What were or still are,your favorite arcade games and why?

What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.
25 answers Last reply
More about what your favorite arcade games

    Tempest, Discs of Tron, Wizard of Wor those were my favorite arcade games.
    All now long gone, just like my youth...

    --
    Remove nospam to email
    <lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    > and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    > (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    <lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    > and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    > (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    Space Invaders.
    The damn soundtrack (that hump, hump, hump) along with the constantly
    lowering threat, jump make my heart pound trying to kill those bastards!
    No home version (thank god), I waste enough time with CoD and now Silent
    Hunter III.
    --
    Dr. Dickie
    Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

    On 14 Apr 2005 03:47:25 -0700, lav111@hotmail.com wrote:

    >What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    >and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    >(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    I think Defender swallowed more of my pocket money than anything else
    so that would have to get my vote. I was never great at playing it,
    but it was great fun.

    Scramble and Gorf also deserve honourable mentions for 10p
    consumption.

    <lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    > and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    > (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    Sinistar (love that voice), Front Line (with the joystick and paddle
    controls) and Mystic Marathon.

    turk
    --
    "As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
    the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great

    Bubble Bobble because it's genius and great once you know the powerup
    cheats.

    On 14 Apr 2005 03:47:25 -0700, lav111@hotmail.com wrote:

    >What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    >and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    >(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    Off the top of my head and in no particular order (all in an arcade)
    Galaxian, can't really say why I liked it so much
    Tempest, simple concept but still challenging
    Gauntlet, multiplayer with friends was great.

    But I haven't played them in years, I haven't been in an aracade in
    years.

    of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

    lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
    > What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    > and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    > (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    Robotron 2084. Another great from Eugene Jarvis who also created Defender.

    defender, scramble and xevious.

    after "one screen affairs" they gave me the feeling
    of "much more to come", so i inserted "one more
    coin"...

    cu

    frank

    In article <1113475645.732005.172190@l41g2000cwc.googlegrovps.com>,
    lav111@hotmail.com () wrote:

    Asteroids has a pvrity of gameplay that was always hard to beat. Scramble
    was the first game to tax my memory and reactions simvltaneovsly, so I
    have a big soft spot for that. And Invaders, of covrse, is a game which
    bypasses all reason and taps into a vein of pvre nostalgia.

    I didn't play Defender mvch becavse Steve "Interesting" Davis* played
    it... and probably becavse the Stvdents' Union didn't have a machine. They
    did get a Star Wars machine thovgh a year or so later. Now *that* woke me
    vp to what was on the horizon for gamers. Covldn't get near the damned
    machine to have a go thovgh vnless yov got vp early on a Svnday morning...
    along with all the other sad b*stards :-)

    Andrew McP

    *A talented bvt tediovs snooker player, for those of yov with no idea who
    I'm talking abovt.

    lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
    > What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    > and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    > (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    Asteroids, Battle Zone, Centipede and Missile Command. They took so
    much money from me and made so much impression that I still have them on
    the PC (Microsoft Arcade). The folder with all 4 games in is just over
    1MB - how things change.

    --
    It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
    taming in one go.

    lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
    > What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    > and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    > (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    R-Type, Juno First & Xevious.

    What would I do without Mame32?

    <lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    > and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    > (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    Tron. Tron. Tron.

    Hard as hell, but fun once you mastered it. Loved the movie as a kid too.

    Too bad arcades have gone away. Hell, the only thing similar is a Dave and
    Busters and Game Works which will cost $50 for a couple hours of gaming. I
    remember when I could pass an entire evening at the arcade for under $20.
    Not to mention my dad had a friend at the local arcade who must have given
    me hundreds of dollars in tokens for game playing. Good to have friends in
    electronic places.

    <lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    > and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    > (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    Pong - just a classic.
    Defender - because it was damn hard.
    Joust - Played for days at college. Once you got the rythym down it was
    cool.
    Gauntlet - Multi-player goodness.

    > On 14 Apr 2005 03:47:25 -0700, lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    >>and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    >>(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.
    >
    > I think Defender swallowed more of my pocket money than anything else
    > so that would have to get my vote. I was never great at playing it,
    > but it was great fun.
    >
    > Scramble and Gorf also deserve honourable mentions for 10p
    > consumption.

