Will 2005 finally be the year of the DVD-ROM?

It seems like more and more games are coming out on DVD now (at least
here in the USA; apparently the rest of the world hasn't been so
backwards). Brothers in Arms, Half Life 2, Splinter Cell 3,
MoH-Pacific Assault all came on DVD. Has the industry *finally*
realized that most PCs sold in the past few years (e.g., the sort of
PCs that can actually run these behemoths of games) have been shipping
with DVD drives? Will the trend continue; I hope so; aside from the
benefits of easier installation and increased capacity, it's just so
much darn easier to store one DVD than six CDs.

Personally, I always felt that the lack of DVD games had less to do
with market penetration of DVD drives and more to do with the computer
savyness of the average user; DVDs and CDs look too much alike and are
easy to confuse. Game publishers and retailers probably didn't want to
have to deal with all the returns and complaints when a DVD game
didn't work in little Bobby's CD-Drive. At least, that's my opinion of
why it only took a couple of years for the industry to switch from
floppy to CD while it's taken them five or six to move to DVD; you
can't confuse a floppy disk for a CD.

I wonder if there's a list of PC games available on DVD; aside from
those above, I can only think of a handful of others:

Myst (or was it RealMyst?)
Baldur's Gate (a special edition sort of thing)
Metal Gear 3
Shellshock: Nam '67
Unreal Tournament 2004
28 answers Last reply
More about will 2005 finally year

    x-no-archive: yes

    Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

    much more relevant than the normal transition between cd-rom
    and dvd-rom is the damage steam is doing to pc games
    don't forget if steam wins and monopolizes pc games it will
    kill all kind of physical storage medium including cd-rom or
    dvd-rom

    steamKILLER wrote:
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
    >
    > much more relevant than the normal transition between cd-rom
    > and dvd-rom is the damage steam is doing to pc games
    > don't forget if steam wins and monopolizes pc games it will
    > kill all kind of physical storage medium including cd-rom or
    > dvd-rom

    Yay! Welcome back!

    Look everybody! It's sayNO!

    How you doing sayNO? It's been real quiet here without you - there was
    even a thread about it. You'll be please to hear that John Lewis is
    back, and even Peter [AGHL] has returned from exile.

    What else is new? Oh, yeah, Valve have released all the Steam patches
    on a cover disc (PC Gamer IIRC). So you won that battle.

    But STAYING ON TOPIC (we do that now, that's one thing that changed
    after you left), I think that there is another reason for the slow
    transition to DVD. Most games still don't need all that space - they
    still fit on a CD.

    The development cycle of a new game has to be shorter and shorter these
    days, else the technology and competition gets so far ahead that when
    the game comes out, it is already outdated. Consequently, corners have
    to be cut and compromises made - this may mean less graphical/aural
    detail, fewer levels, fewer monsters/objects/weapons etc. Ultimately it
    means less data to fit on the disc.

    Secondly, I would expect that the game code is more efficient these
    days, so itself it takes up less space. This also tends to mean less
    innovation in games becasue they are just reusing existing code and not
    creating new functionality or reatures as much.

    Some big games have dared to invest time and effort and have created so
    much content that it needs greater storage, but for most smaller games
    it isn't necessary yet.

    I add these factors to the OP's factors of DVD drives only becoming
    commonplace in recent years, and the possibility of confusion between
    identical looking discs.

    > @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > Yay! Welcome back!
    > >
    > > Look everybody! It's sayNO!
    >
    > Did it crosspost, or is it just using the same email address that's
    already
    > in my killfile?

    Same email address. Although it was the absence of capital letters, the
    deft change of topic to Steam and the non-archiving statement that
    alerted me initially.

    If you're still unsure, open the thread in Google Groups
    (http://tinyurl.com/csrl8) and choose Show Options, Find Messages By
    This Author.

