Game Prices

I often wonder how many people buy Games as soon as they come out.
What I mean is a Brand new Game sells for $49.95 but unless its a game
like Halo 2 or Half Life I will wait 6 months to a year till the price
is $19.95. Recently at a local Blockbuster, They were having a sale on
Console games , Buy 2 get 1 FREE! I walked out of there with 3 great
titles SplashDown, Burnout and Socom II For Only $30.00. The same goes
for PC Games at EBGames which sells used games but fully working and
with manuals.
-Sam

SamuelF566@AOL.COM wrote:
> I often wonder how many people buy Games as soon as they come out.
> What I mean is a Brand new Game sells for $49.95 but unless its a
game
> like Halo 2 or Half Life I will wait 6 months to a year till the
price
> is $19.95. Recently at a local Blockbuster, They were having a sale
on
> Console games , Buy 2 get 1 FREE! I walked out of there with 3 great
> titles SplashDown, Burnout and Socom II For Only $30.00. The same
goes
> for PC Games at EBGames which sells used games but fully working and
> with manuals.
> -Sam

I always find myself thinking "Yes, this 1 year old game is cheap, but
that's because there are better games out now which I am missing out
on". Which is exactly what They want me to think.

Looking at my own experience, I tend to have a few "A list" titles
which I definitely want to play and I will buy those when I want them,
regardless of price (obviously I'll shop around, but I won't wait for a
general price drop). I tend to play one game at a time, so this isn't
expensive.

Then there is a B list of games that I can live without, but which I
wouldn't mind having. These I will tend to pick up after I've played
the A list and when I see a good offer. Usually, they've been reduced
in price anyway by then.

I rarely get round to the C list unless they're given away free with
something else.

Andrew

On 7 Apr 2005 00:34:17 -0700, SamuelF566@AOL.COM wrote:

>I often wonder how many people buy Games as soon as they come out.
> What I mean is a Brand new Game sells for $49.95 but unless its a game
>like Halo 2 or Half Life I will wait 6 months to a year till the price
>is $19.95. Recently at a local Blockbuster, They were having a sale on
>Console games , Buy 2 get 1 FREE! I walked out of there with 3 great
>titles SplashDown, Burnout and Socom II For Only $30.00. The same goes
>for PC Games at EBGames which sells used games but fully working and
>with manuals.

I buy most of my games from online retailers when they are new and
sell most of them on Ebay when I complete or get bored with them
within a week or two. It costs me the equivalent of maybe $10 to play
the game, but sometimes I sell the games for more than I bought them
for. The games I keep are worth paying full price for.

Toby

On 2005-04-07, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:
> On 7 Apr 2005 00:34:17 -0700, SamuelF566@AOL.COM wrote:
>
>>I often wonder how many people buy Games as soon as they come out.
>> What I mean is a Brand new Game sells for $49.95 but unless its a game
>>like Halo 2 or Half Life I will wait 6 months to a year till the price
>>is $19.95. Recently at a local Blockbuster, They were having a sale on
>>Console games , Buy 2 get 1 FREE! I walked out of there with 3 great
>>titles SplashDown, Burnout and Socom II For Only $30.00. The same goes
>>for PC Games at EBGames which sells used games but fully working and
>>with manuals.
>
> I buy most of my games from online retailers when they are new and
> sell most of them on Ebay when I complete or get bored with them
> within a week or two. It costs me the equivalent of maybe $10 to play
> the game, but sometimes I sell the games for more than I bought them
> for. The games I keep are worth paying full price for.

In PC gaming, I hoover up budget titles, rarely paying more than £10 and
still getting great games (apart from special cases like Half Life 2,
D3, DNF).

Console games I will generally pay more... if a good game comes out and
it has good multiplayer, I find it very easy to justify the cost because
it is divided up between 4 people. $30 for a weekend of great fun with 3
of my friends is bargainous.

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.

