 server?
    > >Neither Doom3 nor the expansion pack will install on Win2k3 server
    without
    > >copying the CD contents to the hard disk and modifying the installer
    files.
    > >I have as yet not found a replacement MSI for the expansion.

    > So, if you are a computer gamer, use a gaming OS. At the moment, this
    > is Windows XP Professional (supports SMP, which will become more
    > important in the future). Short term, Home version is fine, but I just
    > cannot think of a reason to buy it. Student prices for Professional
    > are reasonable, and I recommend splurging and getting it.

    Did you even read what I wrote? You only quoted part of it. I said
    installing on Windows 2003 Server *so that I can run a server*. Of course I
    don't play games on Win2k3 Server. lol

PC gaming Windows Server 2003 Games Servers Video Games Product