    Chadwick wrote:

    > Same email address. Although it was the absence of capital letters,
    > the deft change of topic to Steam and the non-archiving statement that
    > alerted me initially.

    I enjoy the irony that he is using Google Groups to post his messages while
    at the same time telling Google not to archive them.

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:11:59 -0600, "Hank the Rapper"
    <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

    >Chadwick wrote:
    >
    >> Same email address. Although it was the absence of capital letters,
    >> the deft change of topic to Steam and the non-archiving statement that
    >> alerted me initially.
    >
    >I enjoy the irony that he is using Google Groups to post his messages while
    >at the same time telling Google not to archive them.

    Actually, no. He's just putting "X-No-Archive: Yes" in the body of the
    message.

    Raymond Martineau wrote:

    > Actually, no. He's just putting "X-No-Archive: Yes" in the body of
    > the message.

    What do you think that means? Check his message on Google Groups. His post
    will be deleted in a week like his others.

    Quoth The Raven "Spalls Hurgenson"<yoinks@ebalu.com> in
    gq296190ce4u69utuhv22gbo1qkb9tk78r@4ax.com
    > It seems like more and more games are coming out on DVD now

    surprisingly on the Steam Survey this year, DVD's featured as the more
    common device on peoples computers.
    --
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

    Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

    x-no-archive: yes

    Chadwick wrote:

    <snip>

    using google for newsgroups is awful and it doesn't work
    for me and i've been trying to get a free news server but
    it has been very difficult

    i've not been able to read everything in here but what i
    did has disappoint me a lot... again this group has been
    invaded by the enemy: consolists, pro steam fanatics and
    pirates... really very sad... a total disgrace
    my heart aches seeing what this group has become

    as for the news monopolistic greedy dictator valve is now
    making available updates in a cd game magazine is again
    and like always a rotten gift, a poison candy for us, to
    again try and fool us, to try and deceive and seduce us
    into the dark side, to make us become another submissive
    dependant brainwashed controlled and imprisoned gamer and
    that will never happen! never! steam never ever!

    the battle is not mine but for all pc gamers in the world
    and it will only be won when steam is totally destroyed
    and killed for good!
    long live pc games!
    down to steam!
    down to piracy!
    down to consoles!

    What happens to the people that want to use a program like Alcohol 52%
    to create images? A DVD image is much larger than a CD image. Most
    people that use those programs only need to copy CD 1 to be able to use
    the no cd option. There will still be a market for CDs.

    x-no-archive: yes

    javajeff wrote:

    <snip yet another thief promoting illegal activities>

    yes i know, nobody in this group cares about fighting piracy
    but i do and i will not tolerate criminal thieves supporting
    illegal and damaging activities which are killing pc games
    every day!

    mister you play by the rules do you understand!
    play by the rules or leave!
    .. you always buy the pc games you want to play in your local
    retail store!
    .. your copies are for your personal use only and lending is
    totally forbidden!
    .. you don't make backup copies cause manufactured cd-roms are
    the most reliable medium ever created!
    .. each time you play you must have the cd-rom inserted in and
    don't try to find ways to run away from it cause they promote
    piracy and damage pc games!

    these are the rules! and you have the option of complying and
    be a respectful pc gamer or not and face the consequences of
    your illegal actions!

    ps: i want to make tribute to "John A. Mason" which is by far
    the only respectful and true pc gamer in this group, thanks
    John for being a pc gamer and for defending pc games and i'm
    sure with us this group is properly defended

