Refresh rate goes to 60 when playing Doom3

Wolverine

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2004

My desktop refresh rate is 85Hz @ 1024x768. When I play Doom3 @ 800x600, my
refresh rate goes to 60Hz. I don't know if this is what's causing the neon
green imp fireballs, but is there a fix for this?

"Wolverine" <ttman21@cox.net> wrote in message
> My desktop refresh rate is 85Hz @ 1024x768. When I play Doom3 @ 800x600,
> my
> refresh rate goes to 60Hz. I don't know if this is what's causing the neon
> green imp fireballs, but is there a fix for this?

Your video drivers should include a refresh rate override. Or you can d/l a
separate utility to do this also.

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 18:59:54 -0500, "Wolverine" <ttman21@cox.net> wrote:

>My desktop refresh rate is 85Hz @ 1024x768. When I play Doom3 @ 800x600, my
>refresh rate goes to 60Hz.

As the other poster mentioned, the video card should contain refresh rate
overrides that force the refresh rate to specific values. For some strange
reason, OpenGL applications normally set the refresh to 60Hz.

Alternativly, you could try running the game in Windowed mode.

> I don't know if this is what's causing the neon
>green imp fireballs, but is there a fix for this?

If the fireballs aren't supposed to look neon green, than that's a
different issue. In this case, you might want to look for an upgraded
driver.

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 18:59:54 -0500, "Wolverine" <ttman21@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >My desktop refresh rate is 85Hz @ 1024x768. When I play Doom3 @ 800x600,
my
> >refresh rate goes to 60Hz.
>
> As the other poster mentioned, the video card should contain refresh rate
> overrides that force the refresh rate to specific values. For some
strange
> reason, OpenGL applications normally set the refresh to 60Hz.
>
> Alternativly, you could try running the game in Windowed mode.

You can also create an autoexec.cfg in your base directory containing the
line "r_displayrefresh xx" where xx is the refresh rate you want (I use 85).
It won't help for other OpenGL games but it's a quick fix for Doom3.

"Wolverine" <ttman21@cox.net> wrote in message
> My desktop refresh rate is 85Hz @ 1024x768. When I play Doom3 @ 800x600,
> my
> refresh rate goes to 60Hz. I don't know if this is what's causing the neon
> green imp fireballs, but is there a fix for this?

The framerate for D3 is locked at 60fps except during timed demos.

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 19:27:53 +1000, "Fred At Home" <fredhome@fscans.cjb.net>
wrote:

>"Wolverine" <ttman21@cox.net> wrote in message
>> My desktop refresh rate is 85Hz @ 1024x768. When I play Doom3 @ 800x600,
>> my
>> refresh rate goes to 60Hz. I don't know if this is what's causing the neon
>> green imp fireballs, but is there a fix for this?
>>
>The framerate for D3 is locked at 60fps except during timed demos.

The framerate is the software processing of the game. The refresh rate is
the amount of times per second that a CRT screen refreshes itself (where
60Hz is known to cause the largest number of headaches.)

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:42:21 -0500, "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com>
wrote:

>"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 18:59:54 -0500, "Wolverine" <ttman21@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>> >My desktop refresh rate is 85Hz @ 1024x768. When I play Doom3 @ 800x600,
>my
>> >refresh rate goes to 60Hz.

As mentioned already, many games have the ability to set the refresh
rate. However, many do not. The problem is that Windows XP defaults to
60 when changing resolution, switching to DirectX from your 2D
desktop, etc.

Windows 9x actually allowed you to change those defaults, but XP does
not, natively. There is a simple utility called REFORCE.EXE that will
change the default refresh rates for you, fixing this issue
completely. The utility is free.

http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/

Please replace the "NoSpam" with "MCI" in my email address in order to
reply.
Joe Granto Joe.Granto@NoSpam.Com
Senior Engineer Intel Engineering,MCI

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:10:30 -0400, Joe Granto <Joe.Granto@NoSpam.com>
wrote:

>Windows 9x actually allowed you to change those defaults, but XP does
>not, natively. There is a simple utility called REFORCE.EXE that will
>change the default refresh rates for you, fixing this issue
>completely. The utility is free.

It's a bit pedantic, but you can change the default Direct3D refresh
rate in WinXP without a third-party tool.

1)Click START, then choose RUN (get the Run program dialog)
2) Ttype in DXDIAG (which loads the DirectX Diagnostic program)
3) pick the "More Help" tab
4) Click "Override"
5) Change the setting from "default" to an "override value" of
whatever (e.g., 85).

Unfortunately, you can only set up one refresh value for ALL
resolutions, which usually doesn't work that well (for instance, I use
75Hz instead of the usual 85Hz if I ever play at 1152x864, otherwise
everything is all squashed and shifted to the right). So the tool is
of limited usefulness. I just wanted to point out it could be done
without a third-party tool. That's what makes it so gaddurn pedantic
:) :)

"Spalls Hurgenson" <yoinks@ebalu.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:10:30 -0400, Joe Granto <Joe.Granto@NoSpam.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Windows 9x actually allowed you to change those defaults, but XP does
>>not, natively. There is a simple utility called REFORCE.EXE that will
>>change the default refresh rates for you, fixing this issue
>>completely. The utility is free.
>

> It's a bit pedantic, but you can change the default Direct3D refresh
> rate in WinXP without a third-party tool.
>
> 1)Click START, then choose RUN (get the Run program dialog)
> 2) Ttype in DXDIAG (which loads the DirectX Diagnostic program)
> 3) pick the "More Help" tab
> 4) Click "Override"
> 5) Change the setting from "default" to an "override value" of
> whatever (e.g., 85).
>
> Unfortunately, you can only set up one refresh value for ALL
> resolutions, which usually doesn't work that well (for instance, I use
> 75Hz instead of the usual 85Hz if I ever play at 1152x864, otherwise
> everything is all squashed and shifted to the right). So the tool is
> of limited usefulness. I just wanted to point out it could be done
> without a third-party tool. That's what makes it so gaddurn pedantic
> :) :)

NVIDIA drivers allow _different_ forced-refresh settings for _all_ allowable
resolutions; ATI drivers allow forced refresh settings also, both thru the
display properties. I think you'll find that whatever forced rate is set
thru the display properties will also show up in the dxdiag utility. It's
that way with the ATI drivers.