Sign in with
Your question

Sharing wifi on Windows 7 with an Alfa AWUS036H

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 30, 2012 9:28:02 PM

I know this is possible, but I haven't found the steps to accomplish this. I have a Win 7 x64 with an Alfa AWUS036H connected to the internet (strong signal). I have a Win 7 x64 notebook whose wifi adapter shows a very low signal strength. I know there is a way to use the Alfa AWUS036H both for the primary wifi/internet connection and for Virtual WiFi to the notebook.

The Virtual WiFi is supposed to be part of Win7? But I can't find in the network control panel how to set it up.

Any step by steps would be appreciated.

Thanks

D~
July 30, 2012 10:12:19 PM

Use the Alfa's own configuration utility, it's there (I have the same adapter and have used that feature myself).
m
l
July 31, 2012 5:10:53 AM

Thank you. I did use ALFA WIRELESS LAN UTILITY. Under the Virtual Wifi tab I ticked Virtual WIFI Soft AP - started.

On the notebook, I can connect to the newly created WIFI AP, but it dosent share internet? What can you do with this then? The host computer still has internet running?
m
l
Related resources
July 31, 2012 7:14:00 AM

Under that same tab (Virtual WiFi), at the bottom, once the WiFi hotspot is established, you should see a checkbox that says "Setting Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" that once you check, will allow you to share it w/ other connections (Select Public Network), including the wireless client itself.
m
l
August 2, 2012 4:58:14 PM

eibgrad said:
Under that same tab (Virtual WiFi), at the bottom, once the WiFi hotspot is established, you should see a checkbox that says "Setting Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" that once you check, will allow you to share it w/ other connections (Select Public Network), including the wireless client itself.

Thanks this worked for me, the issue i am having is once i change the SSID the old ones are still showing up on my other computers available wifi connections. Is there some way to delete the old SSID's?
m
l
August 2, 2012 5:55:13 PM

Control Panel->Network and Internet->Network Sharing Center->Manage wireless networks, and delete the relevant profile(s).
m
l
August 2, 2012 6:25:30 PM

eibgrad said:
Control Panel->Network and Internet->Network Sharing Center->Manage wireless networks, and delete the relevant profile(s).

It only shows one profile (Realtek_Wifi_Direct), after it has been deleted i run into the same problem as before. When i start the virtual wifi connection it is still broadcasting numerous SSID's that i have created before.

As an example when i search for wifi on my other computer i am seeing SSID's like.

Test1
Test2

My goal is to only broadcast my most recent SSID. The old profiles are being saved somewhere, i just can't seem to find it so they can be deleted.
m
l
August 2, 2012 10:26:48 PM

Oh, you mean on the wireless AP itself, there is actually multiple SSIDs being broadcast? Doesn't make sense. I certainly never noticed it here, although I usually just accept the default SSID name each time.

Try checking Network Connections (type ncpa.cpl at a command prompt) and see if they’re listed there, probably as multiple Wan Miniports. Perhaps you can delete them w/ a right-click.
m
l
August 2, 2012 11:01:33 PM

eibgrad said:
Oh, you mean on the wireless AP itself, there is actually multiple SSIDs being broadcast? Doesn't make sense. I certainly never noticed it here, although I usually just accept the default SSID name each time.

Try checking Network Connections (type ncpa.cpl at a command prompt) and see if they’re listed there, probably as multiple Wan Miniports. Perhaps you can delete them w/ a right-click.

I finally managed to fix it. I simply plugged in another wireless adapter, then i put the alfa back in. This cleared up all the old SSID's showing up on available networks.
m
l
!