    steamKILLER wrote:
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > javajeff wrote:
    >
    > <snip yet another thief promoting illegal activities>
    >
    > yes i know, nobody in this group cares about fighting piracy
    > but i do and i will not tolerate criminal thieves supporting
    > illegal and damaging activities which are killing pc games
    > every day!
    >
    > mister you play by the rules do you understand!
    > play by the rules or leave!
    > . you always buy the pc games you want to play in your local
    > retail store!
    > . your copies are for your personal use only and lending is
    > totally forbidden!
    > . you don't make backup copies cause manufactured cd-roms are
    > the most reliable medium ever created!
    > . each time you play you must have the cd-rom inserted in and
    > don't try to find ways to run away from it cause they promote
    > piracy and damage pc games!
    >
    > these are the rules! and you have the option of complying and
    > be a respectful pc gamer or not and face the consequences of
    > your illegal actions!
    >
    > ps: i want to make tribute to "John A. Mason" which is by far
    > the only respectful and true pc gamer in this group, thanks
    > John for being a pc gamer and for defending pc games and i'm
    > sure with us this group is properly defended

    Interesting, given that John's only contribution to this thread so far
    has been a badly aimed attack on me.

    And I don't think you are the real sayNO. I think whoever was
    impersonating sayNO has revived the imposter account.

    Personally, I don't understand the problem with CD-checks. Just put the
    CD in the drive and get on with it. Is that really too much effort?
    It's a cheap way of trying to prevent casual piracy, although I think
    it is too easily circumvented these days to be of any real use.

    The deciding factor for each game will be "How much data is there? Will
    it fit on one or two CDs, or do I need a DVD?". I would guess that mass
    CD recording technoogy and services are still cheaper than DVDs because
    the technology is older and the pressing plants have invested in the
    hardware and software already . They can probably make a higher profit
    off CD pressing because the equipment is already depreciated to some
    extent. This will be reflected in cheaper prices to the games houses.

    If a game can be shipped with the install stuff and engine on one CD
    and the levels and incidental music on another, then the producers will
    probably do just that because it is cheaper than producing a DVD.

    However, I think we'll see more and more "big" games coming out on DVDs
    because DVDs are more commonplace now and the technology has
    stabilised. Most readers don't care whether they're fed DVD-R, DVD+R,
    DVD-ROM or whatever - they just deal with it. Games like Far Cry and
    HL2 come with a lot of data and a single disc is more convenient.
    There's also a certain cool value in shipping a game "so good it needs
    to be on a DVD".

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:15:27 -0400, javajeff
    <javajeff@NOSPAMadelphia.net> wrote:

    >What happens to the people that want to use a program like Alcohol 52%
    >to create images? A DVD image is much larger than a CD image. Most
    >people that use those programs only need to copy CD 1 to be able to use
    >the no cd option. There will still be a market for CDs.

    I'm not sure I see the problem. Most games install all the content
    onto the hard-drive anyway. If having to pop the CD into the drive is
    annoying, you use a no-cd crack; imaging isn't required. You use
    virtualCD imagess only if you don't want to use a no-cd program
    (either because the use of which is potentially illegal -although it
    shouldn't be- or because it could possibly be a vector for malware).

    At least, that's my understanding of how it works, but I don't
    regularly use noCD cracks. Maybe that technique no longer works
    against modern anti-copying software. But if these cracks require an
    image of a CD to work, I personally wouldn't call it a "noCD" crack.
    But that's just me.

    Besides, I can't imagine that, in an era of 500GB hard drives, a DVD
    image isn't going to be all that unacceptable to people who care about
    things like that.

    Xocyll wrote:
    > frankly I think Google should NOT honor X-N-A for
    > people who post via google.

    I think it's OK if Google honours the intentions of the people who use
    it's NG service.
    It seems a bit daft to have a feature in a program that doesn't work in
    that program, but does work if you view your data in a rival program.

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:07:46 -0600, "Hank the Rapper"
    <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

    >Raymond Martineau wrote:
    >
    >> Actually, no. He's just putting "X-No-Archive: Yes" in the body of
    >> the message.
    >
    >What do you think that means? Check his message on Google Groups. His post
    >will be deleted in a week like his others.

