How can you tell if a CDROM device is broken?

Baztian

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Hi,

I´ve recently built a new system for my little brother. Everything went fine, until I tried installing WinXP and Win98 (not a dual-boot).

It gave me very strange errors and crashed. I got XP working, but it crashed for no apparent reason.

Finally, I got Win98 working (with the help of a friend). But, when I tried installing a game, it crashed (blue screen of death). Or installing SoundBlaster drivers. With another cd-rom device (exactly the same, year and model) I could install some programs, but it would also crash.

So, my question: is this problem is caused by the cd-rom player? And how can I tell if it needs replacement? And if so, what speed should I take (52x or 56x or lower)?

Thanks in advance,

Baztian

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
since it crashed with a second drive also it dosent sound like a bad drive reinstall the mobo drivers by removing the ide ports in device manager rebooting and let windoze redetect it could also be the sonicblue sw is the culprit does it install on other machines with similar config ok ?

<font color=red><b> <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/9267/fuddef.html" target="_new">FUD</A></font color=red></b>