SWAT4: These are the dumbest cops since the Police Academy..

If real cops act like this, it's no wonder crime is out of hand.

Currently working on the hotel under renovations and my guys seem
totally clueless.
Tell them to mirror under a room door and they see an armed suspect
and a civilian. I tell them to bang and clear and they run past the
armed suspect and focus on the civilian. I follow them in and get shot
in the back by the guy they ignored. :(

Next try: They mirror the door and see an armed suspect. I tell them
to bang and clear. They see the stunned suspect and stand there
pointing guns at him yelling for him to give up. They keep yelling
till they both get shot without firing on him.

Next try: They mirror the door and see an armed suspect. I tell them
to bang and clear. Next they get into a struggle with the suspect in
the doorway. Since he's not giving up and my guys aren't shooting, I
take a shot at him. I nick one of my guys but he's still standing.
Next thing I'm dead because the blue team decided to avenge my bad
shooting and killed me. They won't shoot a suspect but they have no
problem killing their team leader.

Of course you never want to take the lead with these morons. If you
need to back up in a hurry you can count on them being in the way.

Not to mention they're like 2nd graders if you're standing in THEIR
spot. They're in the swat team and they're going to have a fit if they
have to stand 6" from where they want to.

At this point I'm ready to join the terrorists and start shooting at
the cops. :(

Remove nospam_ to reply by email

Jeff H........

Lies, All lies. Don't believe a word Difool/sayNO says.
He fears the truth!

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003

"Jeff Holinski" <nospam_Holinski@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> If real cops act like this, it's no wonder crime is out of hand.
>
> Currently working on the hotel under renovations and my guys seem
> totally clueless.
> Tell them to mirror under a room door and they see an armed suspect
> and a civilian. I tell them to bang and clear and they run past the
> armed suspect and focus on the civilian. I follow them in and get shot
> in the back by the guy they ignored. :(
>
> Next try: They mirror the door and see an armed suspect. I tell them
> to bang and clear. They see the stunned suspect and stand there
> pointing guns at him yelling for him to give up. They keep yelling
> till they both get shot without firing on him.
>
> Next try: They mirror the door and see an armed suspect. I tell them
> to bang and clear. Next they get into a struggle with the suspect in
> the doorway. Since he's not giving up and my guys aren't shooting, I
> take a shot at him. I nick one of my guys but he's still standing.
> Next thing I'm dead because the blue team decided to avenge my bad
> shooting and killed me. They won't shoot a suspect but they have no
> problem killing their team leader.
>
> Of course you never want to take the lead with these morons. If you
> need to back up in a hurry you can count on them being in the way.
>
> Not to mention they're like 2nd graders if you're standing in THEIR
> spot. They're in the swat team and they're going to have a fit if they
> have to stand 6" from where they want to.
>
> At this point I'm ready to join the terrorists and start shooting at
> the cops. :(

Haha...yeah, I get that same impression. I bought this game despite my luke
warm reception of the demo (not many squad based shooters lately, unless
they are Star Wars) and the AI is pretty sickening. If I hear "Boss, you're
in my way" one more f*%cking time! Yeah, I'm the boss, so move the f*%k
over a few inches, Einstein!

And I still can't believe they cuff civilians and leave them there while
armed suspects are running around looking for a hostage. Of course, the
suspects never actually take the gift-wrapped civilians hostage even if they
happen to find them, despite them being the last criminal and 5 SWAT guys
are chasing them and the building outside is surrounded. Brilliant.

The AI in this game is garbage. It's not unplayable, but the suspension of
reality is asking waaaay too much.

turk
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great

Andrew

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 01:09:42 -0500, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote:

>The AI in this game is garbage. It's not unplayable, but the suspension of
>reality is asking waaaay too much.

I don't know if it is me, but the AI in the full game seems worse than
the demo, at least in terms of your squad getting in your way. I
wouldn't call the AI garbage, it is still better than the vast
majority of FPS games, but it could use a bit of tweaking to make it
much less frustrating to play.

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 01:09:42 -0500, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>The AI in this game is garbage. It's not unplayable, but the suspension
>>of
>>reality is asking waaaay too much.
>
> I don't know if it is me, but the AI in the full game seems worse than
> the demo, at least in terms of your squad getting in your way. I
> wouldn't call the AI garbage, it is still better than the vast
> majority of FPS games, but it could use a bit of tweaking to make it
> much less frustrating to play.

