Is the Geforce 6600GT the best AGP card for under $200?

I have an Athlon 2400 with 512 PC400 DDR ram. Budget is tight and I
want to upgrade just so I could play Doom3 and those new 3D games. Is
the Geforce 6600GT AGP the best choice for my needs?
9 answers Last reply
More about geforce 6600gt card

    On 15 Apr 2005 23:41:24 -0700, "Riddick" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I have an Athlon 2400 with 512 PC400 DDR ram. Budget is tight and I
    >want to upgrade just so I could play Doom3 and those new 3D games. Is
    >the Geforce 6600GT AGP the best choice for my needs?

    I'm pleased with my 6600GT/AGP. It pretty much doubled my framerate
    from my old 5900XT (which, admittedly, wasn't the best of cards, but
    still...). Doom3 runs at >60FPS for me now, and I got out of
    single-digit hell for the 3DMark03 benchmark. Just avoid the PNY
    Verto; it runs very hot, and it's not even overclocked (although it's
    hard to tell, since they've disabled the thermal sensor in the BIOS).

    I replaced mine with a BFG 6600GT/AGP, which -although it comes from
    the store overclocked- runs much, much cooler. I don't know if it's
    the best 6600GT/AGP out there, but it's definitely better than the
    Verto (besides, you gotta love a company that calls itself "BFG" :)

    My machine is an AMD 3000XP Barton with 1024MB DDR RAM. It's still a
    capable machine, but I think that now it's the CPU (and other
    "back-end" components, like RAM and the bus) that are limiting my
    potential framerates; I'm not sure that -were I to get a faster video
    card- I'd see much of an improvement.

    Same here AMD 2ghz CPu 1 ig ram. And a 6600 GT Leadtek :)

    Very happy chappy runs everything FAST FAST FAST and thats at
    1024by768 with AA 4 AF 8 BItching.

    Its the best Bang for Buck card you can buy.

    /PS my version is the AGP version. That costs more but it still is
    great value for money.

    Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

    > Just avoid the PNY
    > Verto; it runs very hot, and it's not even overclocked (although it's
    > hard to tell, since they've disabled the thermal sensor in the BIOS).

    Can't tell for the AGP version but my PCIe Verto 6600GT runs cool, and also
    the thermal sensor and the fan control are working fine...

    Maybe You just got a lemon?

    Benjamin

    The PNY Verto I bought the first time 'round had a SERIOUS heat problem.
    Fans were plugged in and running, but not doing the job - maybe the heat
    sink got separated from the chip? I could unfreeze a locked-up screen
    during 3DMark testing by hitting it with a burst of compressed air.

    Took THAT one back and got another.

    This one seems to work okay, but again, the card's BIOS has the heat
    sensor disabled. There IS a work-around that lets you enable it, check
    out NVidia's forums.

    M.O.
    http://www.playmaille.com
    http://www.madocowain.com

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:30:23 +0200, "Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de>
    wrote:

    >Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

    >> Just avoid the PNY
    >> Verto; it runs very hot, and it's not even overclocked (although it's
    >> hard to tell, since they've disabled the thermal sensor in the BIOS).

    >Can't tell for the AGP version but my PCIe Verto 6600GT runs cool, and also
    >the thermal sensor and the fan control are working fine...

    >Maybe You just got a lemon?

    Well, I don't know if its running hot was that unusual; it *could* be
    that the fan or thermal paste wasn't properly fixed to the GPU.
    However, online reviews indicate that their PNYs ran hot too, so more
    likely it's just poorly designed cooling. The PCI-E Verto probably has
    a better fan/heatsink, as it is considered a (slightly) higher-end
    card than its AGP equivilant.

    However, PNY's Verto 6600GT AGP definitely has had its thermal sensor
    disabled in BIOS, as confirmed by an email from PNY themselves. Other
    brands -but not all- of the AGP 6600GTs have also had their thermal
    sensors disabled. Fortunately, there is a hack to get it working
    again; it has been theorised that the sensor was disabled by the
    companies to discourage overclocking.

