power surge/DVD and CDRW drives are mising

ps23tlims

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Last night we had a power surge. When I booted up my computer, it didn't come on. I unplugged it from the surge protector, replugged, and it booted up. Then I noticed my DVD and CDRW drives were missing off the computer. The light is come on in the DVD and the door opens, it does neither with the CDRW drive. The drives are even missing from the DOS screen when it boots up. Does it appeared to be fried. I think I am going to open the computer disconnect/reconnect the drives. Thanks for your help!

This morning I opened the computer up and unplugged the cables to the DVD and CDRW, then I put them back in the drives and they were back in My Computer and in the Device Manager. So, I am back on track!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ps23tlims on 08/05/02 09:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
what kind of surge protector were you using?
while good, they arnt entirely foolproof, allthough in your instance it probably protected your PC from being completely fried!

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>