upgrade from Palm Vx to Zire 72 - change or keep Palm ID?

May 12, 2004 12:54:26 AM

Hi

I've just ordered a nice shiny new Zire 72 to replace my trusty Vx
(hurrah!). I'm not ditching the Vx completely, but will be removing
from it most (perhaps all) of the software I've acquired over the
years - QuickOffice (which I'm familiar with, so may use in place of
Docs2Go) - HanDBase (this or ThinkDB will end up on the Zire), Radio
Times (again, will end up on the Zire), Ultrasoft Money, etc.

Basically, none of the software will be resident on both machines,
except probably the basic apps and their links to Outlook (Calendar,
contacts, tasks, notes).

My question is about migrating - if I want to be able to load some of
this software onto the new machine, will I need to give the new
machine the same username as the old one? I'm conscious that for at
least one of the bits of software I've paid for I had to supply the
username at buytime, which suggests that the software key was locked
to the username. I'd rather not have to buy the same software twice!

Is my best bet to move the username to the new gadget, then rename the
old one? What would happen if I didn't bother renaming the old one?

Any thoughts from anyone else who's gone through a recent migration
would be helpful, thanks.

Cheers

Adrian
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 5:32:06 AM

Adrian wrote:

> Any thoughts from anyone else who's gone through a recent migration
> would be helpful, thanks.

I've migrated from Z71 to Z72. I had Piloc Greek localization that I
beamed it from the old palm to the new. When I tried to enter my code it
denied it... unless I made my first sychronization were my palm got its
user name (the same with the old one). Then the same code worked. The
same goes to SlovoEd dictionary.

I also had to get a new code based on MobiPocket's PID and then to
download all the titles I had bought with the new code. Of course this
happens also when MobiPocket releases a new version of the program.
Anonymous
May 31, 2004 3:34:31 AM

Adrian wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've just ordered a nice shiny new Zire 72 to replace my trusty Vx
> (hurrah!). I'm not ditching the Vx completely, but will be removing
> from it most (perhaps all) of the software I've acquired over the
> years - QuickOffice (which I'm familiar with, so may use in place of
> Docs2Go) - HanDBase (this or ThinkDB will end up on the Zire), Radio
> Times (again, will end up on the Zire), Ultrasoft Money, etc.
>
> Basically, none of the software will be resident on both machines,
> except probably the basic apps and their links to Outlook (Calendar,
> contacts, tasks, notes).
>
> My question is about migrating - if I want to be able to load some of
> this software onto the new machine, will I need to give the new
> machine the same username as the old one? I'm conscious that for at
> least one of the bits of software I've paid for I had to supply the
> username at buytime, which suggests that the software key was locked
> to the username. I'd rather not have to buy the same software twice!
>
> Is my best bet to move the username to the new gadget, then rename the
> old one? What would happen if I didn't bother renaming the old one?
>
> Any thoughts from anyone else who's gone through a recent migration
> would be helpful, thanks.
>
> Cheers
>

> Adrian
Be careful using the same name for both. You risk getting incompatible
drivers, etc., loaded on your new device...
!