    However, there is at least *one* PNY Verto has its thermal sensor
    working, since I hacked mine to gauge how hot it was running. When I
    saw it was peaking 140C while playing Doom3, I took it back

    (I told the nice store clerk about it too, in case they wanted to
    challenge me for returning damaged equipment. Fortunately, all she
    cared about was that all the bits and bobs were in the box, so I was
    able to return it with no problem. But if you're in the NY area and
    you get a PNY Verto 6600GT AGP with a working thermal sensor, you have
    me to thank :-)

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:15:00 -0500, Madoc Owain
    <nospam@madocowain.com> wrote:

    >The PNY Verto I bought the first time 'round had a SERIOUS heat problem.
    >Fans were plugged in and running, but not doing the job - maybe the heat
    >sink got separated from the chip? I could unfreeze a locked-up screen
    >during 3DMark testing by hitting it with a burst of compressed air.
    >
    >Took THAT one back and got another.
    >
    >This one seems to work okay, but again, the card's BIOS has the heat
    >sensor disabled. There IS a work-around that lets you enable it, check
    >out NVidia's forums.

    PNY is not on MY list of recommended vendors of nVidia GPU cards.
    Want a RMA ? ---- take the slow boat to China.... literally. And it
    might just sink without trace in a typhoon....

    Highly recommend that anybody that purchases an expensive PNY
    card also purchase a no-questions-asked-immediate-replacement
    extended third-party warranty ( such as the CompUSA one ).

    John Lewis

    >M.O.
    >http://www.playmaille.com
    >http://www.madocowain.com
    >

    >Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    >> Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
    >>

    >>>Just avoid the PNY
    >>>Verto; it runs very hot, and it's not even overclocked (although it's
    >>>hard to tell, since they've disabled the thermal sensor in the BIOS).
    >>

    >> Can't tell for the AGP version but my PCIe Verto 6600GT runs cool, and also
    >> the thermal sensor and the fan control are working fine...
    >>
    >> Maybe You just got a lemon?
    >>
    >> Benjamin

    140 degrees celsius? Damn that's hot. I don't think there are any CPU's that
    will survive @ that temp. I'm assuming this temp destroyed your vid-card?

    --
    Remove nospam to email
    "Spalls Hurgenson" <yoinks@ebalu.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:30:23 +0200, "Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de>
    > wrote:
    >
    > However, there is at least *one* PNY Verto has its thermal sensor
    > working, since I hacked mine to gauge how hot it was running. When I
    > saw it was peaking 140C while playing Doom3, I took it back
    >
    > (I told the nice store clerk about it too, in case they wanted to
    > challenge me for returning damaged equipment. Fortunately, all she
    > cared about was that all the bits and bobs were in the box, so I was
    > able to return it with no problem. But if you're in the NY area and
    > you get a PNY Verto 6600GT AGP with a working thermal sensor, you have
    > me to thank :-)

    Get a Leadtek never gos above 60c, and most of the time 40c. Also very
    very quiet.

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:07:44 -0700, "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net>
    wrote:

    >140 degrees celsius? Damn that's hot. I don't think there are any CPU's that
    >will survive @ that temp. I'm assuming this temp destroyed your vid-card?

    Erm, sorry; it was 120C, not 140C. Still plenty hot. And yes, it
    survived (and ran) just fine. It's not recommended that you run your
    chips at those temperature for long periods of time, but they won't
    (shouldn't) go belly-up from a few hours at those heats. It will
    reduce the lifespan of your card, though, and high temperatures can
    cause errors leading to BSODs and errors in games. Plus, summer's
    coming up, and with the increased ambient temperatures I expected the
    chip-temp to go up by ten or twenty degrees.

    One of the things that annoyed me about not having a functional
    thermal sensor was that without one the card couldn't throttle itself
    if it started getting too hot (it automatically reduces the GPU's
    clockspeed and the memory's data rate when certain temperatures are
    exceeded).

    This is not just a feature useful only to overclockers; it also helps
    protect the card from itself. When the heat sink fan failed on my
    nvidia GF5900, the card intelligently throttled down. Fortunately, all
    that had happened was that the auxillary power connected was loose, so
    it was an easy fix, but had the card not throttled itself, who knew
    how hot it would have gotten? Of the many fans in my computers, the
    most likely to fail have always been those on video-cards. With
    graphic cards running hotter with every generation, it's almost a
    crime to disable a feature like this.

PC gaming Games Geforce Video Games