Public Apology to God

Last response: in Video Games
April 20, 2005 6:13:30 AM

I wish to publicly apologize for spreading the link to that distasteful
image of Quake 3. I thought, at the time, that it was humorous (while
realizing it was tasteless), but it is really NOT funny. I apologize to all
Christians everywhere and to anyone who might have been offended by the
picture. I hope that the person who made the picture can understand how it
is hurtful to people. I am not a very religious person but I do believe in
God, but sometimes I just need a reminder of it. I got my reminder in
spades this week, and I hope that God will forgive me for carelessly
spreading hate. I especially want to apologize to Catholics and hope that
they can see it in their heart to forgive my transgression.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

More about : public apology god

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 6:13:31 AM

You're right about the pic not being very funny, but offensive? Come on.
As for carelessly spreading hate, anyone who reads that into what you did
really needs to lighten up, including you and including god. Just because
it's on the news and 1 in 6 people are mourning the man it shouldn't make
you revere him anymore than you did before his corpse got all the attention.
Besides, any religion with such a mixed and sometimes WILLFULLY hateful
history as the catholic church should be able to take it.

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> I wish to publicly apologize for spreading the link to that distasteful
> image of Quake 3. I thought, at the time, that it was humorous (while
> realizing it was tasteless), but it is really NOT funny. I apologize to
all
> Christians everywhere and to anyone who might have been offended by the
> picture. I hope that the person who made the picture can understand how it
> is hurtful to people. I am not a very religious person but I do believe in
> God, but sometimes I just need a reminder of it. I got my reminder in
> spades this week, and I hope that God will forgive me for carelessly
> spreading hate. I especially want to apologize to Catholics and hope that
> they can see it in their heart to forgive my transgression.
>
> --
>
> Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
>
> Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 6:13:32 AM

You're not kidding the history of the Catholic Church makes you wonder if it
has been serving the Devil or God.
Everything from the Inquisition, to Witch-burning, to child molestations, to
sponsoring the Nazis (and getting paid by them).

I even heard that fish Friday (I was a product of the PUBLIC education
system that observed Fish Friday) was nothing more than
a Pope's attempt to give more business to a relative (who was a fishmonger).

I've always wondered if the movie Stigmata had any truth to it. Particularly
in regards to declaring a book of Jesus's own words
to be fake.

--
Remove nospam to email
"JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote in message
> You're right about the pic not being very funny, but offensive? Come on.
> As for carelessly spreading hate, anyone who reads that into what you did
> really needs to lighten up, including you and including god. Just
> because
> it's on the news and 1 in 6 people are mourning the man it shouldn't make
> you revere him anymore than you did before his corpse got all the
> attention.
> Besides, any religion with such a mixed and sometimes WILLFULLY hateful
> history as the catholic church should be able to take it.
>
> "Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
>> I wish to publicly apologize for spreading the link to that distasteful
>> image of Quake 3. I thought, at the time, that it was humorous (while
>> realizing it was tasteless), but it is really NOT funny. I apologize to
> all
>> Christians everywhere and to anyone who might have been offended by the
>> picture. I hope that the person who made the picture can understand how
>> it
>> is hurtful to people. I am not a very religious person but I do believe
>> in
>> God, but sometimes I just need a reminder of it. I got my reminder in
>> spades this week, and I hope that God will forgive me for carelessly
>> spreading hate. I especially want to apologize to Catholics and hope that
>> they can see it in their heart to forgive my transgression.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
>>
>> Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 20, 2005 12:22:10 PM

On 2005-04-20, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
> I wish to publicly apologize for spreading the link to that distasteful
> image of Quake 3. I thought, at the time, that it was humorous (while
> realizing it was tasteless), but it is really NOT funny. I apologize to all
> Christians everywhere and to anyone who might have been offended by the
> picture. I hope that the person who made the picture can understand how it
> is hurtful to people. I am not a very religious person but I do believe in
> God, but sometimes I just need a reminder of it. I got my reminder in
> spades this week, and I hope that God will forgive me for carelessly
> spreading hate. I especially want to apologize to Catholics and hope that
> they can see it in their heart to forgive my transgression.

This pic sounds cool - got a link?

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.

"Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
> You're not kidding the history of the Catholic Church makes you wonder if
it
> has been serving the Devil or God.
> Everything from the Inquisition, to Witch-burning, to child molestations,
> sponsoring the Nazis (and getting paid by them).

When the church, as a matter of policy, creates and defends immoral action
in the name of god that's where it's a problem, or in the case of the
molestation when they actively cover it up. Sick, really. To say it's all
bad and evil is just as unfair. You've got to remember that the vatican is
(from my observations) primarily a political organization that has a long
history of doing whatever it needs to do to gain power usually by collecting
wealth or controling people by means that often have little to do with Jesus
as newer generations are prone to see with hindsight. I get nervous when so
many people pay tribute to a religions political figure like the pope, but
give the people what they want.

> I even heard that fish Friday (I was a product of the PUBLIC education
> system that observed Fish Friday) was nothing more than
> a Pope's attempt to give more business to a relative (who was a
fishmonger).

I don't think that's a sin anymore.

