hard drive compatibility

inversion

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
please help!
gigabyte 5aa (w/500mhz processor added thanks to you people overclocked to 524 mhz )
Ali chipset
2 harddrives...1@ 8 gigs and 1 @ 1 gig

Voodoo 5 55oo
win 98
I need to install more memory.
Was told that 13 gigs is all the motherboard would rec. and was told by some one else it would recognize 30 gigs.
what is the best idea for memory i can use and how?
can i put two bigger harddrives and at what speed?
thank you for your time, you have helped me so much already.

bvoyek

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
Here is a <A HREF="http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/products/ga5aa.htm" target="_new">link</A> to the product page for your motherboard. Your board uses the ATA/ATAPI 5 stanard so you should have no problem using even 100GB drives. Just remember that if you buy a UltraDMA 5/ATA 100 it's performance will be reduced to UltraDMA 4/ATA 66 because that's all the board supports.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
RE: <font color=blue>“…Just remember that if you buy a UltraDMA 5/ATA 100 it's performance will be reduced to UltraDMA 4/ATA 66 because that's all the board supports…”</font color=blue>

From my own tests and benchmarks on my old PCs even on those that do not have UATA support at all (from P-100 through P-266MMXo/c to PII-333o/c on i430NX, i430VX, i440BX and other different Intel and SiS platforms) :

Every newer generation of UATA harddrive always shows better performance in comparison with the drive of previous generation.

So, it’s very simple:
not necessarily a motherboard supports newer UATA standards, but
an UATA/33 HDD is always faster than any PIO-limited HDD, and an UATA/66 is faster than UATA/33, and UATA/100 is faster than UATA/66 on the same machine.

That’s what I got. An I feel that newer harddrives work more smoothly than those that were originally installed on my systems.