Windows XP Activation & Punkbuster frustration (Long Story)

Any gamers go back to Windows 2000 from Windows XP? I am curious
because the activation is becoming a real pain at times.

It started for me when I accidently flashed the wrong bios. Sounds
stupid, but I have an Abit NF7 and there are a zillion versions. For
example, there is an NF7 version 2.0, version 1.0, NF7-M, NF7-S, NF7-S2,
and many more with multiple versions. Anyways, I ordered an NF7-S2G
and put that in, and I had to reactivate Windows. I can understand that
since it is a new, but a similiar replacement board. It is so simliar,
that I used it to hotflash the bios for my NF7 to fix it. I was happy
to stay with the newer board since it had a bunch of new features, but I
was having probems with it. There is one problem where CPU L2 cache is
disabled. Here is a long thread for that issue:

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=81d531afd4d5034df737e4b753b6ec96&threadid=73205

I decided to put my old NF7 back in with the fixed bios, and everything
is working great again. I had to reactivate windows again. Now, that I
really cannot understand since I was activated once before with that
board. Now I have to activate windows if I change video drivers, or
even a sound card. It is real frustrating. Now they always let me
activate, but one time there system was down and I had to wait an hour
to use my computer.

To make a long story short, what started the original bios flash for me
was trying to fix the Punkbuster intermittent lockup issue in one game:
Battlefield Vietnam. All my games run perfect except one due the that
lockup issue many people are experiencing. Here is the huge thread for
that issue:

http://www.hardwareforum.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=120

Regards,

javajeff
13 answers Last reply
More about windows activation punkbuster frustration long story

    Errr...if you bought your copy of XP then why not disable activation?
    I'm not promoting piracy here but if you bought it and it's a PITA then
    why not disable it?

    "javajeff" <javajeff@city-net.com> wrote in message
    > Any gamers go back to Windows 2000 from Windows XP? I am curious because
    > the activation is becoming a real pain at times.
    >
    > It started for me when I accidently flashed the wrong bios. Sounds
    > stupid, but I have an Abit NF7 and there are a zillion versions. For
    > example, there is an NF7 version 2.0, version 1.0, NF7-M, NF7-S, NF7-S2,
    > and many more with multiple versions. Anyways, I ordered an NF7-S2G and
    > put that in, and I had to reactivate Windows. I can understand that since
    > it is a new, but a similiar replacement board. It is so simliar, that I
    > used it to hotflash the bios for my NF7 to fix it. I was happy to stay
    > with the newer board since it had a bunch of new features, but I was
    > having probems with it. There is one problem where CPU L2 cache is
    > disabled. Here is a long thread for that issue:
    >
    > http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=81d531afd4d5034df737e4b753b6ec96&threadid=73205
    >
    > I decided to put my old NF7 back in with the fixed bios, and everything is
    > working great again. I had to reactivate windows again. Now, that I
    > really cannot understand since I was activated once before with that
    > board. Now I have to activate windows if I change video drivers, or even
    > a sound card. It is real frustrating. Now they always let me activate,
    > but one time there system was down and I had to wait an hour to use my
    > computer.
    >
    > To make a long story short, what started the original bios flash for me
    > was trying to fix the Punkbuster intermittent lockup issue in one game:
    > Battlefield Vietnam. All my games run perfect except one due the that
    > lockup issue many people are experiencing. Here is the huge thread for
    > that issue:
    >
    > http://www.hardwareforum.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=120
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > javajeff

    If you have an OEM version of Windows XP then once it has you reactivate, it
    has you reactivate quite frequently after that. I had that happen once. I
    changed out my motherboard and same thing. I eventually sold that system
    with the new OS installed (letting buyer know about it) and bought a new
    Windows XP version non-OEM. So far so good. I agree, it is dumb and
    annoying. They force you to do that so that you WILL buy another copy.
    Again, another way the big software companies screw the end item consumer
    while claiming that it is to prevent piracy...

    One can only hope that some unix based OS takes flight someday soon, and is
    a decent competitor to Winblows.