> I've always wondered if the movie Stigmata had any truth to it.
Particularly
> in regards to declaring a book of Jesus's own words
> to be fake.
>
> --
> Remove nospam to email
> "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote in message
> > You're right about the pic not being very funny, but offensive? Come
on.
> > As for carelessly spreading hate, anyone who reads that into what you
did
> > really needs to lighten up, including you and including god. Just
> > because
> > it's on the news and 1 in 6 people are mourning the man it shouldn't
make
> > you revere him anymore than you did before his corpse got all the
> > attention.
> > Besides, any religion with such a mixed and sometimes WILLFULLY hateful
> > history as the catholic church should be able to take it.
> >
> > "Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> >> I wish to publicly apologize for spreading the link to that distasteful
> >> image of Quake 3. I thought, at the time, that it was humorous (while
> >> realizing it was tasteless), but it is really NOT funny. I apologize to
> > all
> >> Christians everywhere and to anyone who might have been offended by the
> >> picture. I hope that the person who made the picture can understand how
> >> it
> >> is hurtful to people. I am not a very religious person but I do believe
> >> in
> >> God, but sometimes I just need a reminder of it. I got my reminder in
> >> spades this week, and I hope that God will forgive me for carelessly
> >> spreading hate. I especially want to apologize to Catholics and hope
that
> >> they can see it in their heart to forgive my transgression.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
> >>
> >> Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 5:07:43 PM

Thank you for your kind words. I am Catholic, and I am touched by your
apology. You have been given a gift and that is healing from the wounds
that make us careless with our respect for the sanctity of others'
experience. I used to hate Christianity. Then I gained the
understanding that it was costing me dearly in happiness and peace to
be set against such a large group of my fellow humans. Welcome to the
awakening! Don't worry, it's ok. Let it go and let's all get back to
having fun, especially gaming!
April 20, 2005 5:48:34 PM

Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@email.com>, Wed, 20 Apr 2005 02:13:30 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>I wish to publicly apologize for spreading the link to that distasteful
>image of Quake 3. I thought, at the time, that it was humorous (while
>realizing it was tasteless), but it is really NOT funny. I apologize to all
>Christians everywhere and to anyone who might have been offended by the
>picture. I hope that the person who made the picture can understand how it
>is hurtful to people. I am not a very religious person but I do believe in
>God, but sometimes I just need a reminder of it. I got my reminder in
>spades this week, and I hope that God will forgive me for carelessly
>spreading hate.

WTF you talkin bout boy? Did I miss something juicy? Drats! :-/

>I especially want to apologize to Catholics and hope that
>they can see it in their heart to forgive my transgression.

I thought you said Christians K...? >8^D *duck*

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

April 20, 2005 8:03:29 PM

Well, I'm a good Catholic and would love to fight a satan character with a
Ratzinger character. Where are the modders?!

JK

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
> Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@email.com>, Wed, 20 Apr 2005 02:13:30 GMT,
> Anno Domini:
>
>>I wish to publicly apologize for spreading the link to that distasteful
>>image of Quake 3. I thought, at the time, that it was humorous (while
>>realizing it was tasteless), but it is really NOT funny. I apologize to
>>all
>>Christians everywhere and to anyone who might have been offended by the
>>picture. I hope that the person who made the picture can understand how it
>>is hurtful to people. I am not a very religious person but I do believe in
>>God, but sometimes I just need a reminder of it. I got my reminder in
>>spades this week, and I hope that God will forgive me for carelessly
>>spreading hate.
>
> WTF you talkin bout boy? Did I miss something juicy? Drats! :-/
>
>>I especially want to apologize to Catholics and hope that
>>they can see it in their heart to forgive my transgression.
>
> I thought you said Christians K...? >8^D *duck*
>
> --
> A killfile is a friend for life.
>
> Replace 'spamfree' with the other word for 'maze' to reply via email.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 9:35:40 PM

>Back up another 10,000 feet and islam
> and other other religions also look the same as christianity with their
> insistance in absolute values which allegedly come from god (but
> interepreted and enforced by man) but then then get changed by each
> generation that follows.

But still they always discriminate against Women.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 9:35:41 PM

"Les Steel" <a@aolnot.com> wrote in message

> >Back up another 10,000 feet and islam
> > and other other religions also look the same as christianity with their
> > insistance in absolute values which allegedly come from god (but
> > interepreted and enforced by man) but then then get changed by each
> > generation that follows.
> >

> But still they always discriminate against Women.

Well of course. In another hundred years the next generation will look back
on many of "today's" teachings as obsolete and dated while still holding
onto other absolutes. Tomorrows christians will go on believing as usual
finding no problem with the hypocracy or the relative way in which so-called
absolute truths are either abandoned or intrepreted into an unrecognizable
state as each new generation comes along. But you can be sure that the
beliefs of the day (whatever the day) will continue to be used to tell
others how they should and shouldn't behave and people of that day will
assert that their beliefs are absolute and certainly must be the one
exception to the long history of changing beliefs.

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 10:46:43 PM

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:22:10 +0100, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

>This pic sounds cool - got a link?

LOL! I was about to post the same thing.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 11:48:14 PM

Knight37 wrote:
> I wish to publicly apologize for spreading the link to that distasteful
> image of Quake 3. I thought, at the time, that it was humorous (while
> realizing it was tasteless), but it is really NOT funny. I apologize to all
> Christians everywhere and to anyone who might have been offended by the
> picture. I hope that the person who made the picture can understand how it
> is hurtful to people. I am not a very religious person but I do believe in
> God, but sometimes I just need a reminder of it. I got my reminder in
> spades this week, and I hope that God will forgive me for carelessly
> spreading hate. I especially want to apologize to Catholics and hope that
> they can see it in their heart to forgive my transgression.

haha The Popes gonna eat you.
April 21, 2005 12:35:55 AM

"ivorybow" wrote

> Thank you for your kind words. I am Catholic, and I am touched by your
> apology. You have been given a gift and that is healing from the wounds

It's been done.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 3:20:55 AM

Knight37 wrote:
> I wish to publicly apologize for spreading the link to that
> distasteful image of Quake 3. I thought, at the time, that it was
> humorous (while realizing it was tasteless), but it is really NOT
> funny. I apologize to all Christians everywhere and to anyone who
> might have been offended by the picture. I hope that the person who
> made the picture can understand how it is hurtful to people. I am not
> a very religious person but I do believe in God, but sometimes I just
> need a reminder of it. I got my reminder in spades this week, and I
> hope that God will forgive me for carelessly spreading hate. I
> especially want to apologize to Catholics and hope that they can see
> it in their heart to forgive my transgression.
>
> --
>
> Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
>
> Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

That's a shame, I thought the pic was pretty funny.

