Pc connection slows down when ps3 connects

Tags:
  • Connectivity
  • PlayStation
  • Connection
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 31, 2012 3:54:14 AM

okay so i have the following problem, i recently build my pc from this forum =). so for some reason my pc connection either slows down by a lot or doesnt work even tho is connected. this usually happens when my bro turn his ps3 on and it automatically connected to the network and thats when it happens. but sometime its the other way around i would have connectivity and he wont, i been looking around for a solution to this but no luck yet.

im have a 35/35 dl/up, using verizon modem/router = actiontec
pc is using asus wireless adaptor pce n15
and my ps3

if 1 is off the other one works fine. also modem/router is in the living room and pc and ps3 are in the same room 5 feet away in its on desk/shelf.

More about : connection slows ps3 connects

July 31, 2012 6:57:04 PM

It sounds like there may be an IP address conflict. Check to insure that each device is automatically getting assigned IP addresses by the router DHCP service. Also check each device (computer/PS3/whatever) to see if they are automatically getting an IP address or if they are using a static address that is the same as another device.
m
l
August 1, 2012 4:39:23 AM

just checked they all are on automatic
m
l
Related resources
August 1, 2012 4:01:57 PM

Take a look in the router configuration and see what addresses they are assigned when both are on, also check to see if any QoS settings are enabled.
m
l
August 2, 2012 4:25:38 AM

Quote:
PC Name: Saad-PC
Connection Type:
Wireless
IP Address: xxx.xxx.1.2 <----- this is the only pc im using atm

PC Name: Nazirs-iPhone
Connection Type:
Wireless
IP Address: xxx.xxx.1.107

Device Name: IP-STB1
Connection Type:
Coax
IP Address: xxx.xxx.1.101
Remote Access: Enabled

Device Name: IP-STB4
Connection Type:
Coax
IP Address: xxx.xxx.1.103

PC Name: new-host
Connection Type:
Wireless
IP Address: xxx.xxx.1.4

PC Name: new-host-2
Connection Type:
Wireless
IP Address: xxx.xxx.1.5

PC Name: Saads-iPhone-2
Connection Type:
Wireless
IP Address: xxx.xxx.1.6

PC Name: new-host-3
Connection Type:
Wireless
IP Address: xxx.xxx.1.8

PC Name: Fahads-iPhone
Connection Type:
Wireless
IP Address: xxx.xxx.1.7

Device Name: IP-STB5
Connection Type:
Coax
IP Address: xxx.xxx.1.100

Device Name: IP-STB2
Connection Type:
Coax
IP Address: xxx.xxx.1.105

PC Name: new-host-4
Connection Type:
Wireless
IP Address: xxx.xxx.1.3 <---- this is the PS3

PC Name: Raads-iPhone
Connection Type:
Wireless
IP Address: xxx.xxx.1.10

Device Name: IP-STB3
Connection Type:
Coax
IP Address: xxx.xxx.1.104

Device Name: IP-STB6
Connection Type:
Coax
IP Address: xxx.xxx.1.102

PC Name: iPhone-8
Connection Type:
Wireless
IP Address: xxx.xxx.1.12

and no QoS setting are enabled
m
l
August 2, 2012 7:43:57 AM

You have a lot of wireless clients, most home routers start to have issues anywhere from 8-12 devices. It looks like that could be your issue. One solution would be another router configured as a wireless access point with a different subnet for all the phones.
m
l
August 3, 2012 5:49:37 PM

okay i do have an extra router which is a D-link that was i using before i got verizon, can guide me in how to setup to that D-link router that only all the phones n itouch connect to it?
m
l
August 5, 2012 8:04:40 PM

ok im so lost, so i connect my D-link router to my verizon main router , am i connection LAN port to LAN port? or is LAN port from the main router to internet on D-link?
m
l
August 5, 2012 9:03:45 PM

LAN to LAN.
m
l
August 10, 2012 5:21:56 AM

im so lost, i cant dont know how to access the ap router(D-link) in order to change the settings, once i connect it to lan 2 lan d-link shows up as a wireless ssid but i cant cofigure it, i tried to connect to it so i can go to the default router ip address 192.168.0.1, but it doesnt load up so i dunno what i need to do..
m
l
August 10, 2012 8:43:43 PM

Connect the D-Link with an Ethernet cable to a computer and you can access its configuration pages by typing its IP address in your browser. If you have any problems just reset it to factory defaults by depressing the rest button for 10 seconds, and then connect to its default IP via cable and configure it fully including its new IP address, which once done will make it only accessible at that address.

Once fully configured it will function as intended as a wireless AP with the desired address (that address must also be entered as a static or reserved dynamic address in your main router configuration -- the router that will control DHCP assignment (see address reservation in your main router manual for how to).
m
l