    DosFreak wrote:
    > Errr...if you bought your copy of XP then why not disable activation?
    > I'm not promoting piracy here but if you bought it and it's a PITA then
    > why not disable it?

    There is no way to disable Activation. And even if it is possible, it
    will prevent me from getting updates. I bought Windows XP from
    Newegg.com with my computer parts, so there is no reason that it should
    not have the ability to change parts. I will never buy proprietary
    machines, but I am being punished for building. I have the right to
    move parts around as long as I only have Windows installed on one computer.

    Regards,

    javajeff

    > DosFreak wrote:
    >> Errr...if you bought your copy of XP then why not disable activation?
    >> I'm not promoting piracy here but if you bought it and it's a PITA then
    >> why not disable it?
    >>
    > There is no way to disable Activation. And even if it is possible, it
    > will prevent me from getting updates. I bought Windows XP from Newegg.com
    > with my computer parts, so there is no reason that it should not have the
    > ability to change parts. I will never buy proprietary machines, but I am
    > being punished for building. I have the right to move parts around as
    > long as I only have Windows installed on one computer.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > javajeff

    Exactly. Activation is required for ALL Windows XP products. As much as I
    like WinXP I hate the activation. I have three PC's, of which I don't use
    each simulataneously. It would be nice if I could install on all three
    without having to fork over money for an OS for all three.

    "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "javajeff" <javajeff@city-net.com> wrote in message
    >> DosFreak wrote:
    >>> Errr...if you bought your copy of XP then why not disable activation?
    >>> I'm not promoting piracy here but if you bought it and it's a PITA then
    >>> why not disable it?
    >>>
    >> There is no way to disable Activation. And even if it is possible, it
    >> will prevent me from getting updates. I bought Windows XP from
    >> Newegg.com with my computer parts, so there is no reason that it should
    >> not have the ability to change parts. I will never buy proprietary
    >> machines, but I am being punished for building. I have the right to move
    >> parts around as long as I only have Windows installed on one computer.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> javajeff
    >
    > Exactly. Activation is required for ALL Windows XP products. As much as I
    > like WinXP I hate the activation. I have three PC's, of which I don't use
    > each simulataneously. It would be nice if I could install on all three
    > without having to fork over money for an OS for all three.

    Well, not ALL Windows XP products; the corporate version of XP Pro doesn't
    require activation. As to your multiple PC's, that's exactly the reason for
    the current activation. Remember when you could use one Win98 CD and put an
    OS on every computer in the house (or neighborhood for that matter) ? MS
    does not like to sell one copy of an OS to be used on multiple machines,
    much like you describe.

    Yes, the Corp ver is quite real. You hear about it from Warez groups
    because obviously they'd want the pre-activated version and not the one
    that requires activation. As for downloading from MS as long as your
    key is valid you'll have no problems. Activation is quite easy to
    disable so if you already have a legal copy then a simple google search
    will find it for you. MS doesn't really care if you crack the
    activation or not has long as you have licensed copies for the number
    of PC's that you own then your good to go....obviously if you have a
    problem with your PC you shouldn't blurt out that you disabled
    activation since cracking activation isn't a supported configuration.

    HockeyTownUSA wrote:
    > "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message

    >>AFAIK there isn't a real MS corporate version - isn't 'corporate' just the
    >>codeword for warez version? Hence - no activation.
    >>

    > There is a corporate version, just that you are still paying for it on
    > separate PC's as you pay license fees for it for each PC it goes on. Of
    > course you can lie about the number of PC's, but all it takes is one audit
    > and you're hosed. I actually have one of the "corporate" versions you speak
    > of, but it won't let me update the service packs without a code activation.

    Hmmm. Didn't know that. Never come across a Corporate version on the
    MS website but perhaps I frequent the 'cheaper' parts of it :-)

    Is it easier to pirate or switch off activation for? Just wondered why
    I have seen it mentioned so much in P2P articles etc?

    --
    It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
    taming in one go.
    You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
    taming, say, via banking...

