Has EBX started to limit price-match with other local stor..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Went to my local EBX the other day for a Fry's price-match on a
computer-game. It was refused.

My EBX is in a mall, and I was told by the manager that they now
restrict price-match only to other computer-software stores in the
mall - Babbages' is the only one. Apparently on instruction from
"head-office"... ( Babbages' in the same mall has been
practicing the same policy for the last 2 years ).

Circuit City and CompUSA are both just outside the mall, less
than 1/2 mile away, so I went to Circuit City instead, where I
got a 110% price-match....Fry's is about 7 miles away and Best Buy
2 miles away... all these still offer price-match with each other.

Yet another reason NOT to go out of my way to visit my local EBX
store.

Anybody else experienced similar with EBX ?

John Lewis

jwb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003

> Went to my local EBX the other day for a Fry's price-match on a
> computer-game. It was refused.
>
> My EBX is in a mall, and I was told by the manager that they now
> restrict price-match only to other computer-software stores in the
> mall - Babbages' is the only one. Apparently on instruction from
> "head-office"... ( Babbages' in the same mall has been
> practicing the same policy for the last 2 years ).
>
> Circuit City and CompUSA are both just outside the mall, less
> than 1/2 mile away, so I went to Circuit City instead, where I
> got a 110% price-match....Fry's is about 7 miles away and Best Buy
> 2 miles away... all these still offer price-match with each other.
>
> Yet another reason NOT to go out of my way to visit my local EBX
> store.

Out of your way? Don't take this as an insult, but you proved you won't go
seven miles to buy an item you want that's on sale. You wanted someone else
to give you the same price. What is EB really losing?

> Anybody else experienced similar with EBX ?

As big box retailers grow, price matching from "the area" has not been a
good policy for niche stores. They just can't compete on volume and loss
leaders and such. For example, Best Buy prices a new game for $39.99 to
drive traffic, and many people come in for that and buy other stuff. EB
can't do that because their stock just isn't varied enough for loss leaders
to work.

The whole point behind "price matching" was that you could easily go to the
other store to buy the item (like the babbages you mention). Obviously, you
weren't willing to do that (and EB knows most people won't). I'll bet if
circuit city also refused your price match that you would not have driven
the seven miles (unless it was a big savings). I know I wouldn't have.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

> Went to my local EBX the other day for a Fry's price-match on a
> computer-game. It was refused.
>
> My EBX is in a mall, and I was told by the manager that they now
> restrict price-match only to other computer-software stores in the
> mall - Babbages' is the only one. Apparently on instruction from
> "head-office"... ( Babbages' in the same mall has been
> practicing the same policy for the last 2 years ).
>
> Circuit City and CompUSA are both just outside the mall, less
> than 1/2 mile away, so I went to Circuit City instead, where I
> got a 110% price-match....Fry's is about 7 miles away and Best Buy
> 2 miles away... all these still offer price-match with each other.
>
> Yet another reason NOT to go out of my way to visit my local EBX
> store.
>
> Anybody else experienced similar with EBX ?
>
> John Lewis

That's been the policy at the local EB for the last year or so. They don't
use the "same mall" argument, rather they won't match local, big retailers
such as BB and Comp. Since the local EB (just like BB and Comp) doesn't
allow returns, the only advantages EB offers is that they're 5 miles closer
and ...sometimes....they get the games in earlier than the big retailers.
Neither one is usually that important to me so I buy most of my new games on
sale from BB or Comp.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 03:34:37 GMT, "JWB" <jwb3333_spamtrap_@excite.com>
wrote:

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Went to my local EBX the other day for a Fry's price-match on a
>> computer-game. It was refused.
>>
>> My EBX is in a mall, and I was told by the manager that they now
>> restrict price-match only to other computer-software stores in the
>> mall - Babbages' is the only one. Apparently on instruction from
>> "head-office"... ( Babbages' in the same mall has been
>> practicing the same policy for the last 2 years ).
>>
>> Circuit City and CompUSA are both just outside the mall, less
>> than 1/2 mile away, so I went to Circuit City instead, where I
>> got a 110% price-match....Fry's is about 7 miles away and Best Buy
>> 2 miles away... all these still offer price-match with each other.
>>
>> Yet another reason NOT to go out of my way to visit my local EBX
>> store.
>

>Out of your way? Don't take this as an insult, but you proved you won't go
>seven miles to buy an item you want that's on sale. You wanted someone else
>to give you the same price. What is EB really losing?

