What were or still are,your favorite arcade games and why?

Last response: in Video Games
April 14, 2005 7:47:25 AM

What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

More about : favorite arcade games

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 11:20:50 AM

Tempest, Discs of Tron, Wizard of Wor those were my favorite arcade games.
All now long gone, just like my youth...

--
Remove nospam to email
<lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 11:30:43 AM

<lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Space Invaders.
The damn soundtrack (that hump, hump, hump) along with the constantly
lowering threat, jump make my heart pound trying to kill those bastards!
No home version (thank god), I waste enough time with CoD and now Silent
Hunter III.
--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

On 14 Apr 2005 03:47:25 -0700, lav111@hotmail.com wrote:

>What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
>and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
>(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

I think Defender swallowed more of my pocket money than anything else
so that would have to get my vote. I was never great at playing it,
but it was great fun.

Scramble and Gorf also deserve honourable mentions for 10p
consumption.
April 14, 2005 4:15:36 PM

<lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Sinistar (love that voice), Front Line (with the joystick and paddle
controls) and Mystic Marathon.

turk
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great

Bubble Bobble because it's genius and great once you know the powerup
cheats.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:24:55 PM

On 14 Apr 2005 03:47:25 -0700, lav111@hotmail.com wrote:

>What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
>and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
>(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Off the top of my head and in no particular order (all in an arcade)
Galaxian, can't really say why I liked it so much
Tempest, simple concept but still challenging
Gauntlet, multiplayer with friends was great.

But I haven't played them in years, I haven't been in an aracade in
years.

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:59:19 PM

lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Robotron 2084. Another great from Eugene Jarvis who also created Defender.
April 14, 2005 11:23:20 PM

defender, scramble and xevious.

after "one screen affairs" they gave me the feeling
of "much more to come", so i inserted "one more
coin"...

cu

frank
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 11:58:00 PM

In article <1113475645.732005.172190@l41g2000cwc.googlegrovps.com>,
lav111@hotmail.com () wrote:

Asteroids has a pvrity of gameplay that was always hard to beat. Scramble
was the first game to tax my memory and reactions simvltaneovsly, so I
have a big soft spot for that. And Invaders, of covrse, is a game which
bypasses all reason and taps into a vein of pvre nostalgia.

I didn't play Defender mvch becavse Steve "Interesting" Davis* played
it... and probably becavse the Stvdents' Union didn't have a machine. They
did get a Star Wars machine thovgh a year or so later. Now *that* woke me
vp to what was on the horizon for gamers. Covldn't get near the damned
machine to have a go thovgh vnless yov got vp early on a Svnday morning...
along with all the other sad b*stards :-)

Andrew McP

*A talented bvt tediovs snooker player, for those of yov with no idea who
I'm talking abovt.
April 15, 2005 12:23:37 AM

lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Asteroids, Battle Zone, Centipede and Missile Command. They took so
much money from me and made so much impression that I still have them on
the PC (Microsoft Arcade). The folder with all 4 games in is just over
1MB - how things change.

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.

lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

R-Type, Juno First & Xevious.

What would I do without Mame32?
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:58:04 AM

<lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Tron. Tron. Tron.

Hard as hell, but fun once you mastered it. Loved the movie as a kid too.

Too bad arcades have gone away. Hell, the only thing similar is a Dave and
Busters and Game Works which will cost $50 for a couple hours of gaming. I
remember when I could pass an entire evening at the arcade for under $20.
Not to mention my dad had a friend at the local arcade who must have given
me hundreds of dollars in tokens for game playing. Good to have friends in
electronic places.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 3:41:50 AM

<lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Pong - just a classic.
Defender - because it was damn hard.
Joust - Played for days at college. Once you got the rythym down it was
cool.
Gauntlet - Multi-player goodness.
April 15, 2005 4:41:59 AM

> On 14 Apr 2005 03:47:25 -0700, lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
>>and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
>>(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.
>
> I think Defender swallowed more of my pocket money than anything else
> so that would have to get my vote. I was never great at playing it,
> but it was great fun.
>
> Scramble and Gorf also deserve honourable mentions for 10p
> consumption.

