I find the old doom better then Doom3

Hi
I find the old doom games beter in everything except in graphics and sound.

The levels music gameplay is much better in the old doom game.
And at least you can see them ;)

> Hi
> I find the old doom games beter in everything except in graphics and
> sound.
>
> The levels music gameplay is much better in the old doom game.
> And at least you can see them ;)

I am very much in the minority around here, but Doom 3 is the scariest game
I have played since AVP2. Of course, that may be due to the fact that I have
to wait until the wife goes to bed around 11:00 to play it. She had issues
with Painkiller having a demonic slant, so I haven't even mentioned that I
have Doom 3 installed.

Having a swarm of cherubs knaw at your knees at 1:30 in the morning still
makes my skin crawl, not to mention wondering if you'll have enough ammo and
health to take down a hell knight. I still have to catch my breath after
taking on one of those behemoths! You gotta hand it to the creature
designers -- for demons, they're very well designed and offer different
types of gameplay. Could've used more pinky demons and less imps, IMO
however.

For me, the immersion factor is quite high, much like the original Half-Life
games or SS2. I highly suggest turning off all non-essential lighting and
sticking mainly to the shotgun. What's more, it plays smoothly on my average
rig (AIW 9800 Pro, Audigy 2 ZS, Athlon XP 2.6 GHz, 512 MB's RAM), unlike the
Half-Life 2 demo, which crashes right after the G-Man's intro. All that
trouble with Steam and then it still CTD. Ugh.

Yes, I realize the enemies don't reload, but, then again, all you have to do
to pick up ammo and health is walk over it (as opposed to actively picking
it up in games like SS2 or Chrome). How is that for realistic?

Yes, it's too dark in many areas, but that's the point. (Hint: Map the
flashlight to your right mouse button to switch quickly back and forth to
your current weapon. They switch in about half a second). No lights on the
weapons adds to the tension.

Yes, it's linear and somewhat cramped, but even I have gotten lost a few
times. And I've played over 50 FPS's.

And yes, the way things jump out at you, or even behind you, might be an
outdated gameplay style, but it fits this particular setting and horror
genre.

My 2¢,

- f_f

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 07:38:01 -0500, "Rick Ryan"
<nighthawk@axecessnet.net> wrote:

>Hi
>I find the old doom games beter in everything except in graphics and sound.
>
>The levels music gameplay is much better in the old doom game.
>And at least you can see them ;)

Try Painkiller for an old-fashioned Doom-style rush.

John Lewis

faster_framerates wrote:
>>Hi
>>I find the old doom games beter in everything except in graphics and
>>sound.
>>
>>The levels music gameplay is much better in the old doom game.
>>And at least you can see them ;)
>

> I am very much in the minority around here, but Doom 3 is the scariest game
> I have played since AVP2.

It is. Some of it is genuinley disturbing. But that's all it's really
got going for it.

Use the Doomsday engine, JDoom, JHeretic, and JHexen. While nowhere
near Doom 3 graphics quality it's good 'nuff and hey no Darkness! :D

I like the expansion for Doom 3. The grabber makes the game much more
fun. I think I am almost to the end of it, unfortunately. If someone
makes a mod where you can use the grabber in the original Doom 3, it
would make it worth replaying. I try not to use the artifact too
much, it makes things too easy. I was glad to have it against Hunter
#3 though.

That's funny. My brothers wife objected to DOOM 3 being on thier PC until we
pointed out he was playing the "good" guy wiping out the "evil" demons. BTW,
DOOM 1 and 2 were more fun to play.

"faster_framerates" <nothanks@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > I find the old doom games beter in everything except in graphics and
> > sound.
> >
> > The levels music gameplay is much better in the old doom game.
> > And at least you can see them ;)
>
> I am very much in the minority around here, but Doom 3 is the scariest
game
> I have played since AVP2. Of course, that may be due to the fact that I
have
> to wait until the wife goes to bed around 11:00 to play it. She had issues
> with Painkiller having a demonic slant, so I haven't even mentioned that I
> have Doom 3 installed.
>
> Having a swarm of cherubs knaw at your knees at 1:30 in the morning still
> makes my skin crawl, not to mention wondering if you'll have enough ammo
and
> health to take down a hell knight. I still have to catch my breath after
> taking on one of those behemoths! You gotta hand it to the creature
> designers -- for demons, they're very well designed and offer different
> types of gameplay. Could've used more pinky demons and less imps, IMO
> however.
>
> For me, the immersion factor is quite high, much like the original
Half-Life
> games or SS2. I highly suggest turning off all non-essential lighting and
> sticking mainly to the shotgun. What's more, it plays smoothly on my
average
> rig (AIW 9800 Pro, Audigy 2 ZS, Athlon XP 2.6 GHz, 512 MB's RAM), unlike
the
> Half-Life 2 demo, which crashes right after the G-Man's intro. All that
> trouble with Steam and then it still CTD. Ugh.
>
> Yes, I realize the enemies don't reload, but, then again, all you have to
do
> to pick up ammo and health is walk over it (as opposed to actively picking
> it up in games like SS2 or Chrome). How is that for realistic?
>
> Yes, it's too dark in many areas, but that's the point. (Hint: Map the
> flashlight to your right mouse button to switch quickly back and forth to
> your current weapon. They switch in about half a second). No lights on the
> weapons adds to the tension.
>
> Yes, it's linear and somewhat cramped, but even I have gotten lost a few
> times. And I've played over 50 FPS's.
>
> And yes, the way things jump out at you, or even behind you, might be an
> outdated gameplay style, but it fits this particular setting and horror
> genre.
>
> My 2¢,
>
> - f_f

