Swat 4 Demo what do you think of it ?

Just downloaded it played it alittle. Seems ok. I like the way you
yell at tem to drop weapons before killing them :)

I liked Raven SHield and play it online. If Swat 4 had 8 player Coop i
would buy it but its only got 4 players :(

It seems to be ok but ive only played it on easy so far.

Any thoughts on the demo.

Thanks.
18 answers Last reply
More about swat demo

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:20:23 +1000, Digital Sheep <1@2> wrote:

    >Any thoughts on the demo.

    There have been several discussions of it. I would post my opinion
    again, but as you think HL2 is the same as every other FPS, it isn't
    worth it.

    "Digital Sheep" <1@2> wrote in message

    > Just downloaded it played it alittle. Seems ok. I like the way you
    > yell at tem to drop weapons before killing them :)
    >
    > I liked Raven SHield and play it online. If Swat 4 had 8 player Coop i
    > would buy it but its only got 4 players :(
    >

    > It seems to be ok but ive only played it on easy so far.
    >
    > Any thoughts on the demo.

    I liked it, but it took me a bit to figure out that you had to restrain the
    bystanders, even if you had to taser them to comply. This doesn't strike me
    as typical SWAT procedure. Seems a little bit dangerous to handcuff
    innocents and leave them where you found them when perps are still running
    around. Was there a different way to win? That's almost a deal killer for
    me since it really destroys the suspension of disbelief.

    turk
    --
    "As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
    the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great

    www.jonahfalcon.com/alwaysbetter.jpg

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:01:15 -0500, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I liked it, but it took me a bit to figure out that you had to restrain the
    >bystanders, even if you had to taser them to comply. This doesn't strike me
    >as typical SWAT procedure. Seems a little bit dangerous to handcuff
    >innocents and leave them where you found them when perps are still running
    >around. Was there a different way to win? That's almost a deal killer for
    >me since it really destroys the suspension of disbelief.

    I believe it is standard to procedure to cuff everyone since in real
    life a gunman could swap clothes with a hostage and you wouldn't know
    who was good or bad. Whether or not they would be just left there is
    another matter, but it doesn't bother me in the game.

    > On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:01:15 -0500, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I liked it, but it took me a bit to figure out that you had to restrain
    >>the
    >>bystanders, even if you had to taser them to comply. This doesn't strike
    >>me
    >>as typical SWAT procedure. Seems a little bit dangerous to handcuff
    >>innocents and leave them where you found them when perps are still running
    >>around. Was there a different way to win? That's almost a deal killer
    >>for
    >>me since it really destroys the suspension of disbelief.
    >
    > I believe it is standard to procedure to cuff everyone since in real
    > life a gunman could swap clothes with a hostage and you wouldn't know
    > who was good or bad. Whether or not they would be just left there is
    > another matter, but it doesn't bother me in the game.

    Ok, I wasn't sure about that. But, IIRC you have a photo of the owner of
    the auto repair shop before you go in and saving him is one of the mission
    goals (which seems redundant since if any civilians die, you lose). Just
    seems strange to me that you'd cuff them and leave rather than get them to
    an exit.

    turk
    --
    "As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
    the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great
    and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire
    at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." - H. L.
    Mencken, in the Baltimore Sun, July 26, 1920.

    When's it on the shelves in Europe?

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:39:12 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
    <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >When's it on the shelves in Europe?

    The 28th I think, I have mine on preorder.