Knight37 wrote:
> SamuelF566@AOL.COM once tried to test me with:
>
> > I often wonder how many people buy Games as soon as they come out.
> > What I mean is a Brand new Game sells for $49.95 but unless its a
game
> > like Halo 2 or Half Life I will wait 6 months to a year till the
price
> > is $19.95. Recently at a local Blockbuster, They were having a sale
on
> > Console games , Buy 2 get 1 FREE! I walked out of there with 3
great
> > titles SplashDown, Burnout and Socom II For Only $30.00. The same
goes
> > for PC Games at EBGames which sells used games but fully working
and
> > with manuals.
>
> I buy maybe 6-12 games per year at full price. And I buy maybe 36-60
games
> per year at a discount price (less than $30 for sure, usually in the
$15-20
> range). I also put games on my Christmas and birthday lists and so I
get a
> lot of games as gifts, some full-priced new titles, some that were
> discounted.
>
> So far this year (2005) I have not paid full price for any game, but
I've
> gotten maybe 30ish games at bargain prices. I have Jade Empire
pre-ordered
> and will pay full price for that one. So far my problem this year has
been
> a lack of available titles that interested me at full price.

30 games in 3 months. That's 10 a month. That's a new game every 3
days.

Do you every sleep? or go outside? or talk to flesh and blood people?
Frankly I'm amazed you find the time to post on these NGs.

SamuelF566@AOL.COM once tried to test me with:

> I often wonder how many people buy Games as soon as they come out.
> What I mean is a Brand new Game sells for $49.95 but unless its a game
> like Halo 2 or Half Life I will wait 6 months to a year till the price
> is $19.95. Recently at a local Blockbuster, They were having a sale on
> Console games , Buy 2 get 1 FREE! I walked out of there with 3 great
> titles SplashDown, Burnout and Socom II For Only $30.00. The same goes
> for PC Games at EBGames which sells used games but fully working and
> with manuals.

I buy maybe 6-12 games per year at full price. And I buy maybe 36-60 games
per year at a discount price (less than $30 for sure, usually in the $15-20
range). I also put games on my Christmas and birthday lists and so I get a
lot of games as gifts, some full-priced new titles, some that were
discounted.

So far this year (2005) I have not paid full price for any game, but I've
gotten maybe 30ish games at bargain prices. I have Jade Empire pre-ordered
and will pay full price for that one. So far my problem this year has been
a lack of available titles that interested me at full price.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

I get AAA titles that I know I will like as soon as they come out. Stuff
like The Suffering I wait till it shows up on midrange.

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> once tried to test me with:

> 30 games in 3 months. That's 10 a month. That's a new game every 3
> days.
>
> Do you every sleep? or go outside? or talk to flesh and blood people?
> Frankly I'm amazed you find the time to post on these NGs.

I haven't played most of them yet. See, my problem is I see a cool game and
think I want to play it, but then I get it and maybe I install it or maybe
not, and then maybe I play it for a while or maybe not. Anyway, most of my
gaming time this year has gone to World of Warcraft.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Andrew

On 7 Apr 2005 10:11:48 -0700, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>30 games in 3 months. That's 10 a month. That's a new game every 3
>days.
>
>Do you every sleep? or go outside? or talk to flesh and blood people?
>Frankly I'm amazed you find the time to post on these NGs.

True Gamers don't play the games they buy, it would be sacrilege to
open the box! ;-)

SamuelF566@AOL.COM wrote:

> I often wonder how many people buy Games as soon as they come out.

I nearly always wait until games have dropped to half price or less.
I'm not the impatient sort.

