Kinda Oldie but Goodie - XIII

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 23, 2005 4:48:27 AM

I picked up this XIII game few weeks ago from EB, for $19. I'm having a
mucho fun time with it.

It came out in 2003, and uses cel-shading(makes it look like cartoon in 3-d,
like in latest zelda game). The game looks beautiful. It's also very fun!
Also unlike the demo, the control problems are all fixed and very smooth now
with the latest patch.

If you're bored with today's FPS and don't have too much money to spend,
check out XIII. It's very stylish, gorgeous, and straight shoot-em up fun.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 10:37:14 AM

Alai wrote:
> If you're bored with today's FPS and don't have too much money to
spend,
> check out XIII. It's very stylish, gorgeous, and straight shoot-em
up fun.

It relies heavily on stealth , it's not really a run and gun kind of
game , but it does have those run and gun moments.
April 23, 2005 12:18:11 PM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:48:27 -0700, "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net>
wrote:

>It came out in 2003, and uses cel-shading(makes it look like cartoon in 3-d,
>like in latest zelda game). The game looks beautiful. It's also very fun!
>Also unlike the demo, the control problems are all fixed and very smooth now
>with the latest patch.

Did they ever put in a save anywhere feature? The lack of that in the
demo put me off of buying it as the level was quite long and had an
annoying hard bit at the end.
April 23, 2005 12:18:12 PM

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:48:27 -0700, "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net>
> wrote:
>
>>It came out in 2003, and uses cel-shading(makes it look like cartoon in
>>3-d,
>>like in latest zelda game). The game looks beautiful. It's also very
>>fun!
>>Also unlike the demo, the control problems are all fixed and very smooth
>>now
>>with the latest patch.
>
> Did they ever put in a save anywhere feature? The lack of that in the
> demo put me off of buying it as the level was quite long and had an
> annoying hard bit at the end.

Unfortunately, no. It's a damn shame for such a fine game.
April 23, 2005 12:18:13 PM

>> Did they ever put in a save anywhere feature? The lack of that in the
>> demo put me off of buying it as the level was quite long and had an
>> annoying hard bit at the end.
>
> Unfortunately, no. It's a damn shame for such a fine game.

But, in an attempt at defending this game, I had more fun to go through this
game than any other games with no save-anywhere feature.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 7:20:10 PM

"FunkyDevil" <qs8rzr001@sneakemail.com> wrote:

> It relies heavily on stealth , it's not really a run and gun kind of
>game , but it does have those run and gun moments.

Other way around actually. There is very little stealth in the game
that I remember (I played about two thirds of it before tiring of the
gameplay). It's a straight-up run n gun shooter. Nothing special about
it but the graphics.

Joe
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 10:25:05 PM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 08:18:11 GMT, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:48:27 -0700, "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net>
>wrote:
>
>>It came out in 2003, and uses cel-shading(makes it look like cartoon in 3-d,
>>like in latest zelda game). The game looks beautiful. It's also very fun!
>>Also unlike the demo, the control problems are all fixed and very smooth now
>>with the latest patch.
>
>Did they ever put in a save anywhere feature? The lack of that in the
>demo put me off of buying it as the level was quite long and had an
>annoying hard bit at the end.

It wasn't the lack of "save anywhere" that annoyed me so much as the
numerous "stealth" levels where you got a "mission failed" if you were
spotted even once. Ick.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 3:11:40 AM

x-no-archive: yes

Andrew wrote:

when will you ever tell us you have actually bought
a pc game and stop being a free loader someone who
only plays demos?

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

x-no-archive: yes

you forgot a very important detail about xiii
the game packaging is totally awesome, uniquely innovative,
extremely recommended, a memorable one!
even if only for the packaging, xiii is definitely a must
have to any pc gamer collector

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 4:19:57 AM

"Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> once tried to test me with:

> I picked up this XIII game few weeks ago from EB, for $19. I'm having
> a mucho fun time with it.
>
> It came out in 2003, and uses cel-shading(makes it look like cartoon
> in 3-d, like in latest zelda game). The game looks beautiful. It's
> also very fun! Also unlike the demo, the control problems are all
> fixed and very smooth now with the latest patch.
>
> If you're bored with today's FPS and don't have too much money to
> spend, check out XIII. It's very stylish, gorgeous, and straight
> shoot-em up fun.