How can my squad mates automatically tell the difference between a suspect
and a civilian when they mirror under the door and yet, they will rush into
the same room they just mirrored and point a gun at a civilian and ignore a
suspect? That's inexcusable. This is a squad based game that depends on
AI, not a simple FPS...at least it was supposed to be. I'm not saying the
game has no merits, but the further I get into this game, the more difficult
the missions and the more I need to depend on the AI not to act like George
Bush Jr. in a crisis.

turk
--

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 01:34:08 -0500, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote:

>How can my squad mates automatically tell the difference between a suspect
>and a civilian when they mirror under the door and yet, they will rush into
>the same room they just mirrored and point a gun at a civilian and ignore a
>suspect? That's inexcusable. This is a squad based game that depends on
>AI, not a simple FPS...at least it was supposed to be. I'm not saying the
>game has no merits, but the further I get into this game, the more difficult
>the missions and the more I need to depend on the AI not to act like George
>Bush Jr. in a crisis.

LOL, true :)

Personally, much more of an issue for me than AI is performance. The
demo ran great at max details. With the full game I have to run it on
low settings to get it playable which I am very unhappy about.

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 01:34:08 -0500, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>How can my squad mates automatically tell the difference between a suspect
>>and a civilian when they mirror under the door and yet, they will rush
>>into
>>the same room they just mirrored and point a gun at a civilian and ignore
>>suspect? That's inexcusable. This is a squad based game that depends on
>>AI, not a simple FPS...at least it was supposed to be. I'm not saying the
>>game has no merits, but the further I get into this game, the more
>>difficult
>>the missions and the more I need to depend on the AI not to act like
>>George
>>Bush Jr. in a crisis.
>
> LOL, true :)
>
> Personally, much more of an issue for me than AI is performance. The
> demo ran great at max details. With the full game I have to run it on
> low settings to get it playable which I am very unhappy about.

I haven't had any performance issues other than the fact it doesn't seem to
like Zonealarm, even if I give it full access to the net. Locks up on
startup even with the No-CD crack unless I turn ZA off. I run it at full
details across the board with no problems (AMD 64 3500+, 1 gig, 256mb Radeon
6800).

turk

"Jeff Holinski" <nospam_Holinski@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> If real cops act like this, it's no wonder crime is out of hand.

> Currently working on the hotel under renovations and my guys seem
> totally clueless.

[3 scenarios deleted]

You're using the wrong tools for the job, bro.

Pop the suspect with a less-than-lethal shotgun (i.e. beanbag gun) and
we'll see if he gives up or not.

Or use the taser. That always works.

Or toss in the tear gas grenade. Flash-bangs are too short-lived for my
taste any way.

--KC

Andrew

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 02:20:44 -0500, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote:

>I haven't had any performance issues other than the fact it doesn't seem to
>like Zonealarm, even if I give it full access to the net. Locks up on
>startup even with the No-CD crack unless I turn ZA off. I run it at full
>details across the board with no problems (AMD 64 3500+, 1 gig, 256mb Radeon
>6800).

That sounds like business as usual with ZA, my advice would be to dump
it and go with Sygate. I see so many problems reported with ZA it
isn't worth the bother.

I have just been looking at the forums for the game and it seems
people either get great framerates or inexplicably low ones like I
get, something got majorly screwed up between demo and full release.
What kills me, literally in game, is that if not playing in low
quality mode, often when I am approaching a hostile the frame rate
plummets to 1 fps and I am dead before I can aim and shoot.

Andrew

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 07:35:13 GMT, "Kasey Chang \(remove EATSPAM to
reply\)" <kschang77@eatspamhotmail.com> wrote:

>Or use the taser. That always works.

Not always. I tasered a hostile the other day, while I was waiting for
him to comply my squad were getting shot at so I turned to look what
was happening and the guy I had tasered shot me!

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 07:47:02 GMT, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 07:35:13 GMT, "Kasey Chang \(remove EATSPAM to
>reply\)" <kschang77@eatspamhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Or use the taser. That always works.
>
>Not always. I tasered a hostile the other day, while I was waiting for
>him to comply my squad were getting shot at so I turned to look what
>was happening and the guy I had tasered shot me!