April 21, 2005 3:20:56 AM

Toby wrote:
> On 2005-04-20, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>> I wish to publicly apologize for spreading the link to that
>> distasteful image of Quake 3. I thought, at the time, that it was
>> humorous (while realizing it was tasteless), but it is really NOT
>> funny. I apologize to all Christians everywhere and to anyone who
>> might have been offended by the picture. I hope that the person who
>> made the picture can understand how it is hurtful to people. I am
>> not a very religious person but I do believe in God, but sometimes I
>> just need a reminder of it. I got my reminder in spades this week,
>> and I hope that God will forgive me for carelessly spreading hate. I
>> especially want to apologize to Catholics and hope that they can see
>> it in their heart to forgive my transgression.
>
> This pic sounds cool - got a link?

http://www.kartinki.cz/images/503_014_prasa_popespree_1...

April 21, 2005 4:08:57 PM

On or about 4/19/2005 7:13:30 PM, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> said:
> I hope that God will forgive me

Ah, if only John Romero were here to accept your apology in person....

Bret
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 7:30:20 PM

>> bible. Brilliant!
>>
>>>Look no further than to the current President of the United States for
>>>one prime example.
>>
>> Good to see you can judge a man's heart & soul w/o ever having been
>> within a thousand miles (probably) of either. Of the hypocrisy, the
>> irony, the sorrow! :)
>
> Sorry Nostromo, but thank you for playing. We have some lovely parting
> gifts for you including a year's supply of D'artagnian's Onion Rings,
> Ronco's Bondage-in-a-Bottle, it won't chip, it won't slip, it won't
> crack, it won't peel, it won't fade, and a new, new, absolutely brand
> new, new, and of course but also, A NEW CAR!

LMAO! Nostromo is so afraid of something.... it's amazing how transparent
he/she/it is.
John
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 9:17:03 PM

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:20:56 GMT, "Dirty Redpool"
<dirtredpooll@something.something> wrote:

>http://www.kartinki.cz/images/503_014_prasa_popespree_1...

That is eff'ing brilliant! Since the old bugger (JP that is, not God)
has been partly responsible for the death of *millions* by AIDS in
Africa, I say good riddance. To bad his succesor is no less
bloodthirsty.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 9:17:04 PM

Joe62 wrote:

> Since the old bugger (JP that is, not God)
> has been partly responsible for the death of *millions* by AIDS in
> Africa, I say good riddance.

How so?
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 12:24:57 AM

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:21:00 +1000, Nostromo
<nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:

>Thus spake OldDog <OldDog@city.pound.com>, Thu, 21 Apr 2005 06:20:20 GMT,
>Anno Domini:
<snip>
>>So many faiths, sects, factions, and churches out there that is a game
>>of chance as to figuring out which one is selling the turth. You can
>>only hope and pray that you've rolled the dice correctly.
>
>Or you could use Faith & God's Word...astounding ey!?

Oh, I've read his words. And I've heard ten different interpretations
from ten different people on a single scripture. :(

Using my faith and limited wisdom, that it would make it 11 different
interpretations. :)

<snip>
April 22, 2005 1:13:28 AM

Thus spake "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053>, Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:12:08 -0400, Anno
Domini:

>"John A. Mason" <jamason56@MYearthlink.net> wrote in message
>> > You're not kidding the history of the Catholic Church makes you wonder
>if
>> > it has been serving the Devil or God.
>> > Everything from the Inquisition, to Witch-burning, to child
>molestations,
>> > to sponsoring the Nazis (and getting paid by them).
>> >
>> > I even heard that fish Friday (I was a product of the PUBLIC education
>> > system that observed Fish Friday) was nothing more than
>> > a Pope's attempt to give more business to a relative (who was a
>> > fishmonger).
>> >
>> > I've always wondered if the movie Stigmata had any truth to it.
>> > Particularly in regards to declaring a book of Jesus's own words
>> > to be fake.
>>
>> Actually, why do you make the distinction between Catholics and
>Christians?
>
>Actually it was tens of thousands of people who made the distincition with
>their own blood during the reformation period in europe. I myself don't
>belong to any relgion, but I get your point. Seems to me that there are a
>big variety of christians and catholics, some conservative, some liberal,
>and very few following church dogma to the letter many times not even really
>knowing what most of the beliefs are. Back up another 10,000 feet and islam
>and other other religions also look the same as christianity with their
>insistance in absolute values which allegedly come from god (but
>interepreted and enforced by man) but then then get changed by each
>generation that follows.

