Not able to access internet but able to ping

prasun

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Hello,
After I connect to the internet using wireless router, I am able to access websites but after sometime the browser is not able to access any websites.
I am still able to ping any website.
The problem resolves once I restart my PC. I am using Windows 7
Can someone help with this issue.

Thanks

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
What antivirus are you using? Symantec (Norton) has a "feature" that will detect an "attack" and disable your ability to browse the internet. A restart fixes it... but also restarting the service under computer management fixes the issue too.

Symantec sucks, if your using it... Uninstall immediately and install www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

kyzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
If you can ping a website name - eg ping www.google.com as opposed to just pinging an IP address then it shouldn't be DNS.

Might be a port issue - can you see any https: sites that you know of? They use a different port (443) to normal http traffic (80).

If it is a port-blocking issue, I'd look at Symantec if you have it, failing that it could be all sorts of things. What does your browser say when it stops working? Oh and try a different browser - I've had occasions where FF will work when IE has been infected for example.

Kyz

jesman1985

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
i just went thru this problem with my at@t.. it does come up as dnserror when connected but cant connect to a website.. your going to have to call your local service provider and get your modems ip address then goto your modem settings.. usually you'll have to restart your modem then enter your info all in again.. after dealing with this issue for about a month they finally had to end up lowering my Mbps but in doing this it raised my ping greatly.. call your local service provider and get that ip address.. trust me.. just went thru this.. o ya i also have win7.. same exact problem.. goto your cmd promp and type ipconfig .. if your ipv4 and your default gateway start with different #s or are not identical except for the last 3.. more than likely this is the problem..

prasun

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I don't have Symantec, I am using AVG and Avast and the problem isn't solved even when I stop the antivirus. I am able to ping by url so I don't think its an issue with dns. When I face this issue I am unable to even access the router's setting page.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
it's going to be a port 80 and 443 block that's intentional. I would try the windows defender and firewall as well. Also when it happens, look through your services in computer management and look to see if there are any that are stopped but set to automatic.

samkrish

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
I had similar issue in my desktop, I was able to connect to wifi but not to any website.
Step 1: Make sure you are able to ping 'yahoo.com' or gmail.com in command prompt.
Step 2: If you are able to ping then disable newly installed Anti-virus or Firewall.
I installed Avast anti-virus, in that 'web shield' was blocking all the browses.