Status
Not open for further replies.

I recently posted here asking for Neumann U87 alternatives. I rented a
U87, and it sounded stellar with my Grace 101. I can't afford a U87,
but got a bargain on a Rode K2. It sounds great! Any comments about
the K2?

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 03:47:07 -0400, bayydogg wrote
(in article <2bd18a8f.0408232347.4aae7671@posting.google.com>):

> I recently posted here asking for Neumann U87 alternatives. I rented a
> U87, and it sounded stellar with my Grace 101. I can't afford a U87,
> but got a bargain on a Rode K2. It sounds great! Any comments about
> the K2?

AS I have posted before, the K2 is a significant step forward for Rode. They
smoothed out the peak they normally have had. Very nice.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<CvWdnQlnna3qa7bcRVn-vA@comcast.com>...
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 03:47:07 -0400, bayydogg wrote
> (in article <2bd18a8f.0408232347.4aae7671@posting.google.com>):
>
> > I recently posted here asking for Neumann U87 alternatives. I rented a
> > U87, and it sounded stellar with my Grace 101. I can't afford a U87,
> > but got a bargain on a Rode K2. It sounds great! Any comments about
> > the K2?
>
> AS I have posted before, the K2 is a significant step forward for Rode. They
> smoothed out the peak they normally have had. Very nice.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ty Ford

Ty, I'm considering a K2 in the future. When you say the peak has been
smoothed out (The peak I can clearly hear in my NT1s), do you mean the
peak has broadened and become more pleasant/euphonic, or do you mean
it has shrunk/gone away? Or perhaps moved to a different freq. range?
What other mic would you compare the K2 to soundwise?

Thanks,

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
This sig is haiku

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 03:38:27 -0400, Mikey wrote
(in article <526517d0.0408242338.21148be3@posting.google.com>):

> Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 03:47:07 -0400, bayydogg wrote
>> (in article <2bd18a8f.0408232347.4aae7671@posting.google.com>):
>>
>>> I recently posted here asking for Neumann U87 alternatives. I rented a
>>> U87, and it sounded stellar with my Grace 101. I can't afford a U87,
>>> but got a bargain on a Rode K2. It sounds great! Any comments about
>>> the K2?
>>
>> AS I have posted before, the K2 is a significant step forward for Rode.
>> They
>> smoothed out the peak they normally have had. Very nice.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ty Ford
>
> Ty, I'm considering a K2 in the future. When you say the peak has been
> smoothed out (The peak I can clearly hear in my NT1s), do you mean the
> peak has broadened and become more pleasant/euphonic, or do you mean
> it has shrunk/gone away? Or perhaps moved to a different freq. range?
> What other mic would you compare the K2 to soundwise?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mikey Wozniak
> Nova Music Productions
> This sig is haiku

Hi Mike,

You get to spank me. I was thinking about the NT2000. Its frequency center is
still up around 11kHz. In omni the book shows it at +5 with a +4 in cardioid,
but it sounded a bit smoother on top.

I think there might have been some other considerations than pure the peak
that make a difference. Give it a listen and concentrate on the peak area.
Obviously, different preamps will also color the sound.

Sorry for any confusion.

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<4oadndCfjaXGDLHcRVn-vw@comcast.com>...

> > Ty, I'm considering a K2 in the future. When you say the peak has been
> > smoothed out (The peak I can clearly hear in my NT1s), do you mean the
> > peak has broadened and become more pleasant/euphonic, or do you mean
> > it has shrunk/gone away? Or perhaps moved to a different freq. range?
> > What other mic would you compare the K2 to soundwise?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mikey Wozniak
> > Nova Music Productions
> > This sig is haiku
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> You get to spank me.

Only if I don't have to pay. :)

>I was thinking about the NT2000. Its frequency center is
> still up around 11kHz. In omni the book shows it at +5 with a +4 in cardioid,
> but it sounded a bit smoother on top.
>
> I think there might have been some other considerations than pure the peak
> that make a difference. Give it a listen and concentrate on the peak area.
> Obviously, different preamps will also color the sound.
>
> Sorry for any confusion.

Ty,
IIRC, the K2 is a tube version of the NT2000, so the sound should be
quite similar. The NT1s do sound peaky around 10-11k to me, so maybe
capsule/electronics improvements have mellowed the peak a bit. If it's
broader, that could sound quite good. Anyone else using a K2? What are
the closest-sounding other mics (tube or otherwise)?

Thanks again,

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
This sig is haiku

It's getting kinky here..."whip me, beat me, make some feedback..." just kidding.
Thanks for sharing this info Ty.

Audy O

"Mikey" <novamusic@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > You get to spank me.
>
> Only if I don't have to pay. :)

"Ty Ford, a good spank... for the price."
--

Neil Henderson
Saqqara Records

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:31:22 -0400, Mikey wrote
(in article <526517d0.0408251031.754baea6@posting.google.com>):

> Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net> wrote in message
>

>>> Ty, I'm considering a K2 in the future. When you say the peak has been
>>> smoothed out (The peak I can clearly hear in my NT1s), do you mean the
>>> peak has broadened and become more pleasant/euphonic, or do you mean
>>> it has shrunk/gone away? Or perhaps moved to a different freq. range?
>>> What other mic would you compare the K2 to soundwise?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Mikey Wozniak
>>> Nova Music Productions
>>> This sig is haiku
>>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> You get to spank me.
>
> Only if I don't have to pay. :)
>
>> I was thinking about the NT2000. Its frequency center is
>> still up around 11kHz. In omni the book shows it at +5 with a +4 in
>> cardioid,
>> but it sounded a bit smoother on top.
>>
>> I think there might have been some other considerations than pure the peak
>> that make a difference. Give it a listen and concentrate on the peak area.
>> Obviously, different preamps will also color the sound.
>>
>> Sorry for any confusion.
>>

> Ty,
> IIRC, the K2 is a tube version of the NT2000, so the sound should be
> quite similar. The NT1s do sound peaky around 10-11k to me, so maybe
> capsule/electronics improvements have mellowed the peak a bit. If it's
> broader, that could sound quite good. Anyone else using a K2? What are
> the closest-sounding other mics (tube or otherwise)?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Mikey Wozniak

Mike,

They are, but they don't sound the same. The NT2000 is not as peaky. I did
have both here at the same time.

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:32:48 -0400, neil.henderson@sbcglobal.netNOSPAM wrote
(in article <QcaXc.5319$%86.2631@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>):

> "Mikey" <novamusic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>> You get to spank me.
>>
>> Only if I don't have to pay. :)
>
> "Ty Ford, a good spank... for the price."
> --
>

> Neil Henderson
> Saqqara Records
> http://www.saqqararecords.com