I've had to taser several suspects twice, all the while he's got 4
MP5s pointed at him and he still won't drop the gun. Why not a bit
like reality, either he drops the gun or they just shoot him and keep
moving. An entire SWAT team doesn't have 3 minutes during a dynamic
entry to deal with a single suspect when there are a dozen suspects in
the building with full auto weapons and can hear civilians being
killed in the other rooms while they dick around with one guy who
won't drop his gun.

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 04:47:41 GMT, Jeff Holinski
<nospam_Holinski@shaw.ca> wrote:

>If real cops act like this, it's no wonder crime is out of hand.
>
>Currently working on the hotel under renovations and my guys seem
>totally clueless.
>Tell them to mirror under a room door and they see an armed suspect
>and a civilian. I tell them to bang and clear and they run past the
>armed suspect and focus on the civilian. I follow them in and get shot
>in the back by the guy they ignored. :(
>
>Next try: They mirror the door and see an armed suspect. I tell them
>to bang and clear. They see the stunned suspect and stand there
>pointing guns at him yelling for him to give up. They keep yelling
>till they both get shot without firing on him.
>
>Next try: They mirror the door and see an armed suspect. I tell them
>to bang and clear. Next they get into a struggle with the suspect in
>the doorway. Since he's not giving up and my guys aren't shooting, I
>take a shot at him. I nick one of my guys but he's still standing.
>Next thing I'm dead because the blue team decided to avenge my bad
>shooting and killed me. They won't shoot a suspect but they have no
>problem killing their team leader.
>
>Of course you never want to take the lead with these morons. If you
>need to back up in a hurry you can count on them being in the way.
>
>Not to mention they're like 2nd graders if you're standing in THEIR
>spot. They're in the swat team and they're going to have a fit if they
>have to stand 6" from where they want to.
>
>At this point I'm ready to join the terrorists and start shooting at
>the cops. :(

Action games replicating real-life scenarios ( like SWAT4 ) DEMAND
excellent AI - above graphics enhancements and other $$-sinks for the
developers. Too many developers have recently been trapped into the
illusion that pretty latest-technology production with some gee-whiz
video effects make for a great action game. Carmack at the 2003
Game Developers conference pointed out at AI was a top priority
for action-game developers. Pity he did not put his money where his
mouth was before Doom 3 was released.................

Should be very interesting in the AI department to see the first
efforts of the Crytek/EA strategic linkup. A new family of action
games is planned, but both companies are being very quiet
indeed about any details.

John Lewis

>Remove nospam_ to reply by email
>
>Jeff H........
>

>Lies, All lies. Don't believe a word Difool/sayNO says.
>He fears the truth!

Jeff Holinski wrote:
<snip rant>

SWAT4 ain't perfect ALL the time, no game is. SWAT4's AI is good most of
the time however and a lot better than most FPS games out there.

You need to play the game a bit differently. You are the boss so YOU
have to do the important work. Let the AI grunts take the falls and do
most of the standard work. YOU have to command and use the AI as best as
they are able. You have to be the smart one and watch for guys they
don't cover. You have to take hold of and handle the more tricky
troubling situations that occur. This is where the fun part and
challenge of the game lies.

There wouldn't be any challenge to this game if the AI did everything
perfectly and properly all the time; you'd just sit back and never have
to lift a trigger finger. Might as well make it a RTS game then at that
point.

You come in to be the expert, on-hand commander ready to take the
situation into your own hand as needed, which thankfully is often.

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 07:41:06 GMT, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

>That sounds like business as usual with ZA, my advice would be to dump
>it and go with Sygate. I see so many problems reported with ZA it
>isn't worth the bother.

Why are you guys running firewalls when playing games anyway? Setup
your network connection so that you can disable your network card then
you don't need a firewall while playing games in offline mode.

p.s. I'm assuming you are running XP. XP allows you set up a nice
little network icon in the system tray so you can disable/enable your
ethernet card.

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 07:35:13 GMT, "Kasey Chang \(remove EATSPAM to
> reply\)" <kschang77@eatspamhotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Or use the taser. That always works.
>
> Not always. I tasered a hostile the other day, while I was waiting for
> him to comply my squad were getting shot at so I turned to look what
> was happening and the guy I had tasered shot me!