    Scramble and Gorf... awesome games.

    On 14 Apr 2005 03:47:25 -0700, lav111@hotmail.com wrote:

    >What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    >and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    >(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    Robotron. Love the totally manic fast action.
    I also agreed with a lot of the games mentioned in this thread. In
    fact, I play Robotron and a lot of those others pretty much every day
    on my MAME cabinet. Anyone who loves these oldies should check MAME
    out. Pics of my cabinet build:
    http://home.comcast.net/~tok/

    Tim

    <lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    > and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    > (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    arcade favorites (* is top on the list):

    Xevious*
    Dragon's Lair* / Space Ace*
    Gauntlet
    Firefox
    Star Wars (the original - vector graphics)

    I can't remember any more - that's going back 20 or so years...I really do
    miss arcades...the really good ones all closed around my area, and the ONE
    that is left (Chuck E. Cheese does NOT count) is really no better than Chuck
    E.

    "John M Clancy" <notanemail@nospam.com> wrote in news:115udvogco19o23
    @news.supernews.com:

    > Joust - Played for days at college. Once you got the rythym down it was
    > cool.

    Another great one I forgot to list, I wish someone would make a revamped
    version of this game in 3D, that would rock.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >"John M Clancy" <notanemail@nospam.com> wrote in news:115udvogco19o23
    >@news.supernews.com:
    >
    >> Joust - Played for days at college. Once you got the rythym down it was
    >> cool.
    >
    >Another great one I forgot to list, I wish someone would make a revamped
    >version of this game in 3D, that would rock.

    Yeah but then before you know it it'll be a multiplayer online game, and
    then there will be those people buying special mounts for real cash.

    Xocyll
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote in news:k5dv51lkc5gmngc9e9udr9u47p39bd5pa9
    @4ax.com:

    > on my MAME cabinet. Anyone who loves these oldies should check MAME
    > out. Pics of my cabinet build:
    > http://home.comcast.net/~tok/

    Very cool, but my wife would never let me get one. Hmm... unless... i could
    fit it in the garage, the garage is MY domain, muhahaha!

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Galaga, a game that survived for decades in mall arcades. I'll still
    play it if I run across it. I was never a wizard, though.

    Joust. What a game. Once, I had the high score at the local bowling
    alley. I didn't realize that it let the high scorer put his whole name
    in, so I just put my initials in like always. Gah.

    What was the first driving game in which the steering wheel shook when
    you went off the road? (and there was a sitdown version in which the
    whole thing would shake). That was a good game.

    -Dan Damouth
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    >What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    >and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    >(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    Q*Bert, Marble Worlds, Asteroids, Defender, Missile Command and some
    others from Atari (?) that I can't remember the names of.

    -pw
    remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
    (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    >lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    >> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    >> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.
    >>

    >Robotron 2084. Another great from Eugene Jarvis who also created Defender.

    That was one of the ones I couldn't remember! Just plain crazy!!! I
    will never forget when it came out for my Atari ST. It looked and
    played as well as the coin-op.

    -pw
    remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
    (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    >What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    >and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    >(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    Forgot Tempest and Robotron!

    -pw
    remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
    (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com> writes:

    > What was the first driving game in which the steering wheel shook when
    > you went off the road?

    Outrun?

    Nick

    --
    # sigmask (lambda deprecation version) 20041028 || feed this to a python
    print ''.join([chr(ord(x)-1) for x in 'Ojdl!Wbshjti!=ojdlAwbshjti/psh?'])

    On 15 Apr 2005 14:10:07 GMT, knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote in news:k5dv51lkc5gmngc9e9udr9u47p39bd5pa9
    >@4ax.com:
    >
    >> on my MAME cabinet. Anyone who loves these oldies should check MAME
    >> out. Pics of my cabinet build:
    >> http://home.comcast.net/~tok/
    >
    >Very cool, but my wife would never let me get one. Hmm... unless... i could
    >fit it in the garage, the garage is MY domain, muhahaha!

    What do you mean, "let"? Just do it, she'll learn to live with it.
    Hah.

PC gaming Games IBM Video Games