v500 vs v600?

Last response: in Brands
Share
May 15, 2004 10:13:32 PM

What are the differences?

I am in the US where the v500 is not officially available at all (I think)
and the v600 is only officially available for ATT Wireless (and I have
T-Mobile), but I see there are online sites where one can order either of
them unlocked.

They are both Bluetooth phones, which I would want in my next phone. (I have
a Compaq IPAQ 2210 PDA with Bluetooth, and it would be nice to connect it to
the Internet through the phone without having to use a cable.)

What are the differences between the two phones? Are the sound quality and
reception similar? How about form factor? Same dimensions and weight?
Usability similar? PIM functions? Bluetooth implementation the same? Battery
life? Sturdiness?

I guess there is also a 525 available some places. What is different about
that? And the 400-is that a Bluetooth phone? (I know the 300 is not.)

Some things I don't care about one bit--ringtones, faceplates, games, etc.

I looked at the British Motorola site, as the US site has nothing about the
500 series. The comparison chart said something about it having an
integrated MP3 Player. But then I looked at the specifications of the phone,
and saw nothing about that. (I don't mean "MP3 Ringtones", that is
absolutely useless to me. I mean whether the phone can be used as a real
music player.) Can the v500 actually double as a mp3 player? If so, that's a
feature that the v600 doesn't have, from looking at that chart. Is it at all
a good one? Play WMAs as well as Mp3s? What are the features of the
integrated mp3 player, if in fact it has one? If so, it needs to have the
capability to plug stereo music headphones into the phone.

More about : v500 v600

Anonymous
May 16, 2004 6:24:17 AM

MS wrote:

>> I guess there is also a 525 available some places. What is different
>> about that? And the 400-is that a Bluetooth phone? (I know the 300
>> is not.)

The 525 is the Vodafone version of the 500.
May 17, 2004 1:58:34 PM

" MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
> What are the differences?

Essentially, the V600 can handle video playback.

> I am in the US where the v500 is not officially available at all (I think)
> and the v600 is only officially available for ATT Wireless (and I have
> T-Mobile), but I see there are online sites where one can order either of
> them unlocked.
>
> They are both Bluetooth phones, which I would want in my next phone. (I
have
> a Compaq IPAQ 2210 PDA with Bluetooth, and it would be nice to connect it
> the Internet through the phone without having to use a cable.)
>
> What are the differences between the two phones? Are the sound quality and
> reception similar? How about form factor? Same dimensions and weight?
> Usability similar? PIM functions? Bluetooth implementation the same?
Battery
> life? Sturdiness?

The details are all on the site you visited. If you click on the links for
the two phones in the comparison chart in side-by-side browser windows, you
can compare the full specifications.
(watch line-wrap)
http://direct.motorola.com/experience/GBR/ENG/V600/v600...
ry=GBR&Language=ENG&ProductID=29129

http://direct.motorola.com/experience/GBR/ENG/V525/v525...
ry=GBR&Language=ENG&ProductID=29177

Sizes are almost identical - I would think the only difference is the case.
Both have PIM functions. Some ng posters report they have successfully
downloaded the V600 firmware into a V500/525

The V600 appears to have a slightly larger-capacity battery.

> I guess there is also a 525 available some places. What is different about
> that? And the 400-is that a Bluetooth phone? (I know the 300 is not.)
>
> Some things I don't care about one bit--ringtones, faceplates, games, etc.
>
> I looked at the British Motorola site, as the US site has nothing about
the
> 500 series. The comparison chart said something about it having an
> integrated MP3 Player. But then I looked at the specifications of the
phone,
> and saw nothing about that. (I don't mean "MP3 Ringtones", that is
> absolutely useless to me. I mean whether the phone can be used as a real
> music player.) Can the v500 actually double as a mp3 player? If so, that's
> feature that the v600 doesn't have, from looking at that chart. Is it at
all
> a good one? Play WMAs as well as Mp3s? What are the features of the
> integrated mp3 player, if in fact it has one? If so, it needs to have the
> capability to plug stereo music headphones into the phone.

No, the MP3s are intended for ringtones. The comparison chart only shows
the main feature added from the model above.

I suppose you could send an MP3 attachment from an attached device, or in a
MMS or e-mail message, and use the Sounds features to play it back, but the
phone has only(!) 5MB of memory. I don't believe the headphone connections
(hard-wired or Bluetooth) are stereo.
May 18, 2004 1:17:55 AM

Just to confirm the V525 is a UK Vodafone version of the V500. In terms of
upgrade I have successfully upgraded my V525 to what now seems to be a V600,
I've not found any problems.

The MP3 functionallity, if it exists is only any good if you can use a
memory card, and there's no memory slot on the V525 not sure about the V600.

From what I've seen, if there's a price premium for the V600 I'd go for the
V525/V500 and upgrade it..

!