Spoken like a man who has never believed in anything but himself. Well done
mate! ;-p (you're about as close to the mark with your understanding above
as a 38 snub nose at 500 yards - you need to read less, pretend you know
even less & listen a whole lot more, if you ever want to learn *anything*
about religion; so rest safe knowing you're like most other heathens :)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

April 22, 2005 1:13:29 AM

> Spoken like a man who has never believed in anything but himself. Well
> done
> mate! ;-p (you're about as close to the mark with your understanding above
> as a 38 snub nose at 500 yards - you need to read less, pretend you know
> even less & listen a whole lot more, if you ever want to learn *anything*
> about religion; so rest safe knowing you're like most other heathens :)
>
> --
Wow... who are you to judge? What are you afraid of? To tell someone to
'read less'? And just exactly 'who' should he listen to? Who should he
'learn' from? Ultimately we ALL teach ourselves... and learn ourselves... by
making value decisions about the things we live, learn, experience, and
struggle with in life. That is what life is all about. NOT blindly following
or listening to anyone else unconditionally.
Your statements that he should 'read less' and 'pretend you know even less'
is typical of anyone that wants to take political control over someone else.
Here's a good suggestion for you: read 'Age of Reason' by Thomas Paine.
John
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:13:29 AM

> Thus spake "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053>, Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:12:08 -0400, Anno
> Domini:
>

> >"John A. Mason" <jamason56@MYearthlink.net> wrote in message
> >if
> >molestations,

> >> Actually, why do you make the distinction between Catholics and
> >Christians?
> >
> >Actually it was tens of thousands of people who made the distincition
with
> >their own blood during the reformation period in europe. I myself don't
> >belong to any relgion, but I get your point. Seems to me that there are
> >big variety of christians and catholics, some conservative, some liberal,
> >and very few following church dogma to the letter many times not even
really
> >knowing what most of the beliefs are. Back up another 10,000 feet and
islam
> >and other other religions also look the same as christianity with their
> >insistance in absolute values which allegedly come from god (but
> >interepreted and enforced by man) but then then get changed by each
> >generation that follows.
>
> Spoken like a man who has never believed in anything but himself. Well
done
> mate! ;-p (you're about as close to the mark with your understanding above
> as a 38 snub nose at 500 yards - you need to read less, pretend you know
> even less & listen a whole lot more, if you ever want to learn *anything*
> about religion; so rest safe knowing you're like most other heathens :)

Your personal attacks do nothing to support your POV whatever that may be.
For the record, I have a strong belief in life after death and spirituality
in general. I also, on the whole, believe in the concepts and ideas
purposed by Jesus, however I seem to take away a different understanding
than do most christians.

> --
> A killfile is a friend for life.
>
> Replace 'spamfree' with the other word for 'maze' to reply via email.
April 22, 2005 1:13:29 AM

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
> Thus spake "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053>, Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:12:08 -0400, Anno
> Domini:
>

>>"John A. Mason" <jamason56@MYearthlink.net> wrote in message
>>if
>>molestations,

>>> Actually, why do you make the distinction between Catholics and
>>Christians?
>>
>>Actually it was tens of thousands of people who made the distincition with
>>their own blood during the reformation period in europe. I myself don't
>>belong to any relgion, but I get your point. Seems to me that there are a
>>big variety of christians and catholics, some conservative, some liberal,
>>and very few following church dogma to the letter many times not even
>>really
>>knowing what most of the beliefs are. Back up another 10,000 feet and
>>islam
>>and other other religions also look the same as christianity with their
>>insistance in absolute values which allegedly come from god (but
>>interepreted and enforced by man) but then then get changed by each
>>generation that follows.
>
> Spoken like a man who has never believed in anything but himself. Well
> done
> mate! ;-p (you're about as close to the mark with your understanding above
> as a 38 snub nose at 500 yards - you need to read less, pretend you know
> even less & listen a whole lot more, if you ever want to learn *anything*
> about religion; so rest safe knowing you're like most other heathens :)

Yeah, because believing in yourself is just bad! That's pretty pathetic,
you weenie. But then, the church wants you to feel like you need this
magical entity in the clouds to reward you when you do good and punish you
when you violate their arbitrary morality. Kind of like when parents give
candy to good children and send them to their rooms when they are naughty.
Also guarantees that tithing money to support their parasitic lifestyles off
the ignorant.

Grow up. Santa Claus is a myth, too. So's the tooth fairy. Only sheep
need a sheperd.

turk
--
" My last vestige of "hands off religion" respect disappeared in the smoke
and choking dust of September 11th 2001, followed by the "National Day of

Thus spake "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053>, Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:16:51 -0400, Anno
Domini:

>"Les Steel" <a@aolnot.com> wrote in message
>>

>> >Back up another 10,000 feet and islam
>> > and other other religions also look the same as christianity with their
>> > insistance in absolute values which allegedly come from god (but
>> > interepreted and enforced by man) but then then get changed by each
>> > generation that follows.
>> >

>> But still they always discriminate against Women.
>
>Well of course. In another hundred years the next generation will look back
>on many of "today's" teachings as obsolete and dated while still holding
>onto other absolutes. Tomorrows christians will go on believing as usual
>finding no problem with the hypocracy or the relative way in which so-called
>absolute truths are either abandoned or intrepreted into an unrecognizable
>state as each new generation comes along. But you can be sure that the
>beliefs of the day (whatever the day) will continue to be used to tell
>others how they should and shouldn't behave and people of that day will
>assert that their beliefs are absolute and certainly must be the one
>exception to the long history of changing beliefs.

With one misbegotten breath you accuse all Christian individuals of the sins
of the many & the Church (Catholic mainly) & judge each of them by the
history they never made nor were a part of. Mate, you're bigger & better
than God himself!