A regular customer. Usually when I go for a price-match, I also peruse
the store's other stock. It is very seldom that I walk out with just
the price-match item. Over the past 4 years, I have bought several
thousand $$-worth of new and used PC software from this particular
EBX. Up to about 2 years ago both their new and used-software prices
were very competitive; not so now.....

Anyway, they have just been bought by Gamestop...at a highly-inflated
valuation.. (not a very clever move by Gamestop, IMHO. No wonder EBX
management was tumbling over themselves to sell.. )

Anybody know Gamestop's price-match policies and typical used-PC game
% reduction over new prices ? Gamestop is not currently local to me.

>As big box retailers grow, price matching from "the area" has not been a
>good policy for niche stores.

BTW, EBX is NOT a niche store. They are a speciality computer/cosole
games vendor. 2000 stores in 10 countries...........

>They just can't compete on volume and loss leaders and such.

Nonsense...... 3 years ago they were the most competitive
console/PC game retail company in the business and very fast-growing.
I made a lot of money in EBX stock.....and I do not invest in any
companies without due-diligence research...

However, EBX management middle-age set in about 2 years ago.. I
fortunately sold all my stock while it was still up.........and EBX
has gradually become a me-too vendor of games software... Maybe
Gamestop will revitalize them ?

> For example, Best Buy prices a new game for $39.99 to
>drive traffic, and many people come in for that and buy other stuff. EB
>can't do that because their stock just isn't varied enough for loss leaders
>to work.

Huh ? Do you know anything about EBX at all... ever visited their
stores ? A much, much wider selection of both PC and console games
than Best Buy....

>The whole point behind "price matching" was that you could easily go to the
>other store to buy the item (like the babbages you mention). Obviously, you
>weren't willing to do that (and EB knows most people won't). I'll bet if
>circuit city also refused your price match that you would not have driven
>the seven miles (unless it was a big savings). I know I wouldn't have.

I would have waited till the price of the title that I price-matched
dropped to MY price-assessment..... I am NOT of the
must-have-right-now crowd. ( BTW, ~ 75% of my PC game-collection
was purchased either pre-owned or from the 'bargain-bin'. Many
"classic" titles. )

John Lewis

jwb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 03:34:37 GMT, "JWB" <jwb3333_spamtrap_@excite.com>
> wrote:
>
>>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> Went to my local EBX the other day for a Fry's price-match on a
>>> computer-game. It was refused.
>>>
>>> My EBX is in a mall, and I was told by the manager that they now
>>> restrict price-match only to other computer-software stores in the
>>> mall - Babbages' is the only one. Apparently on instruction from
>>> "head-office"... ( Babbages' in the same mall has been
>>> practicing the same policy for the last 2 years ).
>>>
>>> Circuit City and CompUSA are both just outside the mall, less
>>> than 1/2 mile away, so I went to Circuit City instead, where I
>>> got a 110% price-match....Fry's is about 7 miles away and Best Buy
>>> 2 miles away... all these still offer price-match with each other.
>>>
>>> Yet another reason NOT to go out of my way to visit my local EBX
>>> store.
>>

>>Out of your way? Don't take this as an insult, but you proved you won't go
>>seven miles to buy an item you want that's on sale. You wanted someone
>>else
>>to give you the same price. What is EB really losing?
>>

> A regular customer. Usually when I go for a price-match, I also peruse
> the store's other stock. It is very seldom that I walk out with just
> the price-match item. Over the past 4 years, I have bought several
> thousand $$-worth of new and used PC software from this particular
> EBX. Up to about 2 years ago both their new and used-software prices
> were very competitive; not so now.....

do you ever buy full price stuff, or is it always bargain bin / price-match?
I ask because if you are indeed a regular customer who buys regular priced
stuff with an occasional price match, then the manager (or someone) really
should have recognized you and price matched. My EB will price match
something if I ask, but it's because they know me for years as someone who
usually buys titles at whatever the price is. I buy almost 100% of my games
there, many at full price. I guess it helps in my case that the staff has
remained fairly constant, too.

