Sign in with
Your question

best backup method...

Last response: in Components
August 5, 2002 4:13:10 PM

what do you guys think the best file backup method is?
tape drive?
external hd?
burning to cds?

i want something affordable and i want it to be reliable and fast. i have usb2.0 as well as firewire ports. i want data integrity people!!! thanks.

*** :cool: Duff Man says a lot of things, OH YEAH!!! :cool: ***

More about : backup method

August 5, 2002 5:10:32 PM

CD/RW is the best for the home users theses days and probably the most economical as well. Tape drives are mainly used by servers and corporate companies who have a large amount of data. The external HDD are good as well, but the downside to them is that if you aren't able to boot into you OS, accidentially format the wrong drive, hit by a very distructive virus then you are hosed.

<b>External HDD</b> - cheapest (if you already have the desigante free space)
<b>CD/RW</b> - most economical
<b>Tape Drive</b> - Expensive (best for large amount of data)

<font color=purple><b>An average human brain weights aprox. 3lbs., but a thought weights a load.</font color=purple></b>
August 6, 2002 12:21:24 AM

I think the best method is cdr/cdrw.

cdr/cdrw
- cheap and easy
- limited space

external hdd
- fast
- still pricy

tape drives
- lots of space
- slow

other methods:

dvd
- lots of space
- still pricy and slow

zip, jaz
- cheap
- not too sure about reliability

<i><font color=blue>The only difference between 200 fps and 300 fps is the blink of the eyes.</font color=blue></i>
Related resources
August 6, 2002 4:00:35 PM

Burning Dvd's is slow?

2x is still 2400k/s. When you're hammering out 3.8gig, yeah it's slow. But it's still much faster than tape; and like burning a 16x cdr.

I'd say cdr/rw if you're strapped for ca$h. Dvd+ if you're willing to spend more ca$h, for greater flexibility. Dvd+ media costs extra over Dvd- or cdr/w.
August 6, 2002 4:35:19 PM

With USB 2.0, an extrenal HDD is an option. Do you plan to take your backups to other system? If so, that's a good reason for one. Bear in mind, that a CD can also travel. :smile:

One option you may not have considered is a cheap second internal HDD.

<b><font color=blue>~ BIOS SETTINGS: Fast, Hot, Unstable...That ought to work. ~</font color=blue></b> :wink:
August 6, 2002 11:25:10 PM

Yup, you cleared it up for me.

When I said slow, the thing that crossed my mine was filling up the whole disc at once. Should've say fast compared to the others.

<i><font color=blue>The only difference between 200 fps and 300 fps is the blink of the eyes.</font color=blue></i>
!