    I checked with google... while it is true they will disappear in a week or
    so, it doesn't mean that it will be honored globally:

    http://www.gameskb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/pc-games-action/5515/Psychotoxic-Walkthrough
    http://video-game-forum.net/showthread.php?t=15242 (Home of the split
    personalities)

    As I said, he's just putting "X-No-Archive: Yes" in the body of his
    message. The only difference is that it will be actually visible on the
    forums above.

    Raymond Martineau wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:07:46 -0600, "Hank the Rapper"
    > <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Raymond Martineau wrote:
    >>
    >>> Actually, no. He's just putting "X-No-Archive: Yes" in the body of
    >>> the message.
    >>
    >> What do you think that means? Check his message on Google Groups.
    >> His post will be deleted in a week like his others.
    >
    > I checked with google... while it is true they will disappear in a
    > week or so, it doesn't mean that it will be honored globally:
    >
    > http://www.gameskb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/pc-games-action/5515/Psychotoxic-Walkthrough
    > http://video-game-forum.net/showthread.php?t=15242 (Home of the split
    > personalities)
    >
    > As I said, he's just putting "X-No-Archive: Yes" in the body of his
    > message. The only difference is that it will be actually visible on
    > the forums above.

    Read what I said originally. "I enjoy the irony that he is using Google
    Groups to post his messages while
    at the same time telling Google not to archive them." I was specifically
    talking about Google Groups, not web forums who grab Usenet posts.
    archived.

    "Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >Raymond Martineau wrote:
    >> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:07:46 -0600, "Hank the Rapper"
    >> <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

    >>> What do you think that means? Check his message on Google Groups.
    >>> His post will be deleted in a week like his others.
    >>
    >> I checked with google... while it is true they will disappear in a
    >> week or so, it doesn't mean that it will be honored globally:
    >>
    >> http://www.gameskb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/pc-games-action/5515/Psychotoxic-Walkthrough
    >> http://video-game-forum.net/showthread.php?t=15242 (Home of the split
    >> personalities)
    >>
    >> As I said, he's just putting "X-No-Archive: Yes" in the body of his
    >> message. The only difference is that it will be actually visible on
    >> the forums above.
    >
    >Read what I said originally. "I enjoy the irony that he is using Google
    >Groups to post his messages while
    >at the same time telling Google not to archive them." I was specifically
    >talking about Google Groups, not web forums who grab Usenet posts.
    >archived.

    Heavy Irony, and frankly I think Google should NOT honor X-N-A for
    people who post via google.

    Xocyll
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails
    of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >steamKILLER wrote:
    <snip the raving of the loon>
    >> ps: i want to make tribute to "John A. Mason" which is by far
    >> the only respectful and true pc gamer in this group, thanks
    >> John for being a pc gamer and for defending pc games and i'm
    >> sure with us this group is properly defended
    >
    >Interesting, given that John's only contribution to this thread so far
    >has been a badly aimed attack on me.
    >
    >And I don't think you are the real sayNO. I think whoever was
    >impersonating sayNO has revived the imposter account.
    >
    >Personally, I don't understand the problem with CD-checks. Just put the
    >CD in the drive and get on with it. Is that really too much effort?
    >It's a cheap way of trying to prevent casual piracy, although I think
    >it is too easily circumvented these days to be of any real use.

    The problem with CD-Checks, is that the companies marketing such things
    are never 100% compatible. No doubt they tell the software companies
    they sell their schemes to that they are, but they aren't.

    So you have the situation of the game will run just fine on the computer
    and cd-rom, the cd-checking scheme however refuses to recognize the
    cd-rom, and to finish out the problem, the software is unreturnable.

    That's exactly the problem I ran into with various of the older safedisc
    version - including Diablo2 - the game installed just fine, but safedisc
    wouldn't admit the cdrom existed.
    Result: I HAD to use a no-cd crack in order to play a game I bought,
    which, since it's not the original code and doesn't match the check,
    also stopped me playing on Battle.net.

    There's a chunk of functionality removed strictly because of the
    copy-protection.