> Anyway, they have just been bought by Gamestop...at a highly-inflated
> valuation.. (not a very clever move by Gamestop, IMHO. No wonder EBX
> management was tumbling over themselves to sell.. )
>
> Anybody know Gamestop's price-match policies and typical used-PC game
> % reduction over new prices ? Gamestop is not currently local to me.
>>
>>As big box retailers grow, price matching from "the area" has not been a
>>good policy for niche stores.
>
> BTW, EBX is NOT a niche store. They are a speciality computer/cosole
> games vendor. 2000 stores in 10 countries...........

specialty computer / console game store *is* a niche store. The amount of
stores doesn't matter in relevence to discussing loss leaders (which was my
point) - the selection does.

>>They just can't compete on volume and loss leaders and such.
>
> Nonsense...... 3 years ago they were the most competitive
> console/PC game retail company in the business and very fast-growing.

I don't know about your area, but in my area, they haven't been
competitively priced for years and years. Their big selling point was they
took returns, and they got the games up to a week earlier than everyone
else. Then they stopped taking returns from most people (I say most because
they have always let me return stuff, because it's fairly rare.)

> I made a lot of money in EBX stock.....and I do not invest in any
> companies without due-diligence research...
>
> However, EBX management middle-age set in about 2 years ago.. I
> fortunately sold all my stock while it was still up.........and EBX
> has gradually become a me-too vendor of games software... Maybe
> Gamestop will revitalize them ?

I hope so. But I doubt it. I've been in a few gamestops and have left
unimpressed.

>> For example, Best Buy prices a new game for $39.99 to
>>drive traffic, and many people come in for that and buy other stuff. EB
>>can't do that because their stock just isn't varied enough for loss
>>leaders
>>to work.
>
> Huh ? Do you know anything about EBX at all... ever visited their
> stores ? A much, much wider selection of both PC and console games
> than Best Buy....

Yes, I have been in their stores. They are fairly small, and all they have
is games and game related items. Loss leaders will never, ever work in a
store like that, because:

a) The store is too small, square footage-wise
b) The stock is not diverse enough.

Now, my question to you: Do you know what a loss leader is and how it works?

>>The whole point behind "price matching" was that you could easily go to
>>the
>>other store to buy the item (like the babbages you mention). Obviously,
>>you
>>weren't willing to do that (and EB knows most people won't). I'll bet if
>>circuit city also refused your price match that you would not have driven
>>the seven miles (unless it was a big savings). I know I wouldn't have.
>>

> I would have waited till the price of the title that I price-matched
> dropped to MY price-assessment..... I am NOT of the
> must-have-right-now crowd.

I am on some games. I'll be buying stronghold 2 tomorrow from my local EB.
They'll hold one for me (not that it'll likely sell out first day)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) once tried to test me with:

> Went to my local EBX the other day for a Fry's price-match on a
> computer-game. It was refused.
>
> My EBX is in a mall, and I was told by the manager that they now
> restrict price-match only to other computer-software stores in the
> mall - Babbages' is the only one. Apparently on instruction from
> "head-office"... ( Babbages' in the same mall has been
> practicing the same policy for the last 2 years ).
>
> Circuit City and CompUSA are both just outside the mall, less
> than 1/2 mile away, so I went to Circuit City instead, where I
> got a 110% price-match....Fry's is about 7 miles away and Best Buy
> 2 miles away... all these still offer price-match with each other.
>
> Yet another reason NOT to go out of my way to visit my local EBX
> store.
>
> Anybody else experienced similar with EBX ?

