Sign in with
Your question

How to connect two different routers together

Last response: in Networking
August 29, 2012 9:04:30 AM

Hello,
my company has a cisco router which i do not know the password the cisco router has internet connection and this connection allow only sx computers with static ip to connect to internet the range of those ips (
216.147.155.90 -
216.147.155.94)
the defualt gateway of my company router is
subnet mask is 255.255.255.248
so it is from class C,
my and my friends brought a Tplink wirlessrouter and we are trying to connect it to internet but what i know is all of the ips (the range of the ips of my company router is used by others) how can I connect my router to my company router?????

More about : connect routers

Anonymous
August 29, 2012 10:22:56 AM

Firstly - why do you not know the password to the Cisco?
m
l
August 29, 2012 10:33:12 AM

cuase I am not the admin of the cisco router
m
l
Related resources
August 29, 2012 10:34:19 AM

Quote:
Firstly - why do you not know the password to the Cisco?

cuase I am not the admin of the cisco router
m
l
Anonymous
August 29, 2012 10:55:40 AM

Sorry, can't help you then.
m
l
August 29, 2012 11:01:13 AM

Quote:
Sorry, can't help you then.

thak you
but y question do you think there will be a way???
m
l
August 29, 2012 3:28:36 PM

If all six ip are in use there is nothing you can do.

Your only option is to take one of those IP away from another device and assign it to your new router. You would then have to find a way to make the device work behind your new router on a NAT ip address.
m
l
August 30, 2012 12:45:04 AM

bill001g said:
If all six ip are in use there is nothing you can do.

Your only option is to take one of those IP away from another device and assign it to your new router. You would then have to find a way to make the device work behind your new router on a NAT ip address.

:sarcastic:  thank you very much for your help.
m
l
September 1, 2012 1:31:36 PM

How are the computers and the Cisco router connected to the Internet? Is a switch connected to the modem (or whatver your Internet link is)?
m
l
September 2, 2012 11:21:00 AM

GhislainG said:
How are the computers and the Cisco router connected to the Internet? Is a switch connected to the modem (or whatver your Internet link is)?

ther is a big dish to receve internet this dish is connected to device and the device is connectd to a cisco router, this router gives the ability to connect a six static ip addresses becouse the subnet mask is 255.255.255.248
and the story is above. thank you for your attention can you help???
m
l
September 2, 2012 11:23:36 AM

by the way there is a DNS IP which is 207.241.160.3
and alternative DNS which is 207.241.160.34
m
l
September 2, 2012 11:48:25 AM

The solution suggested by bill001g is the only one. Disconnect one system from the Cisco router, connect the wireless router and assign the same IP address, e.g., 216.147.155.94, to its Internet port. Then configure DHCP on the wireless router (start the range at 10 or higher, add the DNS addresses, the gateway IP address, etc.) Finally reconfigure the system that was disconnected from the Cisco router to either use DHCP or change the the static IP address to one in the range that's not included in the wireless DHCP range, e.g., 192.168.1.2. As you can see, it's relatively simple.
m
l
September 2, 2012 12:38:05 PM

GhislainG said:
The solution suggested by bill001g is the only one. Disconnect one system from the Cisco router, connect the wireless router and assign the same IP address, e.g., 216.147.155.94, to its Internet port. Then configure DHCP on the wireless router (start the range at 10 or higher, add the DNS addresses, the gateway IP address, etc.) Finally reconfigure the system that was disconnected from the Cisco router to either use DHCP or change the the static IP address to one in the range that's not included in the wireless DHCP range, e.g., 192.168.1.2. As you can see, it's relatively simple.

than k you bt I m thinking about connecting my wireless router to the device that connected to the dish cuase it has four ports but do not know what kid of device i that it is may be a device to comple frm satilite signal to computer or router signal wat do you think
m
l
September 2, 2012 2:08:42 PM

