how best to extend wireless network and network printer

hylocomputer

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Hi guys..

I just got a new-to-me multifunction printer that's "network ready" (ie, has an ethernet cable port.) I also got myself an asus wl-520gu router. For now the router has the factory installed firmware on it, but i could put tomato or ddwrt on it.

also in my house I have a linksys router already set up with a WEP encrypted wireless SSID which me and my 5 roommates share. I guess for the purpose of this post we can call that network "Kermit" and pretend it has password "ilovepiggy" This router sits on the second floor landing in our three story house. My printer and this asus is going to be in my room, which is on the first floor.

I am hoping to kill two birds with one stone, I guess.

I'd like to a) get better signal strength/speed in my room
and
b) network my printer so that I and others can print to it / scan from it wirelessly over the network.

Can I do both things? and what would that setup be like? Would it mean making the ASUS a wireless repeater? what are ideal settings for that, and .. at what point in the process and how do I add the printer?

many many thanks in advance for any insight!!

You could install dd-wrt and configure it for “repeater bridge”, thereby extending the reach of the primary wireless router. And then just plug the printer into one of its ethernet (LAN) ports, making it available to all wired and wireless users.

Btw, I have to mention it. WEP is almost as bad as no security at all. You should at least be using WPA, and preferably WPA2.

hylocomputer

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Thanks Eibgrad. Yeah, you're right re WEP.. I should change it. Well, ok.. I can do the "repeater bridge" thing, but I'm still confused about how to configure it all .. after I get DDWRT on and Repeater bridge mode set.. printer plugged in to asus.. then settings?

Can I made ssid name and pass the same for the asus? will people in the house closer to the linksys, and thus connected via the linksys, be able to access the printer? I guess it would the linksys that would give the printer an IP address, not the asus, even though it's plugged into the asus, because the asus is just a repeater? oy.. hope I'm making sense here.

thanks again

Take it in steps and it will be a LOT easier. Here’s the plan.

1. Make sure the printer is properly configured (e.g., assigned a static IP), connect it to the primary router, and verify it’s available to all wired and wireless users.

2. Install dd-wrt on the ASUS WL-520gU.

3. Configure the ASUS WL-520gU for "Client Bridge" mode. You’ll know it’s working if you can reach the internet from the desktop/laptop used to configure the bridge. There’s no point in proceeding further until it does!

4. Connect the printer to the ASUS WL-520gU over a LAN port and verify the printer is available from both sides of the bridge (wired and wireless users on the primary router, wired users on the ASUS WL-520gU).

5. Update the "Client Bridge" configuration to "Repeater Bridge". That will add a new AP (SSID) for wireless users on the bridge. Once again, verify the printer is available from both sides of the bridge (wired or wireless).