I just hope you made it clear to them that you were going to buy it
elsewhere due to their change in policy, that you had a car and knew how to
drive 1/2 a mile.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"JWB" <jwb3333_spamtrap_@excite.com> once tried to test me with:

> As big box retailers grow, price matching from "the area" has not been
> a good policy for niche stores. They just can't compete on volume and
> loss leaders and such. For example, Best Buy prices a new game for
> $39.99 to drive traffic, and many people come in for that and buy
> other stuff. EB can't do that because their stock just isn't varied
> enough for loss leaders to work.
>
> The whole point behind "price matching" was that you could easily go
> to the other store to buy the item (like the babbages you mention).
> Obviously, you weren't willing to do that (and EB knows most people
> won't). I'll bet if circuit city also refused your price match that
> you would not have driven the seven miles (unless it was a big
> savings). I know I wouldn't have.

What would you say EB's edge is then against the big chains?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) once tried to test me with:

> However, EBX management middle-age set in about 2 years ago.. I
> fortunately sold all my stock while it was still up.........and EBX
> has gradually become a me-too vendor of games software... Maybe
> Gamestop will revitalize them ?

How? Gamestop is practially a carbon copy clone of EBX.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"JWB" <jwb3333_spamtrap_@excite.com> once tried to test me with:

> specialty computer / console game store *is* a niche store. The amount
> of stores doesn't matter in relevence to discussing loss leaders
> (which was my point) - the selection does.

But "Selection" on a new title is the same. Frys is usually discounting the
recent stuff as a loss leader. Same for BB. There might be a FEW games that
Best Buy or Frys etc don't cary that the specialty stores do, but not many.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> once tried to test me with:

> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> ( BTW, ~ 75% of my PC game-collection was purchased either pre-owned or
>> from the 'bargain-bin'. Many "classic" titles. )
>
> way to support those developers you so love. cheapass.

Nice troll.

BTW, if you spent $1000 a year on games, would it really matter if those
were new titles or bargain bin? I'm genuinely curious. What if his 75% of
the games is only 25% of the money he spends?

Myself, I splurge for the most anticipated releases but I also buy quite a
few "also rans" at the bargain bin.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

jwb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> "JWB" <jwb3333_spamtrap_@excite.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> As big box retailers grow, price matching from "the area" has not been
>> a good policy for niche stores. They just can't compete on volume and
>> loss leaders and such. For example, Best Buy prices a new game for
>> $39.99 to drive traffic, and many people come in for that and buy
>> other stuff. EB can't do that because their stock just isn't varied
>> enough for loss leaders to work.
>>
>> The whole point behind "price matching" was that you could easily go
>> to the other store to buy the item (like the babbages you mention).
>> Obviously, you weren't willing to do that (and EB knows most people
>> won't). I'll bet if circuit city also refused your price match that
>> you would not have driven the seven miles (unless it was a big
>> savings). I know I wouldn't have.
>
> What would you say EB's edge is then against the big chains?

nowadays? Not much. Maybe speed in getting games. They still usually get
them a week or so before the Best Buy's of the world.

jwb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003

> "JWB" <jwb3333_spamtrap_@excite.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> specialty computer / console game store *is* a niche store. The amount
>> of stores doesn't matter in relevence to discussing loss leaders
>> (which was my point) - the selection does.
>
> But "Selection" on a new title is the same. Frys is usually discounting
> the
> recent stuff as a loss leader. Same for BB. There might be a FEW games
> that
> Best Buy or Frys etc don't cary that the specialty stores do, but not
> many.

correct, but the point I was making was overall store selection and how Loss
Leaders work.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:57:01 GMT, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> ( BTW, ~ 75% of my PC game-collection was purchased either pre-owned or
>> from the 'bargain-bin'. Many "classic" titles. )
>
>way to support those developers you so love. cheapass.

Not that 25% of my PC game purchases did not fit in the above
categories....But I shall refrain from any negative references to the
inferential and computational capability of the material between
your ears.

Do you pay full price for all your groceries, clothes, leisure travel
etc ? If so, Mama must be giving you a very healthy allowance
besides paying off your yacht.