Andrew

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:33:57 -0500, "faster_framerates"
<nothanks@nowhere.net> wrote:

>I am very much in the minority around here, but Doom 3 is the scariest game
>I have played since AVP2.

I wouldn't disagree with that, but personally I am not into games that
just set out to scare me with cheap tricks, and Doom 3 has nothing
that made Doom 1&2 fun for me.

"weretable and the undead chairs" <weretable@were.diningroom> wrote in
message news:fbs061pecogvosqrnlr3htr0fnpmnt4np9@4ax.com...
>I like the expansion for Doom 3. The grabber makes the game much more
> fun. I think I am almost to the end of it, unfortunately. If someone
> makes a mod where you can use the grabber in the original Doom 3, it
> would make it worth replaying. I try not to use the artifact too
> much, it makes things too easy. I was glad to have it against Hunter
> #3 though.

How long is it compared with the original Doom 3? I loved Doom 3, but for
some reason RoE doesn't have the same fright factor that I had with the
original. Then again, I only just bought the game and got up to the first
Hunter (really early in the game?)

"faster_framerates" <nothanks@nowhere.net> wrote:
>> Hi
>> I find the old doom games beter in everything except in graphics and
>> sound.
>>
>> The levels music gameplay is much better in the old doom game.
>> And at least you can see them ;)
>
>I am very much in the minority around here, but Doom 3 is the scariest game
>I have played since AVP2. Of course, that may be due to the fact that I have
>to wait until the wife goes to bed around 11:00 to play it. She had issues
>with Painkiller having a demonic slant, so I haven't even mentioned that I
>have Doom 3 installed.

PUSSY.

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:

>"weretable and the undead chairs" <weretable@were.diningroom> wrote in
>message news:fbs061pecogvosqrnlr3htr0fnpmnt4np9@4ax.com...
>>I like the expansion for Doom 3. The grabber makes the game much more
>> fun. I think I am almost to the end of it, unfortunately. If someone
>> makes a mod where you can use the grabber in the original Doom 3, it
>> would make it worth replaying. I try not to use the artifact too
>> much, it makes things too easy. I was glad to have it against Hunter
>> #3 though.
>
>How long is it compared with the original Doom 3? I loved Doom 3, but for
>some reason RoE doesn't have the same fright factor that I had with the
>original. Then again, I only just bought the game and got up to the first
>Hunter (really early in the game?)

I finished it last night, it is not nearly as long. But you are still
really early in the going. It is long enough that it was worth the
purchase (for me anyway).

Some of the areas midway through the game are pretty spooky,
definitely moreso than the first part where you are at.

"weretable and the undead chairs" <weretable@were.diningroom> wrote in
message news:ftb261dhts8aogv4vsgc6oe58ri2cs9pst@4ax.com...
> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>"weretable and the undead chairs" <weretable@were.diningroom> wrote in
>>message news:fbs061pecogvosqrnlr3htr0fnpmnt4np9@4ax.com...
>>>I like the expansion for Doom 3. The grabber makes the game much more
>>> fun. I think I am almost to the end of it, unfortunately. If someone
>>> makes a mod where you can use the grabber in the original Doom 3, it
>>> would make it worth replaying. I try not to use the artifact too
>>> much, it makes things too easy. I was glad to have it against Hunter
>>> #3 though.
>>
>>How long is it compared with the original Doom 3? I loved Doom 3, but for
>>some reason RoE doesn't have the same fright factor that I had with the
>>original. Then again, I only just bought the game and got up to the first
>>Hunter (really early in the game?)
>
> I finished it last night, it is not nearly as long. But you are still
> really early in the going. It is long enough that it was worth the
> purchase (for me anyway).
>
> Some of the areas midway through the game are pretty spooky,
> definitely moreso than the first part where you are at.

Alright, I take that back. I'm starting to get a little spooked already.
Even though it is repeatedly similar tactics, you can't help but be paranoid
about every corner, every door, and every object.

Hi,

Maybe I'm in the minority too. I also found it scary, skin crawling,
immersive, linear, cramped, and ultimately, boring. And I played at 60
fps with gamma turned up.

Dissolving bodies also really irked me. I realize it is a performance
issue, but I like to see the fruits of my labour.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!

flightlessvacuum@lycos.com wrote:
> Bateau wrote:
>
> > PUSSY.
>
> PLONK.

LOL, I don't think Google Groups even has killfiles.