List of games that do not work in Win XP and HT mode

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Now that we are on the verge of dual-processor introductions, it might
be nice to compile a list of games with problems when Intel HT mode is
enabled in Win XP, but are perfectly OK when HT is disabled.

Hopefully, the dual-processor BIOSs will have the option of dropping
to single-processor ( plus non-HT for Intel Extreme ) to cope with
"legacy" software with any dual-processor/HT problems.

Here is my intial contribution:-

Arx Fatalis: latest patches --- game does not start.
AvP2 (and probably AvP2:primal Hunt), latest patches - fails to
properly load some levels, with a blank screen and
frozen controls - reboot.

John Lewis

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

<snip>

> Here is my intial contribution:-
>
> Arx Fatalis: latest patches --- game does not start.
> AvP2 (and probably AvP2:primal Hunt), latest patches - fails to
> properly load some levels, with a blank screen and
> frozen controls - reboot.
>
> John Lewis

Once I got my P4 2.8GHz Northwood C processor, I found that Thief and Thief
2 would crash (completely lockup) during gameplay, usually within a couple
of minutes. Too bad since I was close to finishing the first game when I
made my upgrade. I'll probably play them on the old PIII-933 that I have
hanging around downstairs.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

> Now that we are on the verge of dual-processor introductions, it might
> be nice to compile a list of games with problems when Intel HT mode is
> enabled in Win XP, but are perfectly OK when HT is disabled.
>
> Hopefully, the dual-processor BIOSs will have the option of dropping
> to single-processor ( plus non-HT for Intel Extreme ) to cope with
> "legacy" software with any dual-processor/HT problems.
>
> Here is my intial contribution:-
>
> Arx Fatalis: latest patches --- game does not start.
> AvP2 (and probably AvP2:primal Hunt), latest patches - fails to
> properly load some levels, with a blank screen and
> frozen controls - reboot.
>
> John Lewis

Thief 1 & 2 don't like HT.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Command and Conquer Generals also

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> "John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > Here is my intial contribution:-
> >
> > Arx Fatalis: latest patches --- game does not start.
> > AvP2 (and probably AvP2:primal Hunt), latest patches - fails to
> > properly load some levels, with a blank screen and
> > frozen controls - reboot.
> >
> > John Lewis
> >

> Once I got my P4 2.8GHz Northwood C processor, I found that Thief and
Thief
> 2 would crash (completely lockup) during gameplay, usually within a couple
> of minutes. Too bad since I was close to finishing the first game when I
> made my upgrade. I'll probably play them on the old PIII-933 that I have
> hanging around downstairs.

This will show you how to play T1 & T2 on a processor with HT.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031#hyperthread

"bioderm" <shavolsky@ladavisky.com> wrote in message

> This will show you how to play T1 & T2 on a processor with HT.
>
> http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031#hyperthread

Thanks for pointing that out. I went to the link and then another link, and
copied the text to a file which I now have saved on my hard drive! It would
be nice to finish these games on my main computer and this should make it
possible.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Another is Panzer Elite, it runs too fast and is unplayable, I don't
remember what the fix was...

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

> Now that we are on the verge of dual-processor introductions, it might
> be nice to compile a list of games with problems when Intel HT mode is
> enabled in Win XP, but are perfectly OK when HT is disabled.
>
> Hopefully, the dual-processor BIOSs will have the option of dropping
> to single-processor ( plus non-HT for Intel Extreme ) to cope with
> "legacy" software with any dual-processor/HT problems.
>
> Here is my intial contribution:-
>
> Arx Fatalis: latest patches --- game does not start.
> AvP2 (and probably AvP2:primal Hunt), latest patches - fails to
> properly load some levels, with a blank screen and
> frozen controls - reboot.
>
> John Lewis

Are you sure about that? I have AVP2 and PH, and have played both to
completion on a machine with an HT processor.

