Ethernet compatibility for laptop

KCpsc3

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Hello, We have a 2 1/2 y.o. HP Pavilion dv7T quad with an Intel Wireless-N mini-card. Son is about to start college where a 10-base T ethernet card is required for connection (and an internet cable in some dorms). Will his laptop work as is, or is an upgrade needed? Or are we better off buying a new computer to allow him gaming and use of his laptop for engineering programs? Thanks.

Most modern laptops (but not all) already have an ethernet port, and almost invariably support 10/100Mbps connections. So basically if he has an ethernet port at all, it'll work. If he doesn't have one, you can always buy an inexpensive USB ethernet adapter.

KCpsc3

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Thanks for your answer. We're not very knowledgeable about computers, but I'd been looking online at ethernet adaptors and wondering if they might apply to this.

Yes, they're available in many locations, including Amazon, Newegg, and even eBay (probably the least expensive). And you don’t need to spend a lot (despite the occasional nutty prices you’ll see), $7-15 is plenty. They’re all pretty much the same, just make sure it’s USB 2.0 and 10/100Mbps minimum (almost all are anyway).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ausb+ethernet+adapter&keywords=usb+ethernet+adapter&ie=UTF8&qid=1343685034

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=usb%20ethernet%20adapter&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

P.S. I should add, if you prefer, you could get a wireless AP instead (even a wireless router) and patch that to the wireless ethernet port provided by the school. That way he'd be using wireless rather than tethered to some stupid ethernet cable. The only reason the school says ethernet is that they don't intend to provide wireless (saves them a little money). But nothing says you can't bring your own (assuming, of course, the school doesn't have a policy against it).

[ethernet @ wall]<-- wire -->[wireless ap]<-- wireless -->[laptop]

KCpsc3

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Thanks eibgrad for the extra info. The online prices I saw at Staples and the HP website were around $39.99. Good to know they're cheaper, and where to search! I'll check out your links - have ordered other stuff on amazon and e-bay before with good results.

TRENDING THREADS