    It's interesting to see that newer versions of safedisc see that very
    same drive just fine - so it was always a safedisc problem.

    The moment the copy-protection stops people who paid for the game from
    actually playing, it's gone too far.

    Frankly I'd rather have the word lookups or code-wheels back than
    cd-based protection that doesn't work on all systems.

    Xocyll
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    x-no-archive: yes

    John A. Mason wrote:

    <snip>

    thank you very much John, really appreciate
    steam is for me the number one problem in pc games but
    piracy and the totally unfair competition we face from
    consoles are the two other very important issues which
    we pc gamers must mobilize to deal with and defend what
    is dear to us
    i've said this since the beginning, we as pc gamers have
    to take the matters in our own hands cause ultimately we
    are also responsible to what happens in pc games
    if steam wins we have us to blame cause we didn't fought
    it properly and the same applies to piracy and consoles
    i know i don't do enough to fight steam, by now i should
    have created an worldwide association of pc gamers with
    its own website and forums and totally devoted to fight
    steam and piracy and consoles, but i didn't and i have
    only myself to blame but its obvious with help it would
    be possible, so yes my complaint is not finding in this
    group anyone passionate enough like myself and its such
    a shame
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    steamKILLER wrote:

    > thank you very much John, really appreciate
    > steam is for me the number one problem in pc games but
    > piracy and the totally unfair competition we face from
    > consoles are the two other very important issues which
    > we pc gamers must mobilize to deal with and defend what
    > is dear to us

    Valve is releasing a Steam-free version of Half-Life 2 for the Xbox this
    year. :-P
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    John A. Mason wrote:

    > And I can also see through his 'enthusiasm' to believe in my heart
    > that he doesn't really mean that. He is exatugerating (?? can't find
    > the right spelling!) to make a point. I've done it myself at times.
    > Perhaps I am wrong and he really is crazy. But I don't think so.
    > John

    I guess it's a good thing then that he won't let Google archive his posts.
    Now you can't go back and find out what a nut job he is. When you say the
    same thing over and over in differenct posts it isn't just a one time
    emoitional response.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Quoth The Raven "Hank the Rapper"<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> in
    l6WdnX83hNYhYPXfRVn-2A@giganews.com
    > steamKILLER wrote:
    >
    >> thank you very much John, really appreciate
    >> steam is for me the number one problem in pc games but
    >> piracy and the totally unfair competition we face from
    >> consoles are the two other very important issues which
    >> we pc gamers must mobilize to deal with and defend what
    >> is dear to us
    >
    > Valve is releasing a Steam-free version of Half-Life 2 for the Xbox
    > this year. :-P

    are you sure it'll be steam free? perhaps the game will only install on
    x-box live units

    --
    The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read
    and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. - (Alvin

    Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 19 Apr 2005 01:44:11 -0700, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >But STAYING ON TOPIC (we do that now, that's one thing that changed
    >after you left), I think that there is another reason for the slow
    >transition to DVD. Most games still don't need all that space - they
    >still fit on a CD.
    >
    >The development cycle of a new game has to be shorter and shorter these
    >days, else the technology and competition gets so far ahead that when
    >the game comes out, it is already outdated. Consequently, corners have
    >to be cut and compromises made - this may mean less graphical/aural
    >detail, fewer levels, fewer monsters/objects/weapons etc. Ultimately it
    >means less data to fit on the disc.

    I think that's always been the case. But there's probably more of a
    challenge to it nowadays with the increased complexity in PC game
    graphics and technologies and player expectations.

    But generally an increase in graphic detail and complexity means
    larger sized files, hence more storage space is needed.

    Considering that DVD-ROMs and good DVD-R capability only hit the
    market a few years ago, they've probably moved to DVD-ROMs faster than
    or as about as fast as they moved to CD-ROMs for general storage.