Access

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

> Now that we are on the verge of dual-processor introductions, it might
> be nice to compile a list of games with problems when Intel HT mode is
> enabled in Win XP, but are perfectly OK when HT is disabled.
>
> Hopefully, the dual-processor BIOSs will have the option of dropping
> to single-processor ( plus non-HT for Intel Extreme ) to cope with
> "legacy" software with any dual-processor/HT problems.
>
> Here is my intial contribution:-
>
> Arx Fatalis: latest patches --- game does not start.
> AvP2 (and probably AvP2:primal Hunt), latest patches - fails to
> properly load some levels, with a blank screen and
> frozen controls - reboot.
>
> John Lewis

The first Syberia is unplayable with HT, but there's a Microids patch which
fixes this problem.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

I would like some clarification on all of this. I just ordered an HP
computer with 3.2 gig P4. It says it does hyperthreading but obviously
is not doing dual processing.

What exacting is hyperthreading? Does it only affect dual processors?

Is all of this likely to affect my new computer?

Thnaks.

john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:
>Now that we are on the verge of dual-processor introductions, it might
>be nice to compile a list of games with problems when Intel HT mode is
>enabled in Win XP, but are perfectly OK when HT is disabled.
>
>Hopefully, the dual-processor BIOSs will have the option of dropping
>to single-processor ( plus non-HT for Intel Extreme ) to cope with
>"legacy" software with any dual-processor/HT problems.
>
>Here is my intial contribution:-
>
>Arx Fatalis: latest patches --- game does not start.
>AvP2 (and probably AvP2:primal Hunt), latest patches - fails to
> properly load some levels, with a blank screen and
> frozen controls - reboot.

Try ntcompatible.com

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:54:19 -0400, "REH" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote:

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Now that we are on the verge of dual-processor introductions, it might
>> be nice to compile a list of games with problems when Intel HT mode is
>> enabled in Win XP, but are perfectly OK when HT is disabled.
>>
>> Hopefully, the dual-processor BIOSs will have the option of dropping
>> to single-processor ( plus non-HT for Intel Extreme ) to cope with
>> "legacy" software with any dual-processor/HT problems.
>>
>> Here is my intial contribution:-
>>
>> Arx Fatalis: latest patches --- game does not start.
>> AvP2 (and probably AvP2:primal Hunt), latest patches - fails to
>> properly load some levels, with a blank screen and
>> frozen controls - reboot.
>>
>> John Lewis
>>

>Are you sure about that? I have AVP2 and PH, and have played both to
>completion on a machine with an HT processor.

AvP: Indeed I am ...by double testing.... It fails to load only
certain levels... there could be some thread/race problems which
makes it flaky/marginal in HT mode... I am using a 3.2Ghz Prescott.
Very latest XP updates, except no SP2.

( BTW, HT mode works flawlessly otherwise on pro-software and many
other games. I use it regularly with Adobe Premiere on the same
machine..... )

John Lewis

"JHawk" <brycej@truman.edu> once tried to test me with:

> What exacting is hyperthreading? Does it only affect dual processors?

You can find more info than you want to know about this using google. ;)

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:54:19 -0400, "REH" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote:
> >Are you sure about that? I have AVP2 and PH, and have played both to
> >completion on a machine with an HT processor.
> >

> AvP: Indeed I am ...by double testing.... It fails to load only
> certain levels... there could be some thread/race problems which
> makes it flaky/marginal in HT mode... I am using a 3.2Ghz Prescott.
> Very latest XP updates, except no SP2.
>
> ( BTW, HT mode works flawlessly otherwise on pro-software and many
> other games. I use it regularly with Adobe Premiere on the same
> machine..... )
>
> John Lewis

How do you know that it is failing because of HT? I have a P4 3.06GHz with
XP and never had a problem with the game.