Correction: ALMOST always works. Here's the straight dope, from
the strategy guide. Taser reduces the target's morale by 90%. So only
the most fanatical will last a taser shot. So what you can do in
addition
to that is

1) Shoot him in the RIGHT ARM (so he'll have to drop the gun)
(Yes, all suspects are right-handed)

2) Bean-bag him

3) Tear-gas him

4) Sting-ball him

5) Anything else that'll reduce his morale.

Having guns pointed in his face does NOT necessarily reduce
his morale, folks. This is NOT SWAT3.

--KC

Andrew

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:22:46 -0700, Aldwyn Edain <ae@invalid.email>
wrote:

>Why are you guys running firewalls when playing games anyway? Setup
>your network connection so that you can disable your network card then
>you don't need a firewall while playing games in offline mode.

LOL, I hope that was an attempt at humour.

wrote:

>If I hear "Boss, you're in my way" one more f*%cking time!
>Yeah, I'm the boss, so move the f*%k over a few inches,
>Einstein!

I agree, they should lower the repeat rate on that (max of
say once every 10 seconds instead of like every 2 seconds
like it is now) and stop repeating after the third time or
so. The silly thing is that they sometimes say that when
they are in following "Fall In" mode, and I stop to mirror
a door. How the hell can I be in your position if you are
following me? And what bothers me the most is that it
happens in the initial entry position on several of the
missions (last one level 2 entrance for instance), which
is something QA should have caught. I can't even move yet
and my damn team member is whining.

>And I still can't believe they cuff civilians and leave them
>there while armed suspects are running around looking for a
>hostage. Of course, the suspects never actually take the gift-
>wrapped civilians hostage even if they happen to find them,
>despite them being the last criminal and 5 SWAT guys are
>chasing them and the building outside is surrounded. Brilliant.

I think the real SWAT is supposed to be clearing the building
"sequentially" so all the rooms that you have cleared should
stay cleared (and trailers could come in immediately). I
suppose you could sort of accomplish this in-game by splitting
the squad and using a pair as a barrier to uncleared areas,
but in general the team gets screwed up too easily if I'm not
around watching their backs. SWAT 3 sort of did this part
better since the cuffed hostages and suspects were actually
removed by the so-called trailers (outside your field of view).
I also like the fact that in SWAT 3, suspects that surrendered
but were not cuffed sometimes picked up their weapon or ran
off.

>The AI in this game is garbage. It's not unplayable, but the
>suspension of reality is asking waaaay too much.

I don't think it's that bad - I've finished all the missions
on Hard with scores of 95-100 on all but maybe 2 or 3 missions
(where I got 85+). It's hard to strike a good balance, since
making the team AI really good would make the game way too
easy.

My biggest gripe about realism is that if HQ knows that there
10+ bad guys armed with automatic rifles and wearing body
armor, there's no way in hell that they would only send in a
single 5-man element. But it'd be hard to make multiple
elements work well, and it'd only exacerbate bad team AI.
All the Rainbow 6 games (Ghost Recon incl) had pretty abysmal
team AI. And that AI is a lot easier to code since they can
shoot first and ask questions later. I think SWAT 2 let you
bring 3 full elements, but that was an isometric game and not
an FPS.

wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 07:35:13 GMT, "Kasey Chang \(remove EATSPAM to
>reply\)" <kschang77@eatspamhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Or use the taser. That always works.
>
>Not always. I tasered a hostile the other day, while I was waiting
>for him to comply my squad were getting shot at so I turned to
>look what was happening and the guy I had tasered shot me!

In most of the later mission, I used the following escalation
of actions to get compliance:

Pepperball gun only: 25% will comply immediately
+ 1 or 2 bean-bag hits: 75% (including % from above steps)
+ taser: 99%
+ few more bean-bags: 100%

I think I've only met 3 or 4 suspects in all the missions
with multiple replays that failed to comply after using the
taser, and those all just needed another whack or two with
a bean bag. Tho usually I keep them peppered throughout
the whole process. I also observed that you must yell for
compliance again after each step. The morale check seems
to be done only in response to another request.