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

April 22, 2005 1:15:55 AM

>>> But still they always discriminate against Women.
>>
>>Well of course. In another hundred years the next generation will look
>>back
>>on many of "today's" teachings as obsolete and dated while still holding
>>onto other absolutes. Tomorrows christians will go on believing as usual
>>finding no problem with the hypocracy or the relative way in which
>>so-called
>>absolute truths are either abandoned or intrepreted into an unrecognizable
>>state as each new generation comes along. But you can be sure that the
>>beliefs of the day (whatever the day) will continue to be used to tell
>>others how they should and shouldn't behave and people of that day will
>>assert that their beliefs are absolute and certainly must be the one
>>exception to the long history of changing beliefs.
>
> With one misbegotten breath you accuse all Christian individuals of the
> sins
> of the many & the Church (Catholic mainly) & judge each of them by the
> history they never made nor were a part of. Mate, you're bigger & better
> than God himself!
>
> --
Nostromo,
I don't believe that's what he's done. He is generalizing about the
organized religion as an entity.
The religion is made up of individuals, each of whom decides how to behave,
what to believe, etc.
There are good and bad individuals in every entity. My mom was the most
loyal, faithful, believing Roman Catholic I ever knew... yet she was the
most non-judgmental person I've ever know. I never could quite understand
it. What I have come to understand is that people can belong to any
organized religion and still 'be themselves'... i.e. take from it what they
wish. No one needs to blindly accept any dogma. I find 95% of the people in
the world to be decent human beings, regardless of their religious
affiliation (or none). It's the other 5% that cause all of the trouble in
the world.
Specifically to your point... many folks will review the history of a
religion, and decide from that review if it is something that they wish to
propagate and/or continue. Knowing that all things are imperfect, there is
subjectivism in making that decision.

John
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:15:55 AM

> Thus spake "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053>, Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:16:51 -0400, Anno
> Domini:
>

> >"Les Steel" <a@aolnot.com> wrote in message

> >> But still they always discriminate against Women.
> >
> >Well of course. In another hundred years the next generation will look
back
> >on many of "today's" teachings as obsolete and dated while still holding
> >onto other absolutes. Tomorrows christians will go on believing as usual
> >finding no problem with the hypocracy or the relative way in which
so-called
> >absolute truths are either abandoned or intrepreted into an
unrecognizable
> >state as each new generation comes along. But you can be sure that the
> >beliefs of the day (whatever the day) will continue to be used to tell
> >others how they should and shouldn't behave and people of that day will
> >assert that their beliefs are absolute and certainly must be the one
> >exception to the long history of changing beliefs.
>
> With one misbegotten breath you accuse all Christian individuals of the
sins
> of the many & the Church (Catholic mainly) & judge each of them by the
> history they never made nor were a part of.

I was speaking generally. There are other faith beside christian ones who
claim a certain about of exculsiveness and which claim their view are
absolute yet they find their dogma changes over time as society goes through
moral and spirtual evolution shedding the outdated beliefs. I don't look at
Catholic actions as SINS... looking at life from that perspective is, to me,
one the perspectives which will one day be shed.

More generally, there's a certain amount of responsibility you take on when
you allot yourself with any given group. For example, as an american, I
talk about american history in terms of we even though I wasn't alive or old
enough to be a real part of history that came before my birth.

> Mate, you're bigger & better
> than God himself!

Oh, well, thank you.

> --
> A killfile is a friend for life.
>
> Replace 'spamfree' with the other word for 'maze' to reply via email.
April 22, 2005 1:18:56 AM

Thus spake "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net>, Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:36:54
-0700, Anno Domini:

>The first "Chrisitians" were all Jewish -- including Yeshua (which is closer
>to how his name was pronounced when he was alive). They went to temple (the
>one in Jerusalem), observed Passover (the Last Supper, was, in fact a
>Passover observance).

Tradition & forms change. The essence & spirit of Christianity has not in
2000 years, just ask any real Christian. But good luck finding one ;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

April 22, 2005 1:18:57 AM

>>The first "Chrisitians" were all Jewish -- including Yeshua (which is
>>closer
>>to how his name was pronounced when he was alive). They went to temple
>>(the
>>one in Jerusalem), observed Passover (the Last Supper, was, in fact a
>>Passover observance).
>
> Tradition & forms change. The essence & spirit of Christianity has not in
> 2000 years, just ask any real Christian. But good luck finding one ;-)

Nostromo,
Seriously, what is your definition of a 'real Christian'. What do they
believe? How do they live their lives? What are their thoughts about human
beings and life? I assume you consider yourself one (perhaps I'm being
presumptuous). I look forward to your thoughts.
John
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:18:58 AM

> >>The first "Chrisitians" were all Jewish -- including Yeshua (which is
> >>closer
> >>to how his name was pronounced when he was alive). They went to temple
> >>(the
> >>one in Jerusalem), observed Passover (the Last Supper, was, in fact a
> >>Passover observance).
> >
> > Tradition & forms change. The essence & spirit of Christianity has not
in
> > 2000 years, just ask any real Christian. But good luck finding one ;-)
>
> Nostromo,
> Seriously, what is your definition of a 'real Christian'.

That's the point isn't it. Sure are a lot of different churches desendent
from those first group of real christians. The more you try to put your
finger on it, more you'll be able to see it change year after year. Best to
keep the concept as vague as possilbe as to make it easy to defend and easy
to identify with.

>What do they
> believe? How do they live their lives? What are their thoughts about human
> beings and life? I assume you consider yourself one (perhaps I'm being
> presumptuous). I look forward to your thoughts.
> John

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:32:29 AM

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 15:03:16 -0600, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>How so?