    "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:01:15 -0500, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I liked it, but it took me a bit to figure out that you had to restrain
    >>>the
    >>>bystanders, even if you had to taser them to comply. This doesn't strike
    >>>me
    >>>as typical SWAT procedure. Seems a little bit dangerous to handcuff
    >>>innocents and leave them where you found them when perps are still
    >>>running
    >>>around. Was there a different way to win? That's almost a deal killer
    >>>for
    >>>me since it really destroys the suspension of disbelief.
    >>
    >> I believe it is standard to procedure to cuff everyone since in real
    >> life a gunman could swap clothes with a hostage and you wouldn't know
    >> who was good or bad. Whether or not they would be just left there is
    >> another matter, but it doesn't bother me in the game.
    >
    > Ok, I wasn't sure about that. But, IIRC you have a photo of the owner of
    > the auto repair shop before you go in and saving him is one of the mission
    > goals (which seems redundant since if any civilians die, you lose). Just
    > seems strange to me that you'd cuff them and leave rather than get them to
    > an exit.

    Ever heard of Stockholm Syndrome? Besides, how do you know the owner isn't
    in on it?

    Furthermore, you don't want civilians going off half-cocked themselves.

    Jonah Falcon

    "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message

    > "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message

    >>> I believe it is standard to procedure to cuff everyone since in real
    >>> life a gunman could swap clothes with a hostage and you wouldn't know
    >>> who was good or bad. Whether or not they would be just left there is
    >>> another matter, but it doesn't bother me in the game.
    >>
    >> Ok, I wasn't sure about that. But, IIRC you have a photo of the owner of
    >> the auto repair shop before you go in and saving him is one of the
    >> mission goals (which seems redundant since if any civilians die, you
    >> lose). Just seems strange to me that you'd cuff them and leave rather
    >> than get them to an exit.
    >
    > Ever heard of Stockholm Syndrome? Besides, how do you know the owner isn't
    > in on it?
    >
    > Furthermore, you don't want civilians going off half-cocked themselves.

    Sorry, but no way they handcuff civilians and leave them there on the flloor
    with perps with guns running around. That's like hand-serving them
    hostages. As for "stockholm syndrome"...it's a robbery. That takes a
    little longer to set in, Einstein.

    turk
    --

    > "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message

    >>> Ok, I wasn't sure about that. But, IIRC you have a photo of the owner
    >>> of the auto repair shop before you go in and saving him is one of the
    >>> mission goals (which seems redundant since if any civilians die, you
    >>> lose). Just seems strange to me that you'd cuff them and leave rather
    >>> than get them to an exit.
    >>
    >> Ever heard of Stockholm Syndrome? Besides, how do you know the owner
    >> isn't in on it?
    >>
    >> Furthermore, you don't want civilians going off half-cocked themselves.
    >
    > Sorry, but no way they handcuff civilians and leave them there on the
    > flloor with perps with guns running around.

    Um, there are cleaners that follow the SWAT teams and take them out of the
    situation.

    Jonah Falcon

    It is always better to type to reply than to link to a picture that
    conveys the same message.
    Anyway, my curiosity has lead me to clcik on the link...(Thought it was
    some cool photos, disappointed!)

    > "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote in message

    >>> Ever heard of Stockholm Syndrome? Besides, how do you know the owner
    >>> isn't in on it?
    >>>
    >>> Furthermore, you don't want civilians going off half-cocked themselves.
    >>
    >> Sorry, but no way they handcuff civilians and leave them there on the
    >> flloor with perps with guns running around.
    >
    > Um, there are cleaners that follow the SWAT teams and take them out of the
    > situation.

    Um, I circled around the same auto repair shop numerous times looking for
    that last perp and those people were in the same place I left them and I
    never saw a "sweeper", even though I reported the civilian. Have you tried
    the demo or are you just trying to be a bothersome pain in the ass again?

    turk
    --

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:58:40 -0500, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote:

    >"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message

    >>> Sorry, but no way they handcuff civilians and leave them there on the
    >>> flloor with perps with guns running around.
    >>
    >> Um, there are cleaners that follow the SWAT teams and take them out of the
    >> situation.
    >
    >Um, I circled around the same auto repair shop numerous times looking for
    >that last perp and those people were in the same place I left them and I
    >never saw a "sweeper", even though I reported the civilian.

    Game mechanics are different than reality mechanics. In a way, he's
    lamnating on some unrealistic aspect of the game.

