Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wired/Wireless network

Last response: in Networking
August 29, 2012 6:06:50 AM

Good day all,

I was wondering if some one to give me advise on a matter.

Problem:
I have multiple pc's connected to my network at home connected thew a hub which is used for lan and file sharing, but i also have internet.

I dont want the others to have internet.

My router is currently connected to the hub. But i have to then use static IP's so i can block them threw my router. But if a new pc is connected it has internet access until I assign it a IP in order to block him.

Question:
Will it work if I remove the connection between the router and the hub, so hub has no internet, and have my pc connected (wired in MB) to the hub and add a wireless add in card to my pc and then connect the the router (wireless) so i can have internet access. So i don't have to worry about new pc's connecting to the hub that i have to block every time.

Will this setup work or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks in advance.

More about : wired wireless network

Best solution

August 29, 2012 6:04:27 PM

It is very complex to get a PC to work properly with 2 network connections. You would have to make sure you used different subnets on each. You would also lose the ability of the router to give IP to the PC on the hub. You would have to run all static.

If your fear is not hackers then you could just use a non standard configuration. Your gateway IP is generally .1 assigned to the router but it can be any address in the subnet. You can in many routers configure the DHCP to give out .1 as the gateway even though it is really something else. You would then manually put the actual gateway in the machines that were allowed. Not real good security but anyone who did not know the gateway would have to try them until they got one that works.
August 30, 2012 6:16:23 AM

Thanks bill001g, will try it and let know if it worked.
m
l
Related resources
August 30, 2012 8:09:58 AM

Many routers have a security function or "schedule" probably under Security Settings that allows access to certain IPs at certain times of the day, or posibly not at all. This type of functionallity is common on routers as are content filters to protect young users from accessing improper sites.
Check you router configuration for that type of setting and if it is available I think it will do the job for you. If solving this problem is very important to you then you could always spend a few bucks on a new router that will do the job.

What router are you currently using?
m
l
September 6, 2012 12:04:36 PM

Best answer selected by Frifi.
m
l
September 6, 2012 12:04:59 PM

ngrego said:
Many routers have a security function or "schedule" probably under Security Settings that allows access to certain IPs at certain times of the day, or posibly not at all. This type of functionallity is common on routers as are content filters to protect young users from accessing improper sites.
Check you router configuration for that type of setting and if it is available I think it will do the job for you. If solving this problem is very important to you then you could always spend a few bucks on a new router that will do the job.

What router are you currently using?

Yes it has that security setting, it's called 'client ip filter' on my router. I was using it trough that all this time, but if new computer connected i had to manually change that pc's it before he was blocked.

But no worries, thanks for all your help.

I managed to get two separate networks running on one pc, without it messing up something else. My network on the hud now has no internet access, while only my pc has internet access through the wireless pci card.
m
l
!