Scramble and Gorf... awesome games.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:36:23 PM

On 14 Apr 2005 03:47:25 -0700, lav111@hotmail.com wrote:

>What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
>and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
>(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Robotron. Love the totally manic fast action.
I also agreed with a lot of the games mentioned in this thread. In
fact, I play Robotron and a lot of those others pretty much every day
on my MAME cabinet. Anyone who loves these oldies should check MAME
out. Pics of my cabinet build:
http://home.comcast.net/~tok/

Tim
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:22:05 PM

<lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

arcade favorites (* is top on the list):

Xevious*
Dragon's Lair* / Space Ace*
Gauntlet
Firefox
Star Wars (the original - vector graphics)

I can't remember any more - that's going back 20 or so years...I really do
miss arcades...the really good ones all closed around my area, and the ONE
that is left (Chuck E. Cheese does NOT count) is really no better than Chuck
E.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:08:15 PM

"John M Clancy" <notanemail@nospam.com> wrote in news:115udvogco19o23
@news.supernews.com:

> Joust - Played for days at college. Once you got the rythym down it was
> cool.

Another great one I forgot to list, I wish someone would make a revamped
version of this game in 3D, that would rock.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:08:16 PM

knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>"John M Clancy" <notanemail@nospam.com> wrote in news:115udvogco19o23
>@news.supernews.com:
>
>> Joust - Played for days at college. Once you got the rythym down it was
>> cool.
>
>Another great one I forgot to list, I wish someone would make a revamped
>version of this game in 3D, that would rock.

Yeah but then before you know it it'll be a multiplayer online game, and
then there will be those people buying special mounts for real cash.

Xocyll
April 15, 2005 6:10:07 PM

Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote in news:k5dv51lkc5gmngc9e9udr9u47p39bd5pa9
@4ax.com:

> on my MAME cabinet. Anyone who loves these oldies should check MAME
> out. Pics of my cabinet build:
> http://home.comcast.net/~tok/

Very cool, but my wife would never let me get one. Hmm... unless... i could
fit it in the garage, the garage is MY domain, muhahaha!

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:50:12 PM

Galaga, a game that survived for decades in mall arcades. I'll still
play it if I run across it. I was never a wizard, though.

Joust. What a game. Once, I had the high score at the local bowling
alley. I didn't realize that it let the high scorer put his whole name
in, so I just put my initials in like always. Gah.

What was the first driving game in which the steering wheel shook when
you went off the road? (and there was a sitdown version in which the
whole thing would shake). That was a good game.

-Dan Damouth
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 12:56:54 AM

>What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
>and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
>(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Q*Bert, Marble Worlds, Asteroids, Defender, Missile Command and some
others from Atari (?) that I can't remember the names of.

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

April 16, 2005 12:58:08 AM

>lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
>> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
>> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
>> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.
>>

>Robotron 2084. Another great from Eugene Jarvis who also created Defender.

That was one of the ones I couldn't remember! Just plain crazy!!! I
will never forget when it came out for my Atari ST. It looked and
played as well as the coin-op.

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

April 16, 2005 12:58:59 AM

>What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
>and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
>(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Forgot Tempest and Robotron!

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

April 16, 2005 2:32:15 AM

Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com> writes:

> What was the first driving game in which the steering wheel shook when
> you went off the road?

Outrun?

Nick

--
# sigmask (lambda deprecation version) 20041028 || feed this to a python
print ''.join([chr(ord(x)-1) for x in 'Ojdl!Wbshjti!=ojdlAwbshjti/psh?'])

On 15 Apr 2005 14:10:07 GMT, knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

>Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote in news:k5dv51lkc5gmngc9e9udr9u47p39bd5pa9
>@4ax.com:
>
>> on my MAME cabinet. Anyone who loves these oldies should check MAME
>> out. Pics of my cabinet build:
>> http://home.comcast.net/~tok/
>
>Very cool, but my wife would never let me get one. Hmm... unless... i could
>fit it in the garage, the garage is MY domain, muhahaha!

What do you mean, "let"? Just do it, she'll learn to live with it.
Hah.
!