I honestly don't know as I never had satellite Internet. The device may have 4 ports, but that doesn't imply that additional IP addresses are available. The Cisco router may have been added for security, VPN connections to other offices, etc. Why don't you contact the ISP and ask them to provide details about the installation? Since you don't know the password, does the Cisco router belong to the ISP? I definitely can't recommend bypassing the Cisco router unless you are authorized to do so.
m
l
September 3, 2012 9:57:05 AM

GhislainG said:
I honestly don't know as I never had satellite Internet. The device may have 4 ports, but that doesn't imply that additional IP addresses are available. The Cisco router may have been added for security, VPN connections to other offices, etc. Why don't you contact the ISP and ask them to provide details about the installation? Since you don't know the password, does the Cisco router belong to the ISP? I definitely can't recommend bypassing the Cisco router unless you are authorized to do so.

hank you very much for your response but actualy I am in sudan darfur very far erae in medil of africar working for a company and I have no connection with the ISP and I could not call my family in medill east unless use skpe, so I a realy in need to have internet connection to my laptop through my wireless router, all mobile networks here aredown befor 3 monthes and bile companies can not fix it due to the very heavyrain season.
sorry for bothering you by my story.
m
l
September 3, 2012 11:48:21 AM

As suggested above, the only solution is to connect your wireless router where one system is already connected, set DHCP, etc. Why can't you connect you laptop directly to the Cisco switch? All you have to do is configure a static IP address (it has to be the IP address of the system that you'll temporarily disconnect from the router), disconnect a system and connect your laptop to the Cisco switch.
m
l
September 4, 2012 7:42:42 PM

GhislainG said:
As suggested above, the only solution is to connect your wireless router where one system is already connected, set DHCP, etc. Why can't you connect you laptop directly to the Cisco switch? All you have to do is configure a static IP address (it has to be the IP address of the system that you'll temporarily disconnect from the router), disconnect a system and connect your laptop to the Cisco switch.

when I connect my laptop directly to the cisco router with dynamic I enabled on my connection setting a yallow triangl shows up so cisco router is no congured as dhcp it will not offer any ip.

thank you for your help
m
l
September 4, 2012 10:45:18 PM

A Cisco router is not a DHCP server; otherwise the six systems would not require static IP addresses.

You need to configure a static IP address (the one assigned to the system that you'll temporarily disconnect while using your laptop) and set other configuration parameters like the DNS and the default gateway that you already listed in a previous post. Then your laptop will behave just like the system that you disconnected from the router.
m
l
September 11, 2012 12:58:09 PM

GhislainG said:
A Cisco router is not a DHCP server; otherwise the six systems would not require static IP addresses.

You need to configure a static IP address (the one assigned to the system that you'll temporarily disconnect while using your laptop) and set other configuration parameters like the DNS and the default gateway that you already listed in a previous post. Then your laptop will behave just like the system that you disconnected from the router.

you mean set the static IP for my laptop???? and DNS AND others for my laptop also??? while disconnecting other computer which suppused to have the same IP I am using then connect my laptop to my wirless router am I right???
m
l
September 11, 2012 7:55:52 PM

emad975 said:
you mean set the static IP for my laptop???? and DNS AND others for my laptop also??? while disconnecting other computer which suppused to have the same IP I am using then connect my laptop to my wirless router am I right???

You're wrong, but you may use a different configuration if it's easier.

In my previous reply, I presumed that you'd use the Ethernet cable currently connected to the system that will be temporarily disconnected. If you use that solution, then my advice is correct.

If you want to use your wireless router, then assign the static IP address to it's Internet port and configure the DHCP to provide the correct DNS and default gateway. It really is up to you; using the wireless router means that you don't have to reconfigure the laptop. Can you use your laptop anywhere else? Will the wireless router be dedicated to that connection?
m
l
September 13, 2012 2:24:46 AM

GhislainG said:
You're wrong, but you may use a different configuration if it's easier.

In my previous reply, I presumed that you'd use the Ethernet cable currently connected to the system that will be temporarily disconnected. If you use that solution, then my advice is correct.