Knight37 wrote:

> I buy maybe 6-12 games per year at full price. And I buy maybe 36-60 games
> per year...[snip]

O. M. G. ;-)

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> once tried to test me with:

> True Gamers don't play the games they buy, it would be sacrilege to
> open the box! ;-)

LOL, well I do open the box at least. I might not install it though.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Jab

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004

SamuelF566@AOL.COM wrote:
> I often wonder how many people buy Games as soon as they come out.
> What I mean is a Brand new Game sells for $49.95 but unless its a game
> like Halo 2 or Half Life I will wait 6 months to a year till the price
> is $19.95. Recently at a local Blockbuster, They were having a sale on
> Console games , Buy 2 get 1 FREE! I walked out of there with 3 great
> titles SplashDown, Burnout and Socom II For Only $30.00. The same goes
> for PC Games at EBGames which sells used games but fully working and
> with manuals.
> -Sam

Same here ... I'll only buy must haves at full price - this year HL2 &
BIA - and the rest in the 'budget' range. Last purchase Strategic
Command & Squad Assault & Moon Tycoon at £5.99 all in.

jwb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> 30 games in 3 months. That's 10 a month. That's a new game every 3
>> days.
>>
>> Do you every sleep? or go outside? or talk to flesh and blood people?
>> Frankly I'm amazed you find the time to post on these NGs.
>>

> I haven't played most of them yet. See, my problem is I see a cool game
> and
> think I want to play it, but then I get it and maybe I install it or maybe
> not, and then maybe I play it for a while or maybe not. Anyway, most of my
> gaming time this year has gone to World of Warcraft.

I don't buy as many games as you, but I kinda do the same thing. I'll just
get into "I want a new game" mood, go buy a game or three, install them,
read about them, play em once..... and then load up Thief 3 or play BG2 for
the 20th time :)

jlc

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> 30 games in 3 months. That's 10 a month. That's a new game every 3
>> days.
>>
>> Do you every sleep? or go outside? or talk to flesh and blood people?
>> Frankly I'm amazed you find the time to post on these NGs.
>>

> I haven't played most of them yet. See, my problem is I see a cool game
> and
> think I want to play it, but then I get it and maybe I install it or maybe
> not, and then maybe I play it for a while or maybe not. Anyway, most of my
> gaming time this year has gone to World of Warcraft.
>
> --

I'm exactly the same way. If I see a PC game for less then $15 and it's a
game I know received OK reviews I'll pick it up. I find a lot of PC games
for around $5, and I just can't turn down a game at that price. But I hardly
ever finish them, and a lot of them I play for only a few levels. But my
biggest problem is I hate to part with them. I just moved over Easter
weekend from a house I'd lived in for 7 years. I had games stashed all over
the place. I had large plastic bins filled with games going all the way back
to Crusader No Regret and good old Duke Nuke'em. I moved them all to my new
home, but I spent over 8 hours going through them all and I was finally able
to part with a small box of them. The other problem I have is storing the
manuals. For some reason I can't toss a game manual. Looking at some of my
older game manuals really makes me realize how cool game manuals used to be.
I think the topper is Baldur's Gate 2. Now that was one big old heavy duty
manual! So I have this big box full of manuals that I have to store as well.
And I'm not even going to get into how many console games I have collected
over the years! I must say I sure don't want to move again for a long time!
As for paying full price. HL2 and Riddick are the only PC games I've paid
full price for in the last 3 years.
JLC

On 7 Apr 2005 15:19:51 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>SamuelF566@AOL.COM once tried to test me with:
>
>> I often wonder how many people buy Games as soon as they come out.
>> What I mean is a Brand new Game sells for $49.95 but unless its a game
>> like Halo 2 or Half Life I will wait 6 months to a year till the price
>> is $19.95. Recently at a local Blockbuster, They were having a sale on
>> Console games , Buy 2 get 1 FREE! I walked out of there with 3 great
>> titles SplashDown, Burnout and Socom II For Only $30.00. The same goes
>> for PC Games at EBGames which sells used games but fully working and
>> with manuals.
>
>I buy maybe 6-12 games per year at full price. And I buy maybe 36-60 games
>per year at a discount price (less than $30 for sure, usually in the $15-20
>range). I also put games on my Christmas and birthday lists and so I get a
>lot of games as gifts, some full-priced new titles, some that were
>discounted.
>
>So far this year (2005) I have not paid full price for any game, but I've
>gotten maybe 30ish games at bargain prices. I have Jade Empire pre-ordered
>and will pay full price for that one. So far my problem this year has been
>a lack of available titles that interested me at full price.