It is fact:
1) Millions of people die of AIDS in Africa every year
http://www.avert.org/aafrica.htm
2) There is a huge Catholic population in Africa (135 million)
3) AIDS can be prevented with condoms
3) At least SOME of group 1) overlaps with group 2), and some of them
do so because they listen to their church leader telling them not to
use 3)

It is a fact that if the Catholic church endorsed condom use, less of
these people would die. Therefore they are partly responsible.
April 22, 2005 1:40:15 AM

Thus spake "Dirty Redpool" <dirtredpooll@something.something>, Thu, 21 Apr
2005 11:30:15 GMT, Anno Domini:

>Alfred Pum wrote:
>> "Dirty Redpool" <dirtredpooll@something.something> schrieb im
>> Newsbeitrag news:stB9e.1085263$8l.32914@pd7tw1no...
>>
>>> http://www.kartinki.cz/images/503_014_prasa_popespree_1...
>>
>> LOL, Thnx!
>
>NP. lol

That is funny - even to a Christian! >;-)))

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

April 22, 2005 3:03:26 AM

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
>I wish to publicly apologize for spreading the link to that distasteful
> image of Quake 3. I thought, at the time, that it was humorous (while
> realizing it was tasteless), but it is really NOT funny. I apologize to
> all
> Christians everywhere and to anyone who might have been offended by the
> picture. I hope that the person who made the picture can understand how it
> is hurtful to people. I am not a very religious person but I do believe in
> God, but sometimes I just need a reminder of it. I got my reminder in
> spades this week, and I hope that God will forgive me for carelessly
> spreading hate. I especially want to apologize to Catholics and hope that
> they can see it in their heart to forgive my transgression.

Do you apologize to Santa when you get angry because he brought you the
wrong gift? Do you say you're sorry to the Tooth Fairy when you curse her
for not leaving enough money for your tooth? Did you offer regrets to the
Easter Bunny when you got angey because he hid the eggs too well?

Grow up, man. Only children need fairy tales.

turk
--
The Riddle of Epicurus
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.

Thus spake "John A. Mason" <jamason56@MYearthlink.net>, Thu, 21 Apr 2005
15:26:36 GMT, Anno Domini:

>> Spoken like a man who has never believed in anything but himself. Well
>> done
>> mate! ;-p (you're about as close to the mark with your understanding above
>> as a 38 snub nose at 500 yards - you need to read less, pretend you know
>> even less & listen a whole lot more, if you ever want to learn *anything*
>> about religion; so rest safe knowing you're like most other heathens :)
>>
>> --
>Wow... who are you to judge? What are you afraid of? To tell someone to
>'read less'? And just exactly 'who' should he listen to? Who should he
>'learn' from? Ultimately we ALL teach ourselves... and learn ourselves... by
>making value decisions about the things we live, learn, experience, and
>struggle with in life. That is what life is all about. NOT blindly following
>or listening to anyone else unconditionally.

I can't begin to argue with you on how many levels that dogma is just
plain...wrong. But you're free to believe what you want, most assuredly.

>Your statements that he should 'read less' and 'pretend you know even less'
>is typical of anyone that wants to take political control over someone else.
>Here's a good suggestion for you: read 'Age of Reason' by Thomas Paine.
>John

I've read plenty my boy. I was referring to making value judgments about
Christians on the basis of what he reads on UseNet or in a secular book or
sees on TV, instead of actually getting to know *real* Christians firsthand,
or *shock/horror* reaching out to a God of his understanding & seeing what
he has to say to him. Faith is not found or justified by reason. *That's*
the beginning of Wisdom, which so many would-be intellectual masturbators of
the past century will never understand, may God have mercy on their souls.
;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

April 22, 2005 11:30:08 AM

Thus spake "John A. Mason" <jamason56@MYearthlink.net>, Thu, 21 Apr 2005
15:30:20 GMT, Anno Domini:

>>> bible. Brilliant!

>>> Good to see you can judge a man's heart & soul w/o ever having been
>>> within a thousand miles (probably) of either. Of the hypocrisy, the
>>> irony, the sorrow! :)
>>
>> Sorry Nostromo, but thank you for playing. We have some lovely parting
>> gifts for you including a year's supply of D'artagnian's Onion Rings,
>> Ronco's Bondage-in-a-Bottle, it won't chip, it won't slip, it won't
>> crack, it won't peel, it won't fade, and a new, new, absolutely brand
>> new, new, and of course but also, A NEW CAR!
>>

>LMAO! Nostromo is so afraid of something.... it's amazing how transparent
>he/she/it is.
>John

Don't confuse righteous anger with your silly notions of fear. I only fear 2
people in this life...

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

April 22, 2005 11:30:09 AM

> Thus spake "John A. Mason" <jamason56@MYearthlink.net>, Thu, 21 Apr 2005
> 15:30:20 GMT, Anno Domini:

>>> Sorry Nostromo, but thank you for playing. We have some lovely parting
>>> gifts for you including a year's supply of D'artagnian's Onion Rings,
>>> Ronco's Bondage-in-a-Bottle, it won't chip, it won't slip, it won't
>>> crack, it won't peel, it won't fade, and a new, new, absolutely brand
>>> new, new, and of course but also, A NEW CAR!
>>>

>>LMAO! Nostromo is so afraid of something.... it's amazing how transparent
>>he/she/it is.
>>John
>
> Don't confuse righteous anger with your silly notions of fear. I only fear
> 2
> people in this life...

