Anyone transferred files from a hard disk recorder (Fostex..

Last response: in Home Audio
August 26, 2004 1:52:31 AM

I may be doing a project where someone has tracked everything to a
Fostex 16-channel hard disk recorder. A cursory look at the manual
found that Fostex CLAIMS that files can be saved to CD as WAV files,
then transferred to a computer. It looks like the formatting of the
drive is MS DOS.

I'm a Mac user running Cubase SX 2. (I am not rich enough to be a
Republican, or own a Pro Tools HD system!!!) In Theory I could burn
the data to disk as WAV files, then, load them into SX and I'm off and
running.

I'm assuming of course that all tracks would be exported with the same
start and end points. Which would make it dead easy to do.

My questions are, has anyone done someting like this successfully? Any
hitches if you have? Would it be easier to just pull the drive out of
the Fostex, put it in a firewire enclosure (sled) and copy the data to
a Mac formatted drive? It seems like it would, any pitfalls in doing
that?

thanks in advance
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 2:19:06 PM

On 25 Aug 2004 21:52:31 -0700, touched_1@excite.com (J. Wolford)
wrote:

>I may be doing a project where someone has tracked everything to a
>Fostex 16-channel hard disk recorder. A cursory look at the manual
>found that Fostex CLAIMS that files can be saved to CD as WAV files,
>then transferred to a computer. It looks like the formatting of the
>drive is MS DOS.
>
>I'm a Mac user running Cubase SX 2. (I am not rich enough to be a
>Republican, or own a Pro Tools HD system!!!) In Theory I could burn
>the data to disk as WAV files, then, load them into SX and I'm off and
>running.
>
>I'm assuming of course that all tracks would be exported with the same
>start and end points. Which would make it dead easy to do.
>
>My questions are, has anyone done someting like this successfully? Any
>hitches if you have? Would it be easier to just pull the drive out of
>the Fostex, put it in a firewire enclosure (sled) and copy the data to
>a Mac formatted drive? It seems like it would, any pitfalls in doing
>that?

Have you tried following the Fostex instructions? What have you got
to lose?

August 30, 2004 1:38:28 AM

wrote:

>I may be doing a project where someone has tracked everything to a
>Fostex 16-channel hard disk recorder. A cursory look at the manual
>found that Fostex CLAIMS that files can be saved to CD as WAV files,
>then transferred to a computer. It looks like the formatting of the
>drive is MS DOS.
>
>I'm a Mac user running Cubase SX 2. (I am not rich enough to be a
>Republican, or own a Pro Tools HD system!!!) In Theory I could burn
>the data to disk as WAV files, then, load them into SX and I'm off and
>running.
>
>I'm assuming of course that all tracks would be exported with the same
>start and end points. Which would make it dead easy to do.
>
>My questions are, has anyone done someting like this successfully? Any
>hitches if you have? Would it be easier to just pull the drive out of
>the Fostex, put it in a firewire enclosure (sled) and copy the data to
>a Mac formatted drive? It seems like it would, any pitfalls in doing
>that?
>
>thanks in advance
I have done it via a Fostex VF-16 and also via a Fostex D-90. I
imported the tracks into a Terratec audio card in adat format on a pc
running Windows 98se and also Windows 2000 with Samplitude. The
Terratec has midi i/o so you can slave the two units.
Removing the drive will be of little use since Fostex uses a
proptrietary OS (FDMS3 or variants).
I also sequentially dump the 16 tracks as stereo pairs (actually
S/PDIF DAT pairs) to cd, Iomega Jaz drive or Dat drive (Fostex D-5)
for archival storage. You can dump the tracks to Samplitude two at a
time and that should get the job done. I use the optical outputs. When
restoring the archive to the VF16 I have encountered tracks that are
slightly out of sync but can be 'nudged' with internal VF16 commands
or reloaded repeatedly until the unit gets it right (sounds funny but
it works).

The only wav dump method I have tried was actually a stereo mixdown
of the 16 tracks to a pc formatted Jaz disk on the VF16. I have never
tried a 16 track wav dump method and am unaware that it is possible
except if you meant through a sound card. How would the tracks be
stored on the cd? You couldn't save midi info on the cd, could you!
You could use the archival dump method to cd but this won't help since
it is used only to restore tracks to the VF16 or D-90.

You might want to post your concerns to vf16.com forum. They may be of
some help.

I hope this helps. I am really tired and the screen is starting to
look like psychidelic imagery!!!!!