    >Have you tried
    >the demo or are you just trying to be a bothersome pain in the ass again?
    >
    >turk

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:20:23 +1000, Digital Sheep <1@2> wrote:

    >Just downloaded it played it alittle. Seems ok. I like the way you
    >yell at tem to drop weapons before killing them :)

    I wasn't entirely impressed with the demo. I have a few pages of comments,
    which should be more than enough for people wanting to play the game, but
    could easily be considered over-analysing the demo (as if that's bad.)

    My first impressions:
    - You can't click through the license agreement unless you scroll to the
    bottom. In that case, you can click through after reading those ~1500
    words within 2.5 seconds.
    - The EULA Flesch Reading Ease is 25.3, and Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level is
    12.0 - which merely confirms that it is hard to read. (Checked by MS-Word -
    there's more than enough time to review a simple demo.)
    - ALT-TAB is not "supported". (An issue, since Microsoft says that
    applications should allow ALT-TABbing on a multi-tasking system, even if it
    isn't used by most people.)
    - It writes to the same directory it's installed in - thus resulting in the
    inability to have multiple player profiles on one installation.

    Onto the gameplay:
    - The game could use a tutorial that described the basics for the first
    minute into the mission, for those who played FPS games but not SWAT in
    particular - describe how to pick the lock to the roof (point at door and
    hold fire, or use right-click menu), how to yell at enemies ('F'), and to
    split your team (e.g. red follow you and blue covering the staircase to
    prevent those sneaking up from behind - 'TAB' and right click) Such a
    tutorial isn't too hard to write - it should at most be three short
    paragraphs (or in this case, one sentence.)
    - The teammates don't seem to be capable of completing the mission by
    themselves - they need your guidance (which also explains why the mission
    is failed if you get taken out.) They also have a habit of breaking
    formation when they encounter an enemy.
    - Some criminals seem to be highly resistant to non-leathal weapons. I'm
    not much of an expert in firearms, but I expect that the suspects should be
    knocked out a bit more easily - even if they might be stronger willed.
    - The enemy and squadmates combat AI seems appropriate during combat -
    enemies run, take cover and seem to know basic tactics. However, they
    aren't the best at detecting threats or hearing noises as they don't appear
    alert to gunfire elsewhere in the building.
    - The difficulty scale seems to be on the easy side - some people might
    find it a challenge to score 95+, but veterens might not find such scores
    to be much of a trophy. (My last attempt scored 99 on Hard - missing point
    was from failing to collect the last weapon.)

    Misc comments:
    - BUG: If you order your squad to open a blocked door, they will get stuck
    in an infinite loop where they keep attempting to open the door. (This
    doesn't happen with locked doors.) There are ways to break them out, but
    it seems to take a little bit of work.
    - You can't seem to restrain targets when they are in a semi-dazed state
    (e.g. just been tazered). This seems to create a partial suspension of
    belief.
    - In some mission sessions, you will need to do a bit of hunting to find
    the last guy. (There are ways to preven the need for hunting caused by
    enemies circling around, but this is a special case.
    - Under the official timeline, it's just begging to be a timed mission with
    15 minutes on the clock (tactical action starts at 15:45, criminals
    threaten to kill hostages at 16:00). There are timers in at least one of
    the 11 missions in the full game, but this doesn't seem to be one of them.
    - The enemy and civilian placement is entirely randomized, which is a good
    thing.
    - There don't appear to be any saved games aside from campaign progression.
    Not a problem, since missions shouldn't take too long to complete (aside
    from a long search period). Besides, saving and reloading in this kind of
    game is cheesy.
    - This game will most likely receive an 'M' from the ESRB, based on blood
    and profanity. As for me, I would not consider this game suitable for
    young players because of strong profanity (and as I learned from below,
    probably also because one of the missions contains some porn stuff.)
    - Full version contents can be determined from the .INI files. (e.g.
    Conversations.ini and ObjectiveSpecs.ini and SwatMissions.ini give
    information about the eleven missions, SwatEquipment.ini describes items in
    the full game ) They might as well released the demo seriously on April
    1st, while modifing the .INI files so that people like me would feed an
    incorrect storyline to other users - which would be a perfect AFJ.

