Difference between Windows 7 and 8

capricorn 4138

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Hello,
I hate Windows 7 as it is full of unwanted stuff the majority of people, especially those from 40 and older who are used to XP, cannot cope with and are not able to understand as it is so complicated. OK for professionals and people who have been taught how to use it but even some of them hate it. Too complicated

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
40 and older????!!!!!!

We are the first generation that grew up with personal computers at home. For us, that was the big new thing in the 80s. We locked ourselves in our bedrooms as sulky teenagers and learned to program in C, basic and assembly. We are the generation that founded the IT revolution that's sweeping all before it today. We've seen every version of Excel since it existed, we cried out for features that are only now starting to appear, we howled when Excel couldn't do the same macros or keyboard shortcuts as Lotus 123. Too complicated? It's the young uns who are baying for touch screens, graphical displays, simplistic menus, dumbed down games, and feature lite applications that can run on a wrist watch.

Actually there are very few genuinely new features in Windows 7. It's just a nicer, more intuitive and powerful OS for modern computers that can run it. Nothing really complicated in it if you understand XP.

Lets just say 40 is YOUNG, Heck 60 is young, and I find going from XP -> Win 7 just as easy as Windows 98 -> XP. Yes there are some annoying security pop-up. It has DRM cra*, But overall I find it is better than XP. Yes I do have a fair knowledge of computers.

But MY 60 plus (8x Months) wife is not what you would NOT call computer Wizzard and she HATES change, but she uses it and yes she also cusses the security pop-up (basicly says I would not click on that if I did not want to do it - just go away).

I did play around with Windows 7 beta before win 7 was released. I downloaded windows 8, played with it for half a day, deleted it and threw the DVD in the trash. Unless they make some changes, I probably will not switch until I have to. My biggest problem was that every time I booted to Win 8 (on a seperate disk) it would mess up my win 7 (Win 7 SSD was disconnected during win 8 Install). Also do not like the ipad concept (although I think you can tell it to use win 7 "looks").

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

Retired Chief I'm sure you know this because you are computer savvy, but you can turn off that useless security pop-up.

8 is ok for a toy, but not for a working device.

as to being unable to learn because you are 40+, god help you in the job market, because i wouldn't (I'm 38 by the way).

I also have to ask, how exactly is '7 different from XP, you start programs in the same way, you shut it down in same way, you find files in the same way, everything is the same, mostly even in the same place on the screen.

bwrlane - Yea, I know I can turn it off. It really does not bug me that much, It does my wife but on her's I do NOT want to "disable warnings".

When I retired from the AF in 1983, My goal was to retire in a location that (A) when they saw an airplaine they would look up and say " It's Superman" and (B) the 2nd goal was the closest thing to a computer was a Hand held Calculator. Blew Both of them goals:
Forced to start learning computers in 1986, 3 years after retiring, and also ended up flying on a B737 Research plane for 5 years.

So 40->50 year olds that use age as an excuss get little sympathy.
PS you can find Sympathy in the dictionary between shi* and syphillis

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Each version of Windows makes architectural changes that improve performance, scaling, or features. Windows 7 scales better in SMP environments than prior OSes after the work done to the dispatcher lock. Windows 8 has more changes to improve scaling, boot times, shutdown times, and application performance. On the same hardware, Windows 7 boots and shuts down faster than XP. Windows 8 is going to improve that even further with Hybrid Boot. By staying on an OS from 2001, you'll be missing USB 3.0 (native in Win8, support in Vista and Win7), full support for GPUs after the the GeForce 7 series (no DX10+, introduced