Can I have that new car of yours when the Rapture comes?

turk
---
"Think not that I come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but
a sword." - Matthew 10:28
April 22, 2005 11:33:35 AM

Thus spake "John A. Mason" <jamason56@MYearthlink.net>, Thu, 21 Apr 2005
15:32:15 GMT, Anno Domini:

>>>The first "Chrisitians" were all Jewish -- including Yeshua (which is
>>>closer
>>>to how his name was pronounced when he was alive). They went to temple
>>>(the
>>>one in Jerusalem), observed Passover (the Last Supper, was, in fact a
>>>Passover observance).
>>
>> Tradition & forms change. The essence & spirit of Christianity has not in
>> 2000 years, just ask any real Christian. But good luck finding one ;-)
>
>Nostromo,
>Seriously, what is your definition of a 'real Christian'. What do they
>believe? How do they live their lives? What are their thoughts about human
>beings and life? I assume you consider yourself one (perhaps I'm being
>presumptuous). I look forward to your thoughts.
>John

What anyone has to say here on *this* topic will make no difference to
anyone else whatsoever. The sooner most ppl starting stoopid religious
threads realise that the better. This medium is a great one for casting
pearls, but not gems.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

April 22, 2005 11:36:03 AM

Thus spake OldDog <OldDog@city.pound.com>, Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:24:57 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:21:00 +1000, Nostromo
><nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:
>
>>Thus spake OldDog <OldDog@city.pound.com>, Thu, 21 Apr 2005 06:20:20 GMT,
>>Anno Domini:
><snip>
>>>So many faiths, sects, factions, and churches out there that is a game
>>>of chance as to figuring out which one is selling the turth. You can
>>>only hope and pray that you've rolled the dice correctly.
>>
>>Or you could use Faith & God's Word...astounding ey!?
>>

>Oh, I've read his words. And I've heard ten different interpretations
>from ten different people on a single scripture. :(
>
>Using my faith and limited wisdom, that it would make it 11 different
>interpretations. :)

Ahhh, but then you'd actually be taking the first tiny baby step on the path
to Conversion (which I know is a dirty word to most ppl). If your
interpretation, no matter how flawed, takes you that step closer to God,
then I'd go with yourself, not the other babblers mate ;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

April 22, 2005 11:36:04 AM

> Thus spake OldDog <OldDog@city.pound.com>, Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:24:57 GMT,
> Anno Domini:
>
> >On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:21:00 +1000, Nostromo
> ><nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:
> >
> >>Thus spake OldDog <OldDog@city.pound.com>, Thu, 21 Apr 2005 06:20:20
GMT,
> >>Anno Domini:
> ><snip>
> >>
> >>Or you could use Faith & God's Word...astounding ey!?
> >>

> >Oh, I've read his words. And I've heard ten different interpretations
> >from ten different people on a single scripture. :(
> >
> >Using my faith and limited wisdom, that it would make it 11 different
> >interpretations. :)
>
> Ahhh, but then you'd actually be taking the first tiny baby step on the
path
> to Conversion (which I know is a dirty word to most ppl). If your
> interpretation, no matter how flawed, takes you that step closer to God,
> then I'd go with yourself, not the other babblers mate ;-)

Perhaps on man's steps closer to god will take him further from your point
of view as has happened to many people who have been raised "christian" only
to question the teachings, look within, and discover what rings truth for
them is something quite different than what you are talking about. In your
arrogance you assume that the truth you have discovered for you must be true
for everyone.

> --
> A killfile is a friend for life.
>
> Replace 'spamfree' with the other word for 'maze' to reply via email.
April 22, 2005 11:38:24 AM

Thus spake Joe62 <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca>, Thu, 21 Apr 2005
17:17:03 GMT, Anno Domini:

>On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:20:56 GMT, "Dirty Redpool"
><dirtredpooll@something.something> wrote:
>
>>http://www.kartinki.cz/images/503_014_prasa_popespree_1...
>
>That is eff'ing brilliant! Since the old bugger (JP that is, not God)
>has been partly responsible for the death of *millions* by AIDS in
>Africa, I say good riddance. To bad his succesor is no less
>bloodthirsty.

You've missed that little thing called Free Will Joe...again. People kill
ppl (& introduced disease into the world), not God. At least get the basic,
simple theology right if you want to have any credibility here, rather than
just spouting passive-aggressive, misguided, heathen opinions ;-p

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

April 22, 2005 5:19:30 PM

Thus spake "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053>, Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:13:36 -0400, Anno
Domini:

>> Spoken like a man who has never believed in anything but himself. Well
>done
>> mate! ;-p (you're about as close to the mark with your understanding above
>> as a 38 snub nose at 500 yards - you need to read less, pretend you know
>> even less & listen a whole lot more, if you ever want to learn *anything*
>> about religion; so rest safe knowing you're like most other heathens :)
>
>Your personal attacks do nothing to support your POV whatever that may be.

I'm not here to spread the truth. I'm here to kick ass & chew bubble-gum!
Anyone got any bubble-gum?

>For the record, I have a strong belief in life after death and spirituality
>in general. I also, on the whole, believe in the concepts and ideas
>purposed by Jesus, however I seem to take away a different understanding
>than do most christians.

Good for you! But don't blame the institutional church which carried the
message & the truth through 2 thousand years of, admittedly, very mixed
Christian history. If it wasn't for their Faith & tenacity (& ruthlessness
no doubt) we might all still be in the dark ages...

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

April 22, 2005 5:21:11 PM

Thus spake "turk" <turk96@comcast.net>, Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:47:08 -0500,
Anno Domini:

>Yeah, because believing in yourself is just bad! That's pretty pathetic,
>you weenie. But then, the church wants you to feel like you need this
>magical entity in the clouds to reward you when you do good and punish you
>when you violate their arbitrary morality. Kind of like when parents give
>candy to good children and send them to their rooms when they are naughty.
>Also guarantees that tithing money to support their parasitic lifestyles off
>the ignorant.
>
>Grow up. Santa Claus is a myth, too. So's the tooth fairy. Only sheep
>need a sheperd.
>
>turk

The great thing about Usenet - idiots always speak for themselves!

