Kinda Oldie but Goodie - XIII

I picked up this XIII game few weeks ago from EB, for $19. I'm having a
mucho fun time with it.

It came out in 2003, and uses cel-shading(makes it look like cartoon in 3-d,
like in latest zelda game). The game looks beautiful. It's also very fun!
Also unlike the demo, the control problems are all fixed and very smooth now
with the latest patch.

If you're bored with today's FPS and don't have too much money to spend,
check out XIII. It's very stylish, gorgeous, and straight shoot-em up fun.
17 answers Last reply
More about kinda oldie goodie xiii

    Alai wrote:
    > If you're bored with today's FPS and don't have too much money to
    spend,
    > check out XIII. It's very stylish, gorgeous, and straight shoot-em
    up fun.

    It relies heavily on stealth , it's not really a run and gun kind of
    game , but it does have those run and gun moments.

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:48:27 -0700, "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net>
    wrote:

    >It came out in 2003, and uses cel-shading(makes it look like cartoon in 3-d,
    >like in latest zelda game). The game looks beautiful. It's also very fun!
    >Also unlike the demo, the control problems are all fixed and very smooth now
    >with the latest patch.

    Did they ever put in a save anywhere feature? The lack of that in the
    demo put me off of buying it as the level was quite long and had an
    annoying hard bit at the end.

    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:48:27 -0700, "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>It came out in 2003, and uses cel-shading(makes it look like cartoon in
    >>3-d,
    >>like in latest zelda game). The game looks beautiful. It's also very
    >>fun!
    >>Also unlike the demo, the control problems are all fixed and very smooth
    >>now
    >>with the latest patch.
    >
    > Did they ever put in a save anywhere feature? The lack of that in the
    > demo put me off of buying it as the level was quite long and had an
    > annoying hard bit at the end.

    Unfortunately, no. It's a damn shame for such a fine game.

    >> Did they ever put in a save anywhere feature? The lack of that in the
    >> demo put me off of buying it as the level was quite long and had an
    >> annoying hard bit at the end.
    >
    > Unfortunately, no. It's a damn shame for such a fine game.

    But, in an attempt at defending this game, I had more fun to go through this
    game than any other games with no save-anywhere feature.

    "FunkyDevil" <qs8rzr001@sneakemail.com> wrote:

    > It relies heavily on stealth , it's not really a run and gun kind of
    >game , but it does have those run and gun moments.

    Other way around actually. There is very little stealth in the game
    that I remember (I played about two thirds of it before tiring of the
    gameplay). It's a straight-up run n gun shooter. Nothing special about
    it but the graphics.

    Joe

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 08:18:11 GMT, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

    >On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:48:27 -0700, "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>It came out in 2003, and uses cel-shading(makes it look like cartoon in 3-d,
    >>like in latest zelda game). The game looks beautiful. It's also very fun!
    >>Also unlike the demo, the control problems are all fixed and very smooth now
    >>with the latest patch.
    >
    >Did they ever put in a save anywhere feature? The lack of that in the
    >demo put me off of buying it as the level was quite long and had an
    >annoying hard bit at the end.

    It wasn't the lack of "save anywhere" that annoyed me so much as the
    numerous "stealth" levels where you got a "mission failed" if you were
    spotted even once. Ick.

    x-no-archive: yes

    Andrew wrote:

    when will you ever tell us you have actually bought
    a pc game and stop being a free loader someone who
    only plays demos?

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    x-no-archive: yes

    you forgot a very important detail about xiii
    the game packaging is totally awesome, uniquely innovative,
    extremely recommended, a memorable one!
    even if only for the packaging, xiii is definitely a must
    have to any pc gamer collector

    --

    "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> once tried to test me with:

    > I picked up this XIII game few weeks ago from EB, for $19. I'm having
    > a mucho fun time with it.
    >
    > It came out in 2003, and uses cel-shading(makes it look like cartoon
    > in 3-d, like in latest zelda game). The game looks beautiful. It's
    > also very fun! Also unlike the demo, the control problems are all
    > fixed and very smooth now with the latest patch.
    >
    > If you're bored with today's FPS and don't have too much money to
    > spend, check out XIII. It's very stylish, gorgeous, and straight
    > shoot-em up fun.