John Lewis

On 19 Apr 2005 02:27:31 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) once tried to test me with:
>
>> Went to my local EBX the other day for a Fry's price-match on a
>> computer-game. It was refused.
>>
>> My EBX is in a mall, and I was told by the manager that they now
>> restrict price-match only to other computer-software stores in the
>> mall - Babbages' is the only one. Apparently on instruction from
>> "head-office"... ( Babbages' in the same mall has been
>> practicing the same policy for the last 2 years ).
>>
>> Circuit City and CompUSA are both just outside the mall, less
>> than 1/2 mile away, so I went to Circuit City instead, where I
>> got a 110% price-match....Fry's is about 7 miles away and Best Buy
>> 2 miles away... all these still offer price-match with each other.
>>
>> Yet another reason NOT to go out of my way to visit my local EBX
>> store.
>>
>> Anybody else experienced similar with EBX ?
>
>I just hope you made it clear to them that you were going to buy it
>elsewhere due to their change in policy, that you had a car and knew how to
>drive 1/2 a mile.

Yes, indeed I did. I also explained to the manager that I was
likely to now only visit their store if I was in the mall on some
other business. He appeared to be as unhappy about the
situation as I was and was quite apologetic.

John Lewis

>--
>
>Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
>
>Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

jwb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003

> Yes, indeed I did. I also explained to the manager that I was
> likely to now only visit their store if I was in the mall on some
> other business. He appeared to be as unhappy about the
> situation as I was and was quite apologetic.

well, he obviously wasn't *that* upset :) (I have it on pretty good
authority that EB managers have the power to pricematch if they wish)

skeksis

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote in news:426320cc.22711175
@news.verizon.net:

> Anybody else experienced similar with EBX ?

My local EB has stopped any and all price-matching at all.

Skeksis

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 03:14:11 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>Went to my local EBX the other day for a Fry's price-match on a
>computer-game. It was refused.
>
>My EBX is in a mall, and I was told by the manager that they now
>restrict price-match only to other computer-software stores in the
>mall - Babbages' is the only one. Apparently on instruction from
>"head-office"... ( Babbages' in the same mall has been
>practicing the same policy for the last 2 years ).
>
>Circuit City and CompUSA are both just outside the mall, less
>than 1/2 mile away, so I went to Circuit City instead, where I
>got a 110% price-match....Fry's is about 7 miles away and Best Buy
>2 miles away... all these still offer price-match with each other.
>
>Yet another reason NOT to go out of my way to visit my local EBX
>store.
>
>Anybody else experienced similar with EBX ?
>
>John Lewis

I used to buy all my software from EB. They had the same prices and
their return policy was pretty liberal.
Now their prices are higher and you can only return for a refund if
the package is unopened or exchange for the same title if it is
opened.

Most of the local EB's carry used software, but it's usually only $5
cheaper than the same title new. ("You can't play online because the
key's been used? Sorry, we don't give refunds on used software.")

The thing that really annoys me is that they open all their new
software to store the disks behind the counter. I'm always wondering
if I'm getting an unused serial # and if all the documentation is in
the box.

I usually just go to the Future Shop or Walmart and pay $5 less for a
sealed copy.

Remove nospam_ to reply by email

Jeff H........

Lies, All lies. Don't believe a word Difool/sayNO says.
He fears the truth!

vinCe

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"JWB" wrote

> do you ever buy full price stuff, or is it always bargain bin /
> price-match? I ask because if you are indeed a regular customer who buys
> regular priced stuff with an occasional price match, then the manager (or
> someone) really should have recognized you and price matched. My EB will
> price match something if I ask, but it's because they know me for years as
> someone who usually buys titles at whatever the price is. I buy almost
> 100% of my games there, many at full price. I guess it helps in my case
> that the staff has remained fairly constant, too.

My local EB store recognizes me too.

But the manager says next time he will definitely prosecute.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> once tried to test me with:

> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>> i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> once tried to test me with:

>>> way to support those developers you so love. cheapass.
>>>

>> Nice troll.
>
> much like "griefing," "troll" actually means something. it's not just
> a generic word for dummies like you to throw around whenever you don't
> like something. please stop misusing words. there are plenty of others
> to choose from.

Ok, nice unprovoked flame. Is that better?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.