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 06:12:44 GMT, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

>So every time I play an SP game, because you say so, I have to disable
>my LAN port, close down all my LAN and net based app's (never mind the
>fact I want them running), play the game, start my LAN port, manually
>start all my LAN and net based app's.
>
>You are damn right I will ignore such frigging stupid advice.
>
>I bet you are the sort of person who thinks the XP Firewall is good
>too.

You want to play games the safe way and with more resources or da
stupid way? The method I describe below is just temporary while you
play games, you can enable and re-enable your connection at will,
silly wittle boy.

Go to Control Panel>Network Connections>Right click select properties>
put check box in "show icon in notification area when connected">click
OK>drag a shortcut copy of "Local Area Connection" icon to the desktop
and put that in your quick launch bar. From now on to disconnect from
the internet you right click the icon you see in the system tray and
select "disable", to re-enable your interent connection you just
single click the icon you put in the quick launch bar. Of course when
connected you launch a firewall too but when playing games offline you
don't need a firewall running in the background with the method I
describe above.

"Destroy" <ask@meplease.com> wrote in message
> You need to play the game a bit differently. You are the boss so YOU have
> to do the important work. Let the AI grunts take the falls and do most of
> the standard work. YOU have to command and use the AI as best as they are
> able.

Yep I agree, but in fairness they can disobey orders sometimes. For example
if they're covering an area and a suspect walks across a doorway down the
hall they'll often tear off after him and get shot.

I just use the AI to throw flashbangs et al, I'm always first through the
door.

Fat Civilian : Not more gunmen ...
Me : Drop your weapons and put your hands up!
Fat Civilian : Not more gunmen ...
Me : Drop your weapons and put your hands up!
Fat Civilian : Not more gunmen ...
Me : Drop your weapons and put your hands up!
Fat Civilian : Not more gunmen ...
Me : Taser him, Girard. Taser him in the FACE.
Girard: Yes SIR!

Andrew

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:57:22 -0700, Codex <no@email.here> wrote:

>Go to Control Panel>Network Connections>Right click select properties>
>put check box in "show icon in notification area when connected">click
>OK>drag a shortcut copy of "Local Area Connection" icon to the desktop
>and put that in your quick launch bar. From now on to disconnect from
>the internet you right click the icon you see in the system tray and
>select "disable", to re-enable your interent connection you just
>single click the icon you put in the quick launch bar. Of course when
>connected you launch a firewall too but when playing games offline you
>don't need a firewall running in the background with the method I
>describe above.

I know how to do all that, but if you think I am going to spend 5
minutes f***ing around with my machine every time I want to play a
single player game just because you think it is a good idea, you must
be out of your mind.

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:45:17 GMT, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

>I know how to do all that, but if you think I am going to spend 5
>minutes f***ing around with my machine every time I want to play a
>single player game just because you think it is a good idea, you must
>be out of your mind.

Then you don't know how to do that. Once you set it up it takes all of
two seconds to disconnect and all of two seconds to connect again.
Never mind, was just trying to help, you ingrate.

Andrew

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:47:09 -0700, Codex <no@email.here> wrote:

>Then you don't know how to do that. Once you set it up it takes all of
>two seconds to disconnect and all of two seconds to connect again.
>Never mind, was just trying to help, you ingrate.

I don't need help, I have no problems at all.

It isn't two seconds when you have to restart all your net/LAN
applications that will have stopped because the network connection has
disappeared.

> It isn't two seconds when you have to restart all your net/LAN
> applications that will have stopped because the network connection has
> disappeared.

Indeed. A far more sane method of dealing with Zone Alarm's depredations
would be to (1) uninstall it and feed the CD it came on into the trash
compactor; and (2) install Kerio Personal Firewall (free for non-commercial
users).

In fact, you could even get away with just running Windows SP2 firewall,
which I've now resorted to doing on client's machines. Sure, it permits all
outgoing connections, but if you're running a decent antivirus/antispyware
solution, you shouldn't really need outgoing connection blocking anyway.

sodium

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001

>> It isn't two seconds when you have to restart all your net/LAN
> applications that will have stopped because the network connection has
> disappeared.

Just how many do you have running? You are *always* connected? You have just
the kind of PC that hackers love.