Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ASUS X79 Sabertooth Can't get to BIOS

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
February 16, 2013 12:00:58 AM

Hello,

I hope someone here can help. I did search first for my problem and came close to it but not exactly what my problem is.

I'm running Win 8, with this subject motherboard. Here is what I did. I received a USB Drive that has 2 files but came from a MAC. I plugged in the USB drive, heard the sound but it was not recognized for obvious reasons. So, not exactly knowing this, at first I searched for and installed the windows drivers for that USB drive (WD SES USB Passport).

It still was not recognized, so I rebooted. My system no longer fully boots and stops right at the ASUS screen that says "press DEL to enter BIOS". From what I can tell, it is identifying the boot drive ok because if I disconnect all drives, it says so.

No matter how many times I press DEL, it does not go in to BIOS. I've rebooted repeatedly trying to press and hold F1, DEL, F8, pressing continuously, intermittently, etc to no avail.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem and 1) Enter the BIOS and 2) Boot to Windows? From what I have read, I think this may have to do with changing the USB settings in BIOS but need help.

Thanks ahead.

Eric

February 16, 2013 1:11:51 AM

kirkeric said:
Hello,

I hope someone here can help. I did search first for my problem and came close to it but not exactly what my problem is.

I'm running Win 8, with this subject motherboard. Here is what I did. I received a USB Drive that has 2 files but came from a MAC. I plugged in the USB drive, heard the sound but it was not recognized for obvious reasons. So, not exactly knowing this, at first I searched for and installed the windows drivers for that USB drive (WD SES USB Passport).

It still was not recognized, so I rebooted. My system no longer fully boots and stops right at the ASUS screen that says "press DEL to enter BIOS". From what I can tell, it is identifying the boot drive ok because if I disconnect all drives, it says so.

No matter how many times I press DEL, it does not go in to BIOS. I've rebooted repeatedly trying to press and hold F1, DEL, F8, pressing continuously, intermittently, etc to no avail.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem and 1) Enter the BIOS and 2) Boot to Windows? From what I have read, I think this may have to do with changing the USB settings in BIOS but need help.

Thanks ahead.

Eric


You may have to clear your CMOS to get the BIOS back to factory default.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
February 16, 2013 1:35:13 AM

Have you disconnected the USB drive? If not, please do so and try to reboot your rig.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 16, 2013 11:45:33 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've unplugged every USB device to include my keyboard and used an old PS2 keyboard.

I also read a post saying that if you disconnected all of your drives, it should automatically go in to the BIOS but that was not true. All it did was say, no drives detected.

Eric

COLGeek said:
Have you disconnected the USB drive? If not, please do so and try to reboot your rig.

m
0
l
February 16, 2013 11:48:03 AM

How do I clear my CMOS? Disregard this. I found instructions to do this and will try.

Eric

jnkweaver said:
You may have to clear your CMOS to get the BIOS back to factory default.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
February 16, 2013 12:33:08 PM

Did resetting the BIOS help?
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 12:40:53 PM

Well, I can't find the jumper on the board. I've look over the entire thing and do not see it. I was investigating this flashing of BIOs. Is that also an option?

Not sure where the darn jumper is.

Eric
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 1:35:10 PM

kirkeric said:
Well, I can't find the jumper on the board. I've look over the entire thing and do not see it. I was investigating this flashing of BIOs. Is that also an option?

Not sure where the darn jumper is.

Eric


You can unplug the machine and pull the battery on the mb (small silver disc). Let it sit for 10-20 mins and that should clear it.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
February 16, 2013 1:35:24 PM

Remove all power sources (power cable from PSU, video cable, powered speakers). Press the power button to discharge any residual power in the system (seriously).

Pop the motherboard battery out of its retainer. Wait 1 minute. Reverse. these instructions.

BIOS will be reset to its default state.
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 1:46:06 PM

COL Geek - Thanks. I've removed the battery and about to put it back in. Sure hope this works. The flash thing didn't work anyway. That required downloading BIOS file, renaming it to SABERX79.ROM, placing on a USB drive - didn't work right. Might be an old USB drive.


Eric
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 1:46:31 PM

COLGeek said:
Remove all power sources (power cable from PSU, video cable, powered speakers). Press the power button to discharge any residual power in the system (seriously).

Pop the motherboard battery out of its retainer. Wait 1 minute. Reverse. these instructions.

BIOS will be reset to its default state.


^^This is how the pro's do it! In fact I rather do this than mess with the CMOS jumper.
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 1:54:36 PM

I agree, this is better than messing with a jumper. I've completed this and the verdict is - no go.
It still stops right at the screen that says "Press DEL to enter UEFI BIOS setting".

I'm not sure why installing a USB driver would cause this.

Eric



COLGeek said:
Remove all power sources (power cable from PSU, video cable, powered speakers). Press the power button to discharge any residual power in the system (seriously).

Pop the motherboard battery out of its retainer. Wait 1 minute. Reverse. these instructions.

BIOS will be reset to its default state.

m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
February 16, 2013 2:05:22 PM

Try this, perform the steps mentioned earlier to remove the battery. Except this time, leave the battery in place and remove all of your memory except one stick in slot 1. Try again.
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 2:31:35 PM

kirkeric said:
I agree, this is better than messing with a jumper. I've completed this and the verdict is - no go.
It still stops right at the screen that says "Press DEL to enter UEFI BIOS setting".

I'm not sure why installing a USB driver would cause this.

Eric


Is your keyboard working?
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 2:36:56 PM

COL Geek,

Interesting procedure but easy enough. I tried that with no luck either. To stickg1, my presumption is yes since it worked before and I replaced with a PS2 keyboard with no luck. However, having said that, in the back of my mind I've still wondered whether it is picking it up. It is a wireless USB so I was just about to run off and purchase a cheap USB one with a cord.
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 3:51:37 PM

Well, in this stunning new development, I've management to get to BIOS, allowing me to re-select the proper boot device and in to Windows. What's interesting is I really can't nail down for certain what allowed me. I did get a cheap keyboard, booted initialy with no luck. Then I said, well, let me remove the USB remote thing for my mouse and I rebooted again, while pressing F1 and DEL off and on and what do you know, BIOS came up. So, not certain if it was the keyboard, the mouse, or pure luck in the BIOS coming up with the F1/DEL (since I'v heard many stories about that).

I then plugged all USB devices back in (minus that MAC one) and other than flashing the BOS screen a couple more ties than normal, it booted in to windows.

I appreciate all of the replies and now I am back to where I started which is, how do I get a file off an external USB hard drive that came from a MAC and get it on to my windows machine. Anyone know that or shall I begin a new thread?

Thanks,
Eric
Kirk Productions
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
February 16, 2013 3:57:12 PM

The MAC drive may be formatted in their HFS file system, I think there is some tools out there mount those drives like Tranmacs.

As for the whole situation, coincidence. Installing a Windows driver wouldn't not affect the PC and BIOS since Windows is loaded way after the BIOS and has no relation to it whatsoever.
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 3:58:45 PM

Eh it's different File Systems isn't it? I'm not really sure, I'm not a Mac guy.
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 4:33:57 PM

Actually, I stumbled on this app called MacDrive 9 which does precisely what I need. I've installed it and accessed the files. Bam!

Thanks for everything.

Eric
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
February 16, 2013 8:54:59 PM

Good job! Have fun!
m
0
l
!