GameStop is buying EB Games..

Read about it this morning on Yahoo - wonder what that'll mean to
gamers and competition..?

toadie

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:17:44 GMT, toadie05@sbcglobal.net wrote:

>Read about it this morning on Yahoo - wonder what that'll mean to
>gamers and competition..?

I'll just go to Babbages.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Michael Cecil wrote:

> I'll just go to Babbages.

Guess who owns Babbages.

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Michael Cecil wrote:
>
>> I'll just go to Babbages.
>
> Guess who owns Babbages.

So basically a single video game-only vendor? Then they will be out of
business within two years I predict.

>Read about it this morning on Yahoo - wonder what that'll mean to
>gamers and competition..?
>
>toadie

I will still stick with Amazon, etc... The one "near" here in Bozeman,
MT is 99% consoles any way!

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

toadie05@sbcglobal.net once tried to test me with:

> Read about it this morning on Yahoo - wonder what that'll mean to
> gamers and competition..?

It will mean you have the same choices you had before, since they were
practically clones of each other. If you happen to live in a town where
those were the only two game vendors (no Best Buy etc) you might be in
trouble, though.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

pw wrote:
> I will still stick with Amazon, etc... The one "near" here in Bozeman,
> MT is 99% consoles any way!

PC Gamers do need to boycott this business model. They are on the verge
of eliminating PC games completely from their stores anyways. They want
to make money on fast food used console games aimed at gamers with LOW
expectations. Plaster stickers on the products, gut the games, and sell
used products as new.

Managers DO resell returned merchandise as new. They also put new games
in their demo machines and then sell them as new. Many of their used
games are scratched to hell, or they are sent out to a reclamation
center where a layer is scraped off to make them appear better for the
moment.

Furthermore, there are different price tiers that these companies pay
for games, and these chains are not as high up as Walmart. That is the
main reason why they cannot discount the games. Also, as others have
pointed out, they cannot use them as price leaders since they sell not
other products from those tiny stores.

This is basically not a good business model to benefit gamers. A good
business model is new games at great prices. Look at www.newegg.com ,
www.gogamer.com , and www.amazon.com !

Well,it doesn't bode well. Babbages was on the verge of bankruptcy and was
bought by Gamestop what 7-8 years ago. Now EB bought by Gamestop as well.
Still got Walmart.I don't think Gamestop will be able to buy them.

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> toadie05@sbcglobal.net once tried to test me with:
>

>> Read about it this morning on Yahoo - wonder what that'll mean to
>> gamers and competition..?
>
> It will mean you have the same choices you had before, since they were
> practically clones of each other. If you happen to live in a town where
> those were the only two game vendors (no Best Buy etc) you might be in
> trouble, though.

I can't get credit for used PC games at GameStop. I can at EB.

Jonah Falcon

Never know. I mean AOL bought Time-Warner.

"dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Well,it doesn't bode well. Babbages was on the verge of bankruptcy and was
> bought by Gamestop what 7-8 years ago. Now EB bought by Gamestop as well.
> Still got Walmart.I don't think Gamestop will be able to buy them.
>

> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > Guess who owns Babbages.
>> >

>> So basically a single video game-only vendor? Then they will be out of
>> business within two years I predict.

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

Is Software Etc. still around? If so, are they owned by anybody?

Nonymous wrote:
> Is Software Etc. still around? If so, are they owned by anybody?

Gamestop.com bought them years ago. Software Etc and Babbages were owned by
the same company until Gamespot.com bought them.

Jonah Falcon wrote:

> I can't get credit for used PC games at GameStop. I can at EB.
>
> Jonah Falcon

You're a fool if you're trading in used games at EB. You'll get
substantially more on eBay (EB completely screws people on trading in
old games)...

"Smart Feet" <smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote in message
> Jonah Falcon wrote:
>

>> I can't get credit for used PC games at GameStop. I can at EB.
>>
>> Jonah Falcon
>

> You're a fool if you're trading in used games at EB. You'll get
> substantially more on eBay (EB completely screws people on trading in old
> games)...

Uh huh. eBay also charges a percentage from what I sell. I only buy from
eBay.