    > AFAIK there isn't a real MS corporate version - isn't 'corporate' just
    > the codeword for warez version? Hence - no activation.

    There is indeed a corporate edition - that's Windows XP Professional.
    Corporations won't deal with this sort of activation garbage.

    You can crack XP Home to not require activation or just pirate Windows XP
    Pro. Either way you won't have to deal with these Microsoft Monopoly hoops.

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:19:55 -0500, "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com>
    wrote:

    >"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
    >
    >> AFAIK there isn't a real MS corporate version - isn't 'corporate' just
    >> the codeword for warez version? Hence - no activation.
    >
    >There is indeed a corporate edition - that's Windows XP Professional.
    >Corporations won't deal with this sort of activation garbage.

    Actually, WinXP Pro is an "improved" version of WinXP home - it has nothing
    to do whether or not it needs activation.

    The need for activating is based on the CD-Key that is used. Some are
    auto-activated (e.g. as was needed for a college course that required WinXP
    on a Caddy drive), while others need Internet or phone-based activation.
    Note that the keys for "auto-activation" have been changed for SP2 - the
    formula should be considered different (thus rendering old pirated keys and
    old key-gennners useless).

    wrote:
    >"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
    >
    >> AFAIK there isn't a real MS corporate version - isn't 'corporate' just
    >> the codeword for warez version? Hence - no activation.
    >
    >There is indeed a corporate edition - that's Windows XP Professional.
    >Corporations won't deal with this sort of activation garbage.

    Standard XP Pro (non-OEM) does require activation, and OEM XP Pro
    definitely does (I have legit versions of both plus XP Home in use
    here). There is a 'Windows XP Corporate Professional Edition' that uses
    a universal product key and doesn't require activation which might be
    what you're thinking of.

    >You can crack XP Home to not require activation or just pirate Windows XP
    >Pro. Either way you won't have to deal with these Microsoft Monopoly hoops.

    Try XP-antispy, http://www.xp-antispy.org/, then you can turn on and off
    activation as required, i.e. before applying a service pack or disabling
    it after a service pack has re-enabled it.

    --
    Alfie
    <http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

    "Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:19:55 -0500, "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> AFAIK there isn't a real MS corporate version - isn't 'corporate' just
    >>> the codeword for warez version? Hence - no activation.
    >>
    >>There is indeed a corporate edition - that's Windows XP Professional.
    >>Corporations won't deal with this sort of activation garbage.
    >
    > Actually, WinXP Pro is an "improved" version of WinXP home - it has
    > nothing
    > to do whether or not it needs activation.
    >
    > The need for activating is based on the CD-Key that is used. Some are
    > auto-activated (e.g. as was needed for a college course that required
    > WinXP
    > on a Caddy drive), while others need Internet or phone-based activation.
    > Note that the keys for "auto-activation" have been changed for SP2 - the
    > formula should be considered different (thus rendering old pirated keys
    > and
    > old key-gennners useless).

    XP Pro was made more for the business environment and the power user. It
    includes features that the Home version does not have. These included (at
    release):

    -Remote Desktop (Not remote assistance)
    -Multi-processor support
    -Dynamic Disk Support (as per Win2000)
    -IIS /Personal Web Server
    -Encrypting File System
    -Many more administrative controls
    -Many more networking features

    XP Pro can be controlled over a network which means in a big business,
    everybody's machines can (theoretically) be set up as the company wants,
    from a central server/administrator.

    That being said, there are different "versions" of XP Pro. AFAIK, these are
    differentiated by the CD or License Keys. The corporate version I was
    referring to in an earlier post, is meant for multiple licenses in a single
    site, or to be used by a single business.

    XP Pro can be installed from a central location onto networked computers.
    The (corporate) key used does not require activation because the company
    pays for multiple machine installations. All the PCs have the same key;
    imagine them all calling in for activation.

    XP Pro, in and of itself, is _not_ the corporate edition, as mentioned in a
    post above. If you buy the retail boxed version of XP Pro, you will have to
    run the activation. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

PC gaming Windows XP Video Games