Sign in with
Your question

Another SB Live Problem!

Last response: in Components
August 10, 2002 3:37:13 PM

I bought a new sb live 5.1 for my win xp system. When I put it in and hit the power, it starts fine until it gets to the screen that says "checking dmi poll data.." (I think that what it says) and then the screen goes black and has a white cursor in the upper left corner. If I take the 5.1 out and put in my pci 128 it works fine.I've heard of the via issues, but only after I got the 5.1. But shouldn't my comp start, and then download drivers? The only reason I changed cards to begin with is because my win98 comp needed a new sound card, and I figured I'd get a better one for my newer comp and put the old card in my old comp. The 5.1 works in the older comp but not the newer one. I know I'll be punished by your responses for being stupid, but I'm a newB, and remember we all start somewhere. :lol: 

More about : live problem

August 11, 2002 1:09:45 AM

Well, I know it's not the motherboard. I put a different hard drive in the computer and everything worked, but with win98. Must be an XP thing. :frown: I don't know what else I can do. Any ideas would help. Maybe I'm overlooking something.
August 11, 2002 1:20:15 AM

Oh yea.. If I try to do a new install of winxp it freezes at "windows is checking your hardware"
Thanks again..

If you don't like what I say, then don't listen... <font color=blue>GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.</font color=blue>
Related resources
August 11, 2002 3:08:12 AM

Maybe the card is broken. Try to get a replacement.
August 11, 2002 12:02:54 PM

Well.. I don't think so. It works fine in another computer with win98. In fact, it works fine in this computer with win 98. I would yhink that if it is broken it wouldn't work at all, in anything. Just a guess though.

If you don't like what I say, then don't listen... <font color=blue>GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.</font color=blue>
Anonymous
August 11, 2002 1:46:05 PM

I'm wondering if it could be a resource conflict since XP assigns resources differently than 98. Maybe you could try it in a different PCI slot?
August 11, 2002 2:16:03 PM

I've tried all the slots. No go. :frown: The last thing I can think of is the pci video card I have (ati radeon 64 mb). Maybe a conflict there.

August 13, 2002 11:12:53 PM

Sounds like a VIA problem, I'd give up and use a different card rather than spend hours trying to solve the problem (hours can turn into days...).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
August 14, 2002 10:34:31 PM

I've given up. Gonna save my money for a santa cruz and use the 5.1 in my win98 box. Thanks anyways! :frown:
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A>

August 15, 2002 2:14:22 AM

You don't even have to save that much. They're going for $59 at NewEgg. Another convert. Hallelujah!

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
!