Sony Vegas - Getting worse?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 22, 2004 2:09:26 PM

Hey There
I have been using Sonic Foundry Vegas 3 as my main audio application
for multitrack recording editing and mixing for years now, and did the
upgrade to Vegas 5, which is now owned by Sony.

Vegas is really a video editing application, but it started out as
audio only. As the versions went by the video aspect came into play
and by version 3 it was actually known as Vegas Video. By this time I
had been using vegas so much that I had become so used to its editing
scheme and tools that whenever I tried to use Cubase or ProTools I
found it very slow to edit and generally hard to get work done as fast
as vegas. Now that version 5 is out, I have upgraded mainly for the
automation features introduced.

When I tried to upgrade from version 3 to v5, it made my whole system
very unstable. (Bear in mind Vegas 3 was solid as a rock and I could
get at least 30 tracks with heaps of waves and TC plugins running
while recording tracks back in.) I could not record audio without
glitches and pops and when playing back crossfaded tracks it would
stutter and crash often.I asked on the Sony Vegas forums for help,
with no response. I went through a couple of months of old posts on
the forum and found several people who had trouble going from v3 to v5
and said they had to format the system and reinstall XP from scratch.

I did this, it cost me a lot of money with studio downtime. After
everything was back and Vegas 5 was freshly installed, I tried again.
Better, but still lots of pops and crackles and skipping. Back to Sony
for an explaination. No response except for one of those generic
support emails, saying stupidly obvious things like having the right
drivers for your soundcard and defragging your drives. The forums were
no help either - all these video guys with questions got answers to
the smallest request but my audio related issues were just ignored. I
recently saw adverts in "Audio Technology" magazine for Vegas 5 so
they obviously still think the program cuts it for pro audio.

After several weeks of frustrating tweaks I found a website of a guy
who uses vegas and has made a Tweak guide for XP to make it a vegas
only system, no internet or gaming devices. It seems to have made
Vegas solid again, except foer the strange glitch I get every hour or
so, the system will just hiccup on the same section for a while. I
highlight that area (often the whole song) and set it on loop record.
After 3 or 4 passes in loop record the glitch is gone and I'm back to
solid performance again.

My summarizing gripe about this whole post is basically how the audio
side of Vegas is going by the wayside now that Sony has the reigns. I
really have fallen into the circumstance of knowing Vegas better that
any other application and I feel I would be almost starting again in
terms of my editing speed with Cubase or Sonar. I mean, cant just
point the mouse anywhere on the project and the cursor actually goes
there? In Cubase you have to go to that tiny little damn timeline up
the top. Group 15 waves? Your looking at least 30 mouse clicks, as far
as I can tell. Auto crossfading - why wont any other programs aotu
update the image of the wave file as you drag it over the other??? How
do people edit drums without seeing the beats they need to match up as
they nudge that group of waves? Sonar had me screaming blue murder at
this unbelievable oversight. As I said, Vegas has become my weapon of
choice, it is very unfortunate that it has become so heavily laden
with video options, if it means the audio engine is getting weaker.

Has anyone any suggestion for another application I could try if my
Vegas just wont fire on all cylinders?

Adam B - Its 4:20 G

More about : sony vegas worse

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 3:52:30 PM

Samplitude.

On 22 Aug 2004 10:09:26 -0700, snjstudio@dodo.com.au (Adam B) wrote:

> [...]
>terms of my editing speed with Cubase or Sonar. I mean, cant just
>point the mouse anywhere on the project and the cursor actually goes
>there? In Cubase you have to go to that tiny little damn timeline up
>the top. Group 15 waves? Your looking at least 30 mouse clicks, as far
>as I can tell. Auto crossfading - why wont any other programs aotu
>update the image of the wave file as you drag it over the other??? How
>do people edit drums without seeing the beats they need to match up as
>they nudge that group of waves? Sonar had me screaming blue murder at
>this unbelievable oversight. As I said, Vegas has become my weapon of
>choice, it is very unfortunate that it has become so heavily laden
>with video options, if it means the audio engine is getting weaker.
>
>Has anyone any suggestion for another application I could try if my

August 22, 2004 10:19:00 PM

Why not just go back and use an older version.If it aint broke don't fix it.

Good Luck
Troy

Adam B <snjstudio@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
> [...]
> terms of my editing speed with Cubase or Sonar. I mean, cant just
> point the mouse anywhere on the project and the cursor actually goes
> there? In Cubase you have to go to that tiny little damn timeline up
> the top. Group 15 waves? Your looking at least 30 mouse clicks, as far
> as I can tell. Auto crossfading - why wont any other programs aotu
> update the image of the wave file as you drag it over the other??? How
> do people edit drums without seeing the beats they need to match up as
> they nudge that group of waves? Sonar had me screaming blue murder at
> this unbelievable oversight. As I said, Vegas has become my weapon of
> choice, it is very unfortunate that it has become so heavily laden
> with video options, if it means the audio engine is getting weaker.
>
> Has anyone any suggestion for another application I could try if my

Related resources
August 22, 2004 10:44:18 PM

Adam B,

Vegas 5b is pretty stable on my computer, then again, so is Pro Tools Le 6.4
with a Digi002 rack. There were several people reporting problems like
yours with the earlier version of Vegas (5a), especially if they were using
a Delta 1010 and did not have the latest drivers. If you are using Vegas
5a, be sure to update if you haven't already done so.