    >Secondly, I would expect that the game code is more efficient these
    >days, so itself it takes up less space. This also tends to mean less
    >innovation in games becasue they are just reusing existing code and not
    >creating new functionality or reatures as much.

    I dunno if I would agree with that statement. If anything everything
    today seems more bloated and resource hungry. :-P It may not be the
    gaming software to blame though, its probably just the state of the OS
    that its programmed on. (Mi-GRO-soft :-P)

    >Some big games have dared to invest time and effort and have created so
    >much content that it needs greater storage, but for most smaller games
    >it isn't necessary yet.

    True, but there are alot of games out today that are on no less than 3
    CDs! Are the manufacturing costs that much higher for DVDs where its
    cheaper to use 3 CDs instead of fitting this on 1 single-layer DVD?
    Not only do you have to figure in the burning of each CD, but also the
    printing of their labels and the increased chances for errors in
    production.

    I dunno, maybe its a marketing thing. Maybe the devs think that if
    people see 3 or 4 CDs they will somehow equate that with 'more' or a
    bigger and better game than if it was all on a single disc. *shrug*
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > steamKILLER wrote:
    >
    > > thank you very much John, really appreciate
    > > steam is for me the number one problem in pc games but
    > > piracy and the totally unfair competition we face from
    > > consoles are the two other very important issues which
    > > we pc gamers must mobilize to deal with and defend what
    > > is dear to us
    >
    > Valve is releasing a Steam-free version of Half-Life 2 for the Xbox this
    > year. :-P

    Who cares? You can't play an FPS on a console, you can and you never will.
    They will always be either uncontrollable or come with auto-aim. Either one
    of which is laughable.

    Why do people even bother mentioning that a console has any FPS's?
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Mother Farquhar wrote:

    > Who cares? You can't play an FPS on a console, you can and you never
    > will. They will always be either uncontrollable or come with
    > auto-aim. Either one of which is laughable.
    >
    > Why do people even bother mentioning that a console has any FPS's?

    You're silly and stupid.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    stePH wrote:
    > Somebody told me FarCry was available on DVD but I haven't seen it
    yet. My
    > brother got me the CD-ROM version last christmas and I wanted to
    trade it
    > in..

    It most definitely is available on DVD - I've got it. I wasn't aware it
    was also out on CD. Funny old world.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Quoth The Raven "Chadwick"<chadwick110@hotmail.com> in
    1114698614.515803.41670@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com
    > stePH wrote:
    >> Somebody told me FarCry was available on DVD but I haven't seen it
    >> yet. My brother got me the CD-ROM version last christmas and I
    >> wanted to trade it in..
    >

    > It most definitely is available on DVD - I've got it. I wasn't aware
    > it was also out on CD. Funny old world.

    I bought it on DVD in aus the first day. however mine came without a serial
    number and I cant get it replaced

    --
    MISSING: Tagline, 70 characters long, last seen in Nevada.

    Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    stePH <acetheta@earthlink.net> once tried to test me with:

    > I'm doing my part. I passed on Unreal Tournament 2004 for the
    > longest time, but I just bought the DVD edition yesterday -- my first
    > DVD-ROM game.

    I'd have bought UT2004 on DVD except that the CD version was going for $15
    and the DVD for $30 and I did the math and it just wasn't worth double to
    get a DVD version.

    > Somebody told me FarCry was available on DVD but I haven't seen it
    > yet. My brother got me the CD-ROM version last christmas and I wanted
    > to trade it in..

    It is, I just did a trade for the DVD version of it, hopefully I'll get it
    Monday.

    Heritage of Kings: The Settlers came on DVD in a DVD case (thick style).

    I just bought the DVD version of Brothers in Arms, haven't installed it yet
    (busy with Call of Duty).

    I got DVD City of Heroes C.E. last month. EQ2 has a DVD edition out.

    So it's looking like DVDs are becomming more common place, and it's about
    damn time.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

PC gaming DVD Games DVD Drives Video Games