Sign in with
Your question

Installing a new mouse

Last response: in Components
August 10, 2002 10:32:08 AM

Hope you can help with what may seem a simple request, but not simple to me as I haven't done it before.

I have an existing microsoft PS/2 mouse installed but want to replace it with an Optical Wheel Mouse plugged into the USB. I presume I have to uninstall my existing mouse first, but how do I go about it? If I do uninstall my existing mouse first how do I then go about operating the computer to go through the installation of the new mouse if I don't have an existing mouse to do this! Or do I install the USB mouse first and then uninstall the PS/2 mouse, if so, how?

So you can see I am getting very confused. If anyone can provide a simple step by step guide of what to do it would be much appreciated

Thanks

Roy

More about : installing mouse

August 10, 2002 12:29:35 PM

No you don't have to uninstall the old mouse drivers, just plug the USB mouse in and PNP (plug-n-play) will ask for the new drivers. Read your instructions, usually on most USB devices you plug up the USB device while the PC is running and PNP takes over from there. The mouse drivers will install on top of the old drivers. You shouldn't have any problems as long as you install the correct version drivers.

<font color=purple><b>Listen twice as much as you Speak, better yet Think twice. :wink: </font color=purple></b>
August 10, 2002 2:15:18 PM

You do not need to uninstall PS/2 mouse when you install an USB one. You can use both at same time. If you are using Windows 98 and above the USB mouse will be working without installing any driver.
August 10, 2002 3:32:00 PM

Thanks for the advice

Roy
!