Cooling for PC1066 RAMBUS

Edzo

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
Hi, My new PC is equiped with 4 * 256 MB PC1066 RAMBUS memory. The memory gets very hot, does anybody know a way to cool it. No problems so far but I don't wanna wait for them to occur. I couldn't find any memorycoolers on the internet, maybe someone else knows one.

Thanks! Edzo

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
RDRAM runs hot and it's normal for it to run hot. There's nothing to worry about unless you want to do some serious overclocking.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
AMD_Man is correct. However, if you still want to cool it there are a lot of heat spreaders available.

What kind, make and model do you have? We'll take it from there if you like.

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
AMD_Man is correct. However, if you still want to cool it there are a lot of heat spreaders available.

What kind, make and model do you have? We'll take it from there if you like.
All RDRAM comes standard with heat spreaders actually.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
My first problem would be that I didn't read the first line.

What the heck is wrong with me? (Besides the obvious. :smile: )

Maybe because I am sad from all of the people leaving this forum. I know this is not the place for it but <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">read this.</A> It is depressing what has happened to this place over the past year. Especially in the last 6 months.

Back to this again...

Second...Not all heatspreaders are made equal.

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Forgive me for being an idiot.

I had a thought...

Because you are using 4 memory modules you could be running hot due to all of the devices being in close proximity to each other. How many devices are on each stick? I mean are they high density chips and few chips?

A small fan could help flow air across the spreaders and help cool what you have.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Thermaltake makes a RAM cooling fan that might clip onto your stock heat spreaders.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had asked more questions first!</font color=blue>