How do i buy memory without wasting money

Aviyano

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2002
just spent 58 dollars for ddr memory that wont work with my system (ecs K7s5a) how can i buy memory knowing that it will work for my system? should i buy industry standard memory or what

Bill Gates might be Richer but at least I can dress myself

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I concur. You are using a PC-Chips/ECS board. You want as little potential problems as possible. So sticking with Crucial is a wise choice. Also if you purchase online they give you a 10% discount. It is good stuff. You will be very happy with it.

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Dont buy cheap produce
LIKE ECS VIA DDR

The day i meet a goth queen that tell me Intel suck.I turn in a lemming to fill is need in hardware.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Juin,

Let the man buy what he likes. Maybe that is all he can get where he is or mabye that is all he can afford.

BTW: You need a new translator program. :smile: I mean talk about you sterotypes. :lol:

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The main culprits of problems with that board are poor quality power supplies and poor quality memory. Inexpensive boards usually use low quality power filters, and low quality power supplies do as well. This can cause system instability, and can push other low quality parts, such as cheap memory, over the edge.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had asked more questions first!</font color=blue>

Juin. Many people have this board and no probs. Some people are prepared for the odd problem with <b>any</b> mobo.

You could get an expensive mobo and skimp on the memory and PSU quality and <b>still</b> have a system which is dodgy.

The price of the K7S5A allows you to put the savings into a quality PSU and memory. This is what we always recommend for any system, so what's the difference.

<b><font color=blue>~ Gotta question? Tried searching the boards first? Good! Ask away! ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would also suggest you to get Crucial RAM. My friend's K7S5A also have problem with cheap RAM. After he replace the RAM with Crucial RAM the problem went away. I think board is more picky about RAM than other motherboard since the cheap RAM my friend use work fine with his old motherboard.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
In canada between a

Good systemes ( work well and fast) cost about 1000$

A poor systemes cost about (cheap part) 800$

For 200 get a good [-peep-] systemes

The day i meet a goth queen that tell me Intel suck.I turn in a lemming to fill is need in hardware.

Here you save about £50-£80 by getting a K7S5A. For £20 more, you get a quality PSU, and for £15 more CAS 2 RAM from Crucial. Saving money and it's a stable, fast system.

<b><font color=blue>~ Gotta question? Tried searching the boards first? Good! Ask away! ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
It all depends on your definition of "poor" and "good" systems. In my part of Canada, the difference can be more or less than 200$CAN. Again, it all depends of what you understand as a poor or good system.
You can get an ECS board loaded with Generic and outdated stuff for a song or assemble a "good" system with Brand name parts. Tell me about the price difference then!

<font color=red>A platform is not an oil rig.</font color=red>