REH

Weaver

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:55:25 GMT, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>> Thanks for the first comment in this thread totally unrelated to the
>> heading. Have a banana......
>
>you're right. what kind of person would bring their steam baggage into
>an unrelated thread? a scoundrel, that's who! (or perhaps a hypocritical
>old twit who's done the same thing dozens of times in the past. i'll let
>you off the hook and assume it's just senility kicking in.)

lmao

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:24:56 -0400, "REH" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote:

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:54:19 -0400, "REH" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote:
>> >Are you sure about that? I have AVP2 and PH, and have played both to
>> >completion on a machine with an HT processor.
>> >

>> AvP: Indeed I am ...by double testing.... It fails to load only
>> certain levels... there could be some thread/race problems which
>> makes it flaky/marginal in HT mode... I am using a 3.2Ghz Prescott.
>> Very latest XP updates, except no SP2.
>>
>> ( BTW, HT mode works flawlessly otherwise on pro-software and many
>> other games. I use it regularly with Adobe Premiere on the same
>> machine..... )
>>
>> John Lewis
>>
>How do you know that it is failing because of HT? I have a P4 3.06GHz with
>XP and never had a problem with the game.
>
>REH

Turn HT off in BIOS it works, turn it on it doesn't....reboot-time.
Likely to be a marginal software problem, since it is confined to a
specific level load in AvP2. Maybe an attribute of using HT on a
Prescott with the1Meg cache instead of Northwood with 512K...
Who knows ??

BTW, it is not a system-problem with my machine. I have a very
large collection of PC action titles, and Arx Fatalis and AvP2 are
the only 2 (so far seen) having problems with HT mode on my
(3.2GHz) Prescott machine...

John Lewis

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Uhm... both C&C Generals & Zero Hour run perfectly fine on my PIV 3.4G
HT.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:07:25 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>Turn HT off in BIOS it works, turn it on it doesn't....reboot-time.
>Likely to be a marginal software problem, since it is confined to a
>specific level load in AvP2. Maybe an attribute of using HT on a
>Prescott with the1Meg cache instead of Northwood with 512K...
>Who knows ??
>
>BTW, it is not a system-problem with my machine. I have a very
>large collection of PC action titles, and Arx Fatalis and AvP2 are
>the only 2 (so far seen) having problems with HT mode on my
>(3.2GHz) Prescott machine...
>
>John Lewis

You think HT is a problem with some older games now> Wait until dual
core cpu's come out, I predict a big friggin' headache for gamer's.
And then when Longhorn comes out I expect we may as well all dump our
beloved PC's and go Mac.

> Turn HT off in BIOS it works, turn it on it doesn't....reboot-time.
> Likely to be a marginal software problem, since it is confined to a
> specific level load in AvP2. Maybe an attribute of using HT on a
> Prescott with the1Meg cache instead of Northwood with 512K...
> Who knows ??
>
> BTW, it is not a system-problem with my machine. I have a very
> large collection of PC action titles, and Arx Fatalis and AvP2 are
> the only 2 (so far seen) having problems with HT mode on my
> (3.2GHz) Prescott machine...
>
> John Lewis

Maybe its a problem with HT in the Prescott. I have a Northwood.

REH

Aldwyn Edain wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:07:25 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
> wrote:
>

>>Turn HT off in BIOS it works, turn it on it doesn't....reboot-time.
>>Likely to be a marginal software problem, since it is confined to a
>>specific level load in AvP2. Maybe an attribute of using HT on a
>>Prescott with the1Meg cache instead of Northwood with 512K...
>>Who knows ??
>>
>>BTW, it is not a system-problem with my machine. I have a very
>>large collection of PC action titles, and Arx Fatalis and AvP2 are
>>the only 2 (so far seen) having problems with HT mode on my
>>(3.2GHz) Prescott machine...
>>
>>John Lewis
>

> You think HT is a problem with some older games now> Wait until dual
> core cpu's come out, I predict a big friggin' headache for gamer's.
> And then when Longhorn comes out I expect we may as well all dump our
> beloved PC's and go Mac.