If you want to use your wireless router, then assign the static IP address to it's Internet port and configure the DHCP to provide the correct DNS and default gateway. It really is up to you; using the wireless router means that you don't have to reconfigure the laptop. Can you use your laptop anywhere else? Will the wireless router be dedicated to that connection?

thak you for ur help but the problem is that the cisco router has the subnet mask of 255.255.255.248 and this allow only for six IPS to be used and all of them are used so I cant use one of them
m
l
September 13, 2012 3:07:27 AM

emad975 said:
thak you for ur help but the problem is that the cisco router has the subnet mask of 255.255.255.248 and this allow only for six IPS to be used and all of them are used so I cant use one of them

Sure you can use one of them. You need to disconnect a system and use the same IP address either temporarily or permanently. As an example, if you disconnect the system having IP address 216.147.155.94, then assign that IP address to the wireless router (your preferred solution). You could also reconfigure the system that was disconnected from the Cisco router to access the Internet through the wireless router (don't use that solution if the system needs access to other systems on the internal network). Do you have access to an IT person who could reconfigure the wireless router and the system (presuming that you're authorized to modify the network layout)?
m
l
September 13, 2012 10:08:40 AM

GhislainG said:
Sure you can use one of them. You need to disconnect a system and use the same IP address either temporarily or permanently. As an example, if you disconnect the system having IP address 216.147.155.94, then assign that IP address to the wireless router (your preferred solution). You could also reconfigure the system that was disconnected from the Cisco router to access the Internet through the wireless router (don't use that solution if the system needs access to other systems on the internal network). Do you have access to an IT person who could reconfigure the wireless router and the system (presuming that you're authorized to modify the network layout)?

exactly, the outher computers has lotus and other systems working throgh cisco routers, and if I connect them to my wirless router they will not work with the systems so I want to leave them connected to the cisco router with no annoying, computer persons are not helpful her it will mix there work up if the reconfigure the cisco router so absulotly they refuse to do so.
I can configure the wirless router my self but I when I give it one IP from the six IPS while disconnect one of the six computers it works fine with no problems but if one of the commputers connect and take the same IP it will make conflect and that will make IT people mad of me and they may disconnect me from cisco router, this is the case what do you think???
m
l
September 13, 2012 12:01:42 PM

Do the systems have a static or a dynamic IP address? I really doubt DHCP would be enabled in an environment of only 6 systems and a Cisco router. If they use static IP addresses, then you're fine. If they use dynamic IP addresses, then it may become an issue because you'll have to relase the IP address from the system to make it available for the wireless router (it should then be configured to get a dynamic IP address). Another issue is that the wireless router probably doesn't have an option to release the IP address and the system may have difficulties getting an IP address if none are available.
m
l
September 14, 2012 11:40:40 PM

GhislainG said:
Do the systems have a static or a dynamic IP address? I really doubt DHCP would be enabled in an environment of only 6 systems and a Cisco router. If they use static IP addresses, then you're fine. If they use dynamic IP addresses, then it may become an issue because you'll have to relase the IP address from the system to make it available for the wireless router (it should then be configured to get a dynamic IP address). Another issue is that the wireless router probably doesn't have an option to release the IP address and the system may have difficulties getting an IP address if none are available.

the cisco router is not configured to offer Ips the Ips in the computers are static so every person of the six persons has his own IP and he does not want to share it with others I mean I could not use his IP unless he is not useing his computer so the IPs are static not dynamic
m
l
September 15, 2012 3:48:31 AM

That's what I expected; you'll have to use the IP address of a system that isn't being used.
m
l
September 15, 2012 8:19:13 AM

GhislainG said:
That's what I expected; you'll have to use the IP address of a system that isn't being used.

No free ip all of them are used so I have to wait until one of persons get out of his office and use his IP
m
l
September 15, 2012 12:25:00 PM

It may not be ideal, but it's free. I presume that you're not getting Internet access at your place from the same provider because that would be very expensive (dish, router, etc.)?
m
l
!