I would suggest that you try again to sort this out on the Vegas forum and
be sure to post on the Vegas Audio and not Vegas Video forum. Make sure you
tell the forum what kind of sound card you have as well as your computer
specifics (mobo, processor speed, etc.).

I wouldn't give up just yet.

Greg

> [...]
> terms of my editing speed with Cubase or Sonar. I mean, cant just
> point the mouse anywhere on the project and the cursor actually goes
> there? In Cubase you have to go to that tiny little damn timeline up
> the top. Group 15 waves? Your looking at least 30 mouse clicks, as far
> as I can tell. Auto crossfading - why wont any other programs aotu
> update the image of the wave file as you drag it over the other??? How
> do people edit drums without seeing the beats they need to match up as
> they nudge that group of waves? Sonar had me screaming blue murder at
> this unbelievable oversight. As I said, Vegas has become my weapon of
> choice, it is very unfortunate that it has become so heavily laden
> with video options, if it means the audio engine is getting weaker.
>
> Has anyone any suggestion for another application I could try if my

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 12:36:50 AM

"GWM" <gwmullins@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<vK2dncwqm_8kvLTcRVn-uQ@comcast.com>...
Vegas 5b is pretty stable on my computer, then again, so is Pro Tools
Le 6.4
> with a Digi002 rack. There were several people reporting problems like
> yours with the earlier version of Vegas (5a), especially if they were using
> a Delta 1010 and did not have the latest drivers. If you are using Vegas
> 5a, be sure to update if you haven't already done so.
>
> I would suggest that you try again to sort this out on the Vegas forum and
> be sure to post on the Vegas Audio and not Vegas Video forum. Make sure you
> tell the forum what kind of sound card you have as well as your computer
> specifics (mobo, processor speed, etc.).
>
> I wouldn't give up just yet.
>
> Greg

Thanks for the advice, Greg - I have Vegas 5.0A and two Delta 10/10
cards, so I guess I'm in that camp. I will upgrade to 5.0C, but I
definitely have the latest Delta drivers.

Will try posting in the Vegas Audio section.

But, Sonar and Cubase SX I cannot make glitch at all, it's just that I
hate the way they work for editing. I got 50 tracks of stereo audio
playing back with edits everywhere and plugs running and Sonar took it
all in its stride.

Will demo Samplitute, hopefully it has similar editing tools.
Thanks for all the responses!
Adam B - Its 4:20 G
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 9:35:22 PM

Adam B wrote:
> Hey There
> I have been using Sonic Foundry Vegas 3 as my main audio application
> for multitrack recording editing and mixing for years now, and did the
> upgrade to Vegas 5, which is now owned by Sony.

You have the wrong end of the stick on quite a few counts

Vegas is EQUALLY an audio multitracking software and video editor.. It also
is one of the best audio multitrackers, with a hugely intuitive and
efficient workflow.

Veags 5 runs very stably on most systems, but as is common with all audio
applications, you need to tweak your Windows for best realtime operation.
Maybe V3 without it's automation etc etc etc just wasn't taxing your system,
or maybe you have not upgraded anything else (drivers, etc) since V3 was
current.

What username did you use in the Sony Vegas - Audio Topics forum ? What
subject ? Most people get their problems fixed there either by peers or
Sony support, especially if they provide sufficient background info.
However it is NOT intended as the official Sony support method. I have never
had a email to their tech support that wasn''t answered within 24 working
hours.

You are *wrong wrong wrong* to suggest that the audio side of Vegas is being
neglected, or that there is something flakey about it. What are your system
details, and what OS optimisation have you made ? And what is this
Vegas-optimisation-specific website - I'd be interested in checking out
what it suggests in comparison to the others; www.musicxp.net, Blackviper,
etc.

geoff
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 9:40:51 PM

Geoff Wood wrote:
> Adam B wrote:
>> Hey There
>> I have been using Sonic Foundry Vegas 3 as my main audio application

Abam

If you were posting as 'AdamB" then it is little wonder you didn't get much
help. All your posts went to the Vegas - Video fiorum rather than the
Vegas - Audio forum. And none related to pops and crackles.

Vegas V5.0b is the current version.

geoff
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 9:13:25 PM

On 22 Aug 2004 10:09:26 -0700, snjstudio@dodo.com.au (Adam B) wrote:

>knowing Vegas better that
>any other application and I feel I would be almost starting again in
>terms of my editing speed with Cubase or Sonar. I mean, cant just
>point the mouse anywhere on the project and the cursor actually goes
>there? In Cubase you have to go to that tiny little damn timeline up
>the top. Group 15 waves? Your looking at least 30 mouse clicks, as far
>as I can tell.

