Sign in with
Your question

USB Ports Stopped Working - Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
April 27, 2012 7:50:37 PM

My USB ports on my ASUS c90s laptop suddenly stopped working one by one. After reading around the internet it seems this is a windows 7 problem. When I go to device management I have other devices not working. Two Base system devices under a PCI bus category and an "Unknown Device". The unknown device is under the Intel(R) 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Controller - 27B8 section. It has no driver, even though I downloaded the driver manually it still doesn't work. I've tried removing my battery and then replacing it. I disabled all the USB ports then restarted. I've even uninstalled them aswell as the unknown device.
I went to the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
and found one solution to delete the upper and lower values. I had no lower values just a "lowerlogoversion" but I did delete the upper value. I then restarted and attempted to plug my mouse into my USB again and it was recognized for about a second and the red light under my mouse lit up but then went away.

I've searched all over the internet for answers but can find none, was working fine about 4 days ago.
April 28, 2012 9:31:05 PM

bump
m
l
May 1, 2012 6:22:17 PM

The only thing that seems it might work is taking the battery out for an extended period of time then restarting and then plugging in. For example yesterday I restarted put my mouse in got a message saying it was installing intelli-mouse drivers then said it failed because the device was unplugged. (Even though it wasn't)
m
l
Related resources
May 2, 2012 12:39:28 PM

Use Windows Device Driver Rollback to replace the driver with the previously installed version.

1 Click the Start button and click Control Panel.
2 Under Pick a Category, click Performance and Maintenance.
3 Click System.
4 In the System Properties window, click the Hardware tab.
5 Click Device Manager.
6 Right-click the device for which the new driver was installed and click Properties.
7 Click the Drivers tab.
8 Click Roll Back Driver.
If Device Driver Rollback does not resolve the problem, then use System Restore to return your
computer to the operating state that existed before you installed the new driver.

If problem still occurs then use a system utility tool to fix corrupt registry.
m
l
May 2, 2012 7:40:39 PM

Thank you for your reply.
The only driver available is from 2006 and predates my computer. There are no alternatives for the chipset driver. Can you please elaborate on fixing a potentially corrupt registry? Thanks.
m
l
May 14, 2012 2:30:55 PM

alishathomaz said:
Use Windows Device Driver Rollback to replace the driver with the previously installed version.

1 Click the Start button and click Control Panel.
2 Under Pick a Category, click Performance and Maintenance.
3 Click System.
4 In the System Properties window, click the Hardware tab.
5 Click Device Manager.
6 Right-click the device for which the new driver was installed and click Properties.
7 Click the Drivers tab.
8 Click Roll Back Driver.
If Device Driver Rollback does not resolve the problem, then use System Restore to return your
computer to the operating state that existed before you installed the new driver.

If problem still occurs then use a system utility tool to fix corrupt registry.

While attempting this solution I was unable to rollback drivers for the USB root Hubs, however I discovered that the device manager had another tab under the properties for the root hubs. Power management: The default box that allows the computer to turn off the hubs to save power was checked. I de-selected this item for each of my root hubs. I hope that this has solved my issue.
m
l
!