    The graphics are cool, and the story was going well, but I got stuck maybe
    20 min into it and kept having to repeat a section over and over.. and so I
    quit playing it. I may restart it sometime. BTW, this was a game that
    didn't run unless I used a no-cd patch, the game won't run on my drives,
    none of em.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    On 23 Apr 2005 23:11:40 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >when will you ever tell us you have actually bought
    >a pc game and stop being a free loader someone who
    >only plays demos?

    I have done. All you have admitted to owning is Doom 1. Some "true
    gamer" you are.

    Tosser.

    "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    > when will you ever tell us you have actually bought
    > a pc game and stop being a free loader someone who
    > only plays demos?
    >
    > --
    > post made in a steam-free computer
    > i said "NO" to valve and steam

    What were the names of all those games you bought this year again?

    --
    Les

    Buy on line only!!!

    post made in a tree-free computer
    i said "NO" to unnecessary packaging and fossil fuels for delivery

    against killing trees campaign
    http://www.wesavetrees.org/

    treewatch - independent observatory about trees
    http://thecouriermail.com.au/extras/headstart/activities_arch/tree_survival_2003.htm

    please sign petition "Say NO! to killing trees!" available at:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/gotrees/petition.html

    what killing trees does to pc gamers (escaping from girlfriends dad) in
    a million word worth picture:
    http://www.santoalt.com/videos/roofjump.php

    Shawk - c.s.i.p.g.a - 22-03-2005

    "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> once tried to test me with:

    > x-coward: yes
    >
    > you forgot a very important detail about xiii
    > the game packaging is totally awesome, uniquely innovative,
    > extremely recommended, a memorable one!
    > even if only for the packaging, xiii is definitely a must
    > have to any pc gamer collector

    Gee, the first thing I did after I took out the CD and put it in the drive
    is toss the box.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    Knight37 wrote:

    > Gee, the first thing I did after I took out the CD and put it in the
    > drive is toss the box.

    True gamers don't play PC games. They look at boxes.

    >> you forgot a very important detail about xiii
    >> the game packaging is totally awesome, uniquely innovative,
    >> extremely recommended, a memorable one!
    >> even if only for the packaging, xiii is definitely a must
    >> have to any pc gamer collector
    >
    > Gee, the first thing I did after I took out the CD and put it in the drive
    > is toss the box.

    And you probably also threw out the manual and activation code and will come
    back one day to this newsgroup whining about how you can't install the game
    because you 'lost' the manual/code.
    John

    "John A. Mason" <jamason56@MYearthlink.net> once tried to test me with:

    >> Gee, the first thing I did after I took out the CD and put it in the
    >> drive is toss the box.
    >
    > And you probably also threw out the manual and activation code and
    > will come back one day to this newsgroup whining about how you can't
    > install the game because you 'lost' the manual/code.
    > John

    Heh, well I didn't even know XIII had an online portion, so my purchase
    decision wasn't motivated by it. But aside from that, it doesn't like my
    drives and I have to use a no-cd hack to even play it, so I'd assume MP was
    right out anyway.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 08:18:11 GMT, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:48:27 -0700, "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net>
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >>It came out in 2003, and uses cel-shading(makes it look like
    cartoon in 3-d,
    > >>like in latest zelda game). The game looks beautiful. It's also
    very fun!
    > >>Also unlike the demo, the control problems are all fixed and very
    smooth now
    > >>with the latest patch.
    > >
    > >Did they ever put in a save anywhere feature? The lack of that in
    the
    > >demo put me off of buying it as the level was quite long and had an
    > >annoying hard bit at the end.
    >
    > It wasn't the lack of "save anywhere" that annoyed me so much as the
    > numerous "stealth" levels where you got a "mission failed" if you
    were
    > spotted even once. Ick.

    Look for XIII at Half-Price books (US). I usually see it used there for
    under $10. That's where I got mine a few months back.

    "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> wrote in message
    > I picked up this XIII game few weeks ago from EB, for $19. I'm having a
    > mucho fun time with it.
    >
    > It came out in 2003, and uses cel-shading(makes it look like cartoon in
    3-d,
    > like in latest zelda game). The game looks beautiful. It's also very
    fun!
    > Also unlike the demo, the control problems are all fixed and very smooth
    now
    > with the latest patch.
    >
    > If you're bored with today's FPS and don't have too much money to spend,
    > check out XIII. It's very stylish, gorgeous, and straight shoot-em up
    fun.

PC gaming Games IBM Video Games