Don't know about Sonar, but you can locate in Cubase by just clicking
in free space.

August 25, 2004 11:25:51 AM

Bummer. I'm sure you've tried all manner of buffer changes and such. It
can be frustrating, which is why, in my upgrade from Samplitude 6.04 to
7.22, I decided to run concurrent systems rather than physically upgrading
the older computer. I realize it's not always an option, but then again,
when an app is two generations later than what you upgraded from, it's
likely that the optimization is going to be for a CPU that's probably 4
generations newer.

So I'm sitting with an Athlon 1600+ that easily runs as many tracks as I've
ever asked for, and it actually would even do Acoustic Mirror in real time
for one instance. The upgraded Samplitude is on a 3200+ Athlon 64 and I
initially had a couple of little glitch problems, but it didn't put the
studio into a bind while I'm testing and configuring.

My point is that you probably should consider a concurrent system setup
before you make the move, IF you studio is such that downtime really costs
money. However it may seem, in business you would never bring down your
main computer system to test new product and implement it. You'd run two
systems simultaneously, work out the bugs on the new one while still having
the ability to maintain your current system. It's a practice that may seem
expensive, but which is more expensive. If your computer is done, you can't
get money in and you can't easily put your hands on some solutions then you
don't even have a time frame of when you'll be back online and ready to do
business again. Not only does this stop your immediate income, but it can
adversely affect getting those people through the doors again, so you've
lost income AND a client, and to me THAT'S FAR MORE EXPENSIVE than fronting
out the money for a new system you can start fresh with.

I realize that this isn't what you want to hear, but I'm not really just
talking to you (some lurkers may be moving in a similar direction), but all
who would think that an application upgrade in a working studio is a simple
matter. Even in a non-working studio, if the ability to capture inspiration
is gone, I've found that the inspiration can quickly be gone, too.

However, and as you may have surmised, I use Samplitude and have found it to
be an excellent product, if not a bit pricey for the first time purchase
(although some competitive upgrades might still be available
(www.samplitude.com)). However, I did come from years of SAW,SAWPlus and
SAWPro and I haven't missed it a bit. Samplitude would certainly be my
suggestion, and users have a very nice presence both here and over at
alt.sekd on the news.sekd.com newserver. You won't go through days of not
getting any answers.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

> [...]
> terms of my editing speed with Cubase or Sonar. I mean, cant just
> point the mouse anywhere on the project and the cursor actually goes
> there? In Cubase you have to go to that tiny little damn timeline up
> the top. Group 15 waves? Your looking at least 30 mouse clicks, as far
> as I can tell. Auto crossfading - why wont any other programs aotu
> update the image of the wave file as you drag it over the other??? How
> do people edit drums without seeing the beats they need to match up as
> they nudge that group of waves? Sonar had me screaming blue murder at
> this unbelievable oversight. As I said, Vegas has become my weapon of
> choice, it is very unfortunate that it has become so heavily laden
> with video options, if it means the audio engine is getting weaker.
>
> Has anyone any suggestion for another application I could try if my

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 5:43:05 AM

>Samplitude would certainly be my
>suggestion, and users have a very nice presence both here and over at
>alt.sekd on the news.sekd.com newserver. You won't go through days of not
>getting any answers.

I can recommend it.I use it for everything.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 8:51:59 PM

Blind Joni wrote:
>> Samplitude would certainly be my
>> suggestion, and users have a very nice presence both here and over at
>> alt.sekd on the news.sekd.com newserver. You won't go through days
>> of not getting any answers.
>
> I can recommend it.I use it for everything.

And I can recommend Vegas 5.0b , I use it for everything, except direct
waveform editing.

geoff
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 11:20:06 PM

>And I can recommend Vegas 5.0b , I use it for everything, except direct
>waveform editing.

I haven't used Vegas..does it burn CD's and backup DVD's?

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 9:32:21 PM

Blind Joni wrote:
>> And I can recommend Vegas 5.0b , I use it for everything, except
>> direct waveform editing.
>
> I haven't used Vegas..does it burn CD's and backup DVD's?
>
> John A. Chiara
> SOS Recording Studio
> Live Sound Inc.
> Albany, NY
> www.sosrecording.net
> 518-449-1637

Burns CDs DAO, and TAO, though I prefer CD Architect for that. Doesn't burn
DVDs directly, though I've suggested integrated project archiving to
CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, and they do take notice of suggestions.

geoff
August 27, 2004 9:32:22 PM

....they do take notice of suggestions.

> geoff

Do they? If they did, Vegas would support Rewire, import OMF, and handle
time-stamped files correctly. (That's about two years of a barrage of
suggestions from a blizzard of users.) And I could still be using it all the
time. Which I would love.
August 30, 2004 12:33:05 PM

Check the audio driver. I had the same problem using delta card and
found that the ASIO support was less then ideal
!