Learn how to snip philistine. Pfft!

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

April 22, 2005 5:22:29 PM

Thus spake "turk" <turk96@comcast.net>, Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:37:47 -0500,
Anno Domini:

>"Think not that I come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but
>a sword." - Matthew 10:28

Pity you have NFI what that means...

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

April 22, 2005 5:22:30 PM

> Thus spake "turk" <turk96@comcast.net>, Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:37:47 -0500,
> Anno Domini:
>

>>"Think not that I come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace,
>>but
>>a sword." - Matthew 10:28
>
> Pity you have NFI what that means...

Pity you think you do. The Bible is the most filty, disgusting piece of
drivel written by savages not even capable of explaining the rain who were
more interested in subverting the poor and stupid. It's filled with
genocide, murder, infanticide, sexual perversion, bigotry, sexism, slavery
and human and animal sacrifice, not to mention all those absurdities...and
yet half-wits like you turn to it for moral guidance.

I've actually read it through. That's why I reject it as immoral mythology.
But I'd be happy to produce other passages that you'd have to pretend don't
mean what they say so you can continue with your grand delusions.

Now don't you have a burning bush to talk to some where?

turk
--
Ezekiel 23:20 " There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like
those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

>> Nostromo,
>> Seriously, what is your definition of a 'real Christian'.
>
> That's the point isn't it. Sure are a lot of different churches desendent
> from those first group of real christians. The more you try to put your
> finger on it, more you'll be able to see it change year after year. Best
> keep the concept as vague as possilbe as to make it easy to defend and
> easy
> to identify with.

What is the point or value or worth in 'defending' something 'vague'? What
worth is there in identifying with something that is 'easy' to identify
with? I can identify with you in that we both require oxygen and breath
regularly.... so what? I think you were being facetious here, but I'm not
sure I agree that Christians (or other religions) keep their dogmas 'vague'.
There may be many variations, but the core of the beliefs are not vague.
Faith and unquestioned allegiance are key factors. What they defend is not
vague in their minds, but very clear. It may seem vague to use, but we must
respect their beliefs as long as they do no harm to others.
John
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 6:28:44 PM

>>>Or you could use Faith & God's Word...astounding ey!?
>>>

>>Oh, I've read his words. And I've heard ten different interpretations
>>from ten different people on a single scripture. :(
>>
>>Using my faith and limited wisdom, that it would make it 11 different
>>interpretations. :)
>
> Ahhh, but then you'd actually be taking the first tiny baby step on the
> path
> to Conversion (which I know is a dirty word to most ppl). If your
> interpretation, no matter how flawed, takes you that step closer to God,
> then I'd go with yourself, not the other babblers mate ;-)

I was indoctrinated as a Roman Catholic/Christian (no difference in my
mind). I have read the Bible... it was (and is) a torturous experience for
me. It is a horrible book. It most certainly is *not* the word of God. It is
but a history written by men meant to exercise political control over
'sheep' by using fear and punishment as tools to control the masses. The
whole premise is a myth and a fairytale, as someone else in this thread has
pointed out. The person I've most connected to in my thoughts on the book is
Thomas Paine. He's written and expressed my thoughts better than I could
myself (with perhaps a bit more vehemence than I would use).

I do agree that *any* step that takes you closer to God is a good step. My
belief is that there are many steps we can take in life that bring us closer
to God. And it is my belief that we must all learn those steps on our own...
through our own life's experiences... and by making reasonable judgments
about the experiences of those that came before us.

John
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 6:32:24 PM

> Perhaps on man's steps closer to god will take him further from your point
> of view as has happened to many people who have been raised "christian"
> only
> to question the teachings, look within, and discover what rings truth for
> them is something quite different than what you are talking about. In
> your
> arrogance you assume that the truth you have discovered for you must be
> true
> for everyone.

I agree... precisely. Everyone must reach their own conclusions. No one has
a right to judge another's beliefs. As long as the differences are respected
and we do no harm towards one another, then so be it. To preach your
'truths' as the 'One Truth' is indeed arrogance... and to try and convert
others is also arrogance.
John
April 22, 2005 7:03:57 PM

Thus spake "turk" <turk96@comcast.net>, Thu, 21 Apr 2005 22:48:59 -0500,
Anno Domini:

>"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
>> Thus spake "turk" <turk96@comcast.net>, Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:37:47 -0500,
>> Anno Domini:
>>

>>>"Think not that I come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace,
>>>but
>>>a sword." - Matthew 10:28
>>
>> Pity you have NFI what that means...
>
>Pity you think you do. The Bible is the most filty, disgusting piece of
>drivel written by savages not even capable of explaining the rain who were
>more interested in subverting the poor and stupid. It's filled with
>genocide, murder, infanticide, sexual perversion, bigotry, sexism, slavery
>and human and animal sacrifice, not to mention all those absurdities

You actually made a 75% true statement finally! The Bible is a testament to
Man's failure to save himself. It is not a book of life nor a book of moral
lessons. It is also the Gospel in about 5% of it. Here endeth the lesson.

....and
>yet half-wits like you turn to it for moral guidance.

See above. If I had half a wit I wouldn't bother with you.

>I've actually read it through. That's why I reject it as immoral mythology.
>But I'd be happy to produce other passages that you'd have to pretend don't
>mean what they say so you can continue with your grand delusions.

How's that workin for ya so far? Had much joy or luck outta life? >;-p

>Now don't you have a burning bush to talk to some where?

Need paper. Pity Usenet isn't printed on it...

--
A killfile is a friend for life.