You buy almost 40-70 games per year? Wow! I want your job. ;-)

At the rate that I'm going, I'll be lucky to break 10 this year.
Although not having WinXP has put a slight crimp in my spending. A
few games that I've wanted won't run on Win9X.

SamuelF566@AOL.COM wrote:
>I often wonder how many people buy Games as soon as they come out.
> What I mean is a Brand new Game sells for $49.95 but unless its a game
>like Halo 2 or Half Life I will wait 6 months to a year till the price
>is $19.95. Recently at a local Blockbuster, They were having a sale on
>Console games , Buy 2 get 1 FREE! I walked out of there with 3 great
>titles SplashDown, Burnout and Socom II For Only $30.00. The same goes
>for PC Games at EBGames which sells used games but fully working and
>with manuals.

I don't buy any games over AUD$10 which is probably about $5 for you
yankees. I bought about 6 games for $40 with a buy 2 get 1 free offer at
EB.

OldDog <OldDog@city.pound.com> once tried to test me with:

> On 7 Apr 2005 15:19:51 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>
>>SamuelF566@AOL.COM once tried to test me with:
>>
>>> I often wonder how many people buy Games as soon as they come out.
>>> What I mean is a Brand new Game sells for $49.95 but unless its a
>>> game
>>> like Halo 2 or Half Life I will wait 6 months to a year till the
>>> price is $19.95. Recently at a local Blockbuster, They were having a
>>> sale on Console games , Buy 2 get 1 FREE! I walked out of there with
>>> 3 great titles SplashDown, Burnout and Socom II For Only $30.00.
>>> The same goes for PC Games at EBGames which sells used games but
>>> fully working and with manuals.
>>
>>I buy maybe 6-12 games per year at full price. And I buy maybe 36-60
>>games per year at a discount price (less than $30 for sure, usually in
>>the $15-20 range). I also put games on my Christmas and birthday lists
>>and so I get a lot of games as gifts, some full-priced new titles,
>>some that were discounted.
>>
>>So far this year (2005) I have not paid full price for any game, but
>>I've gotten maybe 30ish games at bargain prices. I have Jade Empire
>>pre-ordered and will pay full price for that one. So far my problem
>>this year has been a lack of available titles that interested me at
>>full price.
>
> You buy almost 40-70 games per year? Wow! I want your job. ;-)

Counting console games, sure. Good job and no kids = disposable income.

Just this week I bought:

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
Katamari Damacy (PS2)
Wild Arms 3 (PS2)
Baten Kaitos (GC)
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits (PS2)

Most were used. All were pretty cheap, I think the most
expensive one was Baten Kaitos for $20 at Fry's (new).

> At the rate that I'm going, I'll be lucky to break 10 this year.
> Although not having WinXP has put a slight crimp in my spending. A
> few games that I've wanted won't run on Win9X.

Win XP came on my latest PC but I also bought it for my previous PC. It's
great. Next PC you buy it will probably come with XP.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

> OldDog <OldDog@city.pound.com> once tried to test me with:

>> You buy almost 40-70 games per year? Wow! I want your job. ;-)
>
> Counting console games, sure. Good job and no kids = disposable income.

That's the biggie.

Even better: Married + both with good jobs + no kids = much disposable
income :)

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote:
>SamuelF566@AOL.COM wrote:
>> I often wonder how many people buy Games as soon as they come out.
>> What I mean is a Brand new Game sells for $49.95 but unless its a
>game
>> like Halo 2 or Half Life I will wait 6 months to a year till the
>price
>> is $19.95. Recently at a local Blockbuster, They were having a sale
>on
>> Console games , Buy 2 get 1 FREE! I walked out of there with 3 great
>> titles SplashDown, Burnout and Socom II For Only $30.00. The same
>goes
>> for PC Games at EBGames which sells used games but fully working and
>> with manuals.
>
>I always find myself thinking "Yes, this 1 year old game is cheap, but
>that's because there are better games out now which I am missing out
>on". Which is exactly what They want me to think.