The graphics are cool, and the story was going well, but I got stuck maybe
20 min into it and kept having to repeat a section over and over.. and so I
quit playing it. I may restart it sometime. BTW, this was a game that
didn't run unless I used a no-cd patch, the game won't run on my drives,
none of em.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
April 24, 2005 1:23:29 PM

On 23 Apr 2005 23:11:40 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>when will you ever tell us you have actually bought
>a pc game and stop being a free loader someone who
>only plays demos?

I have done. All you have admitted to owning is Doom 1. Some "true
gamer" you are.

Tosser.
April 24, 2005 2:20:46 PM

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Andrew wrote:
>
> when will you ever tell us you have actually bought
> a pc game and stop being a free loader someone who
> only plays demos?
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam

What were the names of all those games you bought this year again?

--
Les

Buy on line only!!!

post made in a tree-free computer
i said "NO" to unnecessary packaging and fossil fuels for delivery

against killing trees campaign
http://www.wesavetrees.org/

treewatch - independent observatory about trees
http://thecouriermail.com.au/extras/headstart/activitie...

please sign petition "Say NO! to killing trees!" available at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/gotrees/petition.html

what killing trees does to pc gamers (escaping from girlfriends dad) in
a million word worth picture:
http://www.santoalt.com/videos/roofjump.php

Shawk - c.s.i.p.g.a - 22-03-2005
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 4:17:43 AM

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> once tried to test me with:

> x-coward: yes
>
> you forgot a very important detail about xiii
> the game packaging is totally awesome, uniquely innovative,
> extremely recommended, a memorable one!
> even if only for the packaging, xiii is definitely a must
> have to any pc gamer collector

Gee, the first thing I did after I took out the CD and put it in the drive
is toss the box.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 4:17:44 AM

Knight37 wrote:

> Gee, the first thing I did after I took out the CD and put it in the
> drive is toss the box.

True gamers don't play PC games. They look at boxes.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 6:43:37 PM

>> you forgot a very important detail about xiii
>> the game packaging is totally awesome, uniquely innovative,
>> extremely recommended, a memorable one!
>> even if only for the packaging, xiii is definitely a must
>> have to any pc gamer collector
>
> Gee, the first thing I did after I took out the CD and put it in the drive
> is toss the box.

And you probably also threw out the manual and activation code and will come
back one day to this newsgroup whining about how you can't install the game
because you 'lost' the manual/code.
John
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 5:21:10 AM

"John A. Mason" <jamason56@MYearthlink.net> once tried to test me with:

>> Gee, the first thing I did after I took out the CD and put it in the
>> drive is toss the box.
>
> And you probably also threw out the manual and activation code and
> will come back one day to this newsgroup whining about how you can't
> install the game because you 'lost' the manual/code.
> John

Heh, well I didn't even know XIII had an online portion, so my purchase
decision wasn't motivated by it. But aside from that, it doesn't like my
drives and I have to use a no-cd hack to even play it, so I'd assume MP was
right out anyway.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:14:03 AM

Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 08:18:11 GMT, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:48:27 -0700, "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>It came out in 2003, and uses cel-shading(makes it look like
cartoon in 3-d,
> >>like in latest zelda game). The game looks beautiful. It's also
very fun!
> >>Also unlike the demo, the control problems are all fixed and very
smooth now
> >>with the latest patch.
> >
> >Did they ever put in a save anywhere feature? The lack of that in
the
> >demo put me off of buying it as the level was quite long and had an
> >annoying hard bit at the end.
>
> It wasn't the lack of "save anywhere" that annoyed me so much as the
> numerous "stealth" levels where you got a "mission failed" if you
were
> spotted even once. Ick.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:06:07 AM

Look for XIII at Half-Price books (US). I usually see it used there for
under $10. That's where I got mine a few months back.

!