Ug...Longhorn. While it has some cool features, it really is only built
for business and to integrate with Win2k3 Server....

James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:
>Ug...Longhorn. While it has some cool features, it really is only built
>for business and to integrate with Win2k3 Server....

Except that Longhorn will have a new graphics system that's better
integrated with the next version of DirectX. Microsoft isn't planning
on releasing a new version of DirectX until Longhorn comes out, and I'm
not sure if the next version of DirectX will support Windows XP or any
earlier version of Windows. Longhorn may be the only option for games
that want to use Shader Model 4.0, for example.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

Ross Ridge wrote:
> James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Ug...Longhorn. While it has some cool features, it really is only built
>>for business and to integrate with Win2k3 Server....
>

> Except that Longhorn will have a new graphics system that's better
> integrated with the next version of DirectX. Microsoft isn't planning
> on releasing a new version of DirectX until Longhorn comes out, and I'm
> not sure if the next version of DirectX will support Windows XP or any
> earlier version of Windows. Longhorn may be the only option for games
> that want to use Shader Model 4.0, for example.

I've heard this hype before from MS and I just don't believe it. I
don't see how integrating DirectX right into the OS (which is what it
sounds like what they are doing...making a kernel "module" of DirectX)
is going to help their business customers. Plus, Longhorn has had a lot
of claims, but very few have actually seen the light of day.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

You don't need to disable HT to use your games\software. Simply set the
affinity for the games\software to a single processor.

IIRC, 9x compatibility modes has an affinity layer built in, never
tried it tho since I usually set affinity manually.

Ross Ridge wrote:
> Except that Longhorn will have a new graphics system that's better
> integrated with the next version of DirectX. Microsoft isn't planning
> on releasing a new version of DirectX until Longhorn comes out, and I'm
> not sure if the next version of DirectX will support Windows XP or any
> earlier version of Windows. Longhorn may be the only option for games
> that want to use Shader Model 4.0, for example.

James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:
>I've heard this hype before from MS and I just don't believe it.

There's really no reason to disbelieve it. Microsoft has made it very
clear there won't be a new version of DirectX until Longhorn comes out.
Video card vendors are already working with Microsoft on new drivers
and new hardware to support the new graphics system.

>I don't see how integrating DirectX right into the OS (which is what it
>sounds like what they are doing...making a kernel "module" of DirectX)
>is going to help their business customers.

DirectX is already intergrated into the operating system. It's part
of the kernel and driver architecture. What they're doing now is
integrating Direct3D with their new Windows graphics system, called
Windows Graphics Fondation (WGF). The graphics system that normal
Windows applications use today, GDI, just isn't able benefit from the
accelerated 3D capabilities that all video cards have today. With WDF,
Windows will be able to use 3D accelerated graphics to speed up the
drawing of normal Windows applications, and to perform special effects
that weren't possible or practical before. Even the lowest end business
desktop sold today includes integrated 3D accelerated graphics, so this
will help their business customers too.

>Plus, Longhorn has had a lot of claims, but very few have actually seen
>the light of day.

Longhorn hasn't seen the light of day. As I said, we won't be seeing
a new version of DirectX until Longhorn is released.

Ross Ridge

--

Quoth The Raven "Ross Ridge"<rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> in
d46as4$kch$2@rumours.uwaterloo.ca
> James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:
>>Ug...Longhorn. While it has some cool features, it really is only
>>built for business and to integrate with Win2k3 Server....
>
> Except that Longhorn will have a new graphics system that's better
> integrated with the next version of DirectX. Microsoft isn't planning
> on releasing a new version of DirectX until Longhorn comes out, and
> I'm not sure if the next version of DirectX will support Windows XP
> or any earlier version of Windows. Longhorn may be the only option
> for games that want to use Shader Model 4.0, for example.
>
> Ross Ridge

longhorn will now be a service pack for XP in 2006

--
Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went
nuts. - Stephen Wright

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me