How are you missing out? They'll still be there in a year.

"JWB" <jwb3333_spamtrap_@excite.com> once tried to test me with:

> "Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
>> OldDog <OldDog@city.pound.com> once tried to test me with:
>

>>> You buy almost 40-70 games per year? Wow! I want your job. ;-)
>>
>> Counting console games, sure. Good job and no kids = disposable income.
>
> That's the biggie.
>
> Even better: Married + both with good jobs + no kids = much disposable
> income :)

Actually yah, that's my situation.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

JWB wrote:
> "Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
>> OldDog <OldDog@city.pound.com> once tried to test me with:
>

>>> You buy almost 40-70 games per year? Wow! I want your job. ;-)
>>
>> Counting console games, sure. Good job and no kids = disposable
>> income.
>
> That's the biggie.
>
> Even better: Married + both with good jobs + no kids = much disposable
> income for your wife!

Fixed your post ^ ;)

"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> once tried to test me with:

> I'm exactly the same way. If I see a PC game for less then $15 and
> it's a game I know received OK reviews I'll pick it up. I find a lot
> of PC games for around $5, and I just can't turn down a game at that
> price. But I hardly ever finish them, and a lot of them I play for
> only a few levels.

LOL, I know the feeling exactly. I'm a sick bastard.

> But my biggest problem is I hate to part with them.
> I just moved over Easter weekend from a house I'd lived in for 7
> years. I had games stashed all over the place. I had large plastic
> bins filled with games going all the way back to Crusader No Regret
> and good old Duke Nuke'em. I moved them all to my new home, but I
> spent over 8 hours going through them all and I was finally able to
> part with a small box of them. The other problem I have is storing the
> manuals. For some reason I can't toss a game manual. Looking at some
> of my older game manuals really makes me realize how cool game manuals
> used to be. I think the topper is Baldur's Gate 2. Now that was one
> big old heavy duty manual! So I have this big box full of manuals that
> I have to store as well. And I'm not even going to get into how many
> console games I have collected over the years! I must say I sure don't
> want to move again for a long time!

I will never move again! The last time I moved I had to drag over 2000 game
boxes with me not to mention a ton of game manuals and CD's. I've since
thrown out most of the boxes. I still have most of the manuals though.
Somewhere. And all the CD's.

> As for paying full price. HL2 and Riddick are the only PC games I've
> paid full price for in the last 3 years.

I have definitely bought more full price games than you have. But as a
general rule, only maybe 10-20% of my purchases were full price.

Lets see... last year I bought:

Sacred
World of Warcraft
Half-Life 2

I think that's about it. At full price. Probably 1 or 2 console games I'm
forgetting but most of my console games are either bought used, waited for
a price reduction, or I got them as a gift from someone.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

jlc

> "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> once tried to test me with:
>
> Lets see... last year I bought:
>
> Sacred
> World of Warcraft
> Half-Life 2
>
> I think that's about it. At full price. Probably 1 or 2 console games I'm
> forgetting but most of my console games are either bought used, waited for
> a price reduction, or I got them as a gift from someone.

I've been having very good luck getting my Xbox games off Ebay. I've gotten
some killer deals and without any problems. Of course I only buy from people
that have a high rating. Gotta love Ebay!
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has a hard time parting with their
games.Since I hardly ever finish any of the games I have, I always think
that maybe, just maybe I'll want to load the game up again and give it a go
and try and finish it. I also just tossed over a hundred gaming mags going
all the way back to '96. I did keep volume 2 of EGM. The cover shows all the
"Next Gen 16 bit consoles" which where, the good old Genny,TuboGrafix, and
the NES. I still remember where I bought that mag and how excited I was when
I read about all the cool consoles and games that where about to come out.
Man those games looked so real! LOL!! JLC

Knight37 wrote:
> "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> once tried to test me with:
>
> Wasn't the 16-bit nintendo system the Super Nintendo? I thought the
> NES was an 8-bit.

You are correct.

TRENDING THREADS