**The Ultimate Modem/Router Setup Thread**

Crusader77

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
My landlord lives upstairs and is sharing a wireless network with me. We have our connection through Comcast. He has the router and modem in his place, but my laptop can access the wireless just fine downstairs.

I use Magic Jack for most phone call to keep my cell phone bill down. I have the "plus" model that allows you to plug into a phone handset anywhere you can get Internet access; however, obviously I cannot run an ethernet cord to my landlord's setup upstairs. Predictably, I have found that the wireless isn't strong enough down here to use the device on a handset without a corded connection. So I have been making the calls from the laptop in the usual way.

Would a portable access point such as My Fi work in this situation to allow me to use a handset wirelessly from across the room?

Thanks

If the "wifi" connection is strong enough (and given the laptop works fine, I assume it is), you could use a wireless ethernet bridge (aka, client bridge, gaming adapter, ethernet converter).

[wireless router]<-- wireless -->[wireless ethernet bridge]<-- wire -->[voip adapter]

You can buy a standalone device, convert a dd-wrt compatible router, or even use your laptop as a wireless ethernet bridge (probably not a good long term solution, but would work in a pinch).

Crusader77

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

Thank you- I will give that some thought.