    Overall, it might be a good game, but the demo doesn't encourage my
    purchase, as it indicates the game might be a little too short. I might be
    expecting a little too much from the game, but after seeing games progress
    through the years, my standards are a little higher.

    >I liked Raven SHield and play it online. If Swat 4 had 8 player Coop i
    >would buy it but its only got 4 players :(

    Raven Shield to SWAT shouldn't be a difficult transition - instead of
    pressing the trigger, you just have to shout out as soon as you see
    something move. If they try attacking or fleeing, you can safely shoot
    them once with the shotgun/tazer without penalty (although there might be
    something for excessive force if you do it too much.)

    "Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:58:40 -0500, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >>"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote in message

    >>> Um, there are cleaners that follow the SWAT teams and take them out of
    >>> the
    >>> situation.
    >>
    >>Um, I circled around the same auto repair shop numerous times looking for
    >>that last perp and those people were in the same place I left them and I
    >>never saw a "sweeper", even though I reported the civilian.
    >
    > Game mechanics are different than reality mechanics. In a way, he's
    > lamnating on some unrealistic aspect of the game.

    What the hell does that mean? My criticism IS that it isn't realistic. I
    expect more out of my games now. It's just stupid to handcuff civilians and
    leave them in order to go look for armed suspects. The only thing that
    might make it easier for them to take hostages might be if I wrapped them
    with a big red ribbon.

    turk
    --
    "As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
    the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great
    and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire
    at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." - H. L.
    Mencken, in the Baltimore Sun, July 26, 1920.

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:33:37 -0400, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
    wrote:

    <snip loads of opinions nearly all of which I don't agree with>

    >Overall, it might be a good game, but the demo doesn't encourage my
    >purchase, as it indicates the game might be a little too short. I might be
    >expecting a little too much from the game, but after seeing games progress
    >through the years, my standards are a little higher.

    Maybe it is short in terms of the number of levels, but it more than
    makes up for that in terms of replayability due to random NPC
    placement and the mission editor. I have played the demo loads of
    times and got far more enjoyment out of than quite a few full games I
    have bought.

    I tried the demo but can't finish it ? Seems to me i went everywherei
    could yet mission never ends ?

    Must be a Terro somewhere. Where i don't know :(

    wrote:

> [...]
    >1st, while modifing the .INI files so that people like me would feed an
    >incorrect storyline to other users - which would be a perfect AFJ.
    >
    >Overall, it might be a good game, but the demo doesn't encourage my
    >purchase, as it indicates the game might be a little too short. I might be
    >expecting a little too much from the game, but after seeing games progress
    >through the years, my standards are a little higher.
    >
    >>I liked Raven SHield and play it online. If Swat 4 had 8 player Coop i
    >>would buy it but its only got 4 players :(
    >
    >Raven Shield to SWAT shouldn't be a difficult transition - instead of
    >pressing the trigger, you just have to shout out as soon as you see
    >something move. If they try attacking or fleeing, you can safely shoot
    >them once with the shotgun/tazer without penalty (although there might be
    >something for excessive force if you do it too much.)

  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 07:53:16 +1000, Digital Sheep <1@2> wrote:

    >I tried the demo but can't finish it ? Seems to me i went everywherei
    >could yet mission never ends ?
    >
    >Must be a Terro somewhere. Where i don't know :(

    There's a hiding spot in the garage behind the wire fence enclosing a large
    number of tires. This is located in the northwest position. (14? Can't
    remember the numbering...)

    While not a hiding spot, you could take a look at the roof in case enemies
    try doubling back on you.

    Other then these two points, I haven't found any other enemies trying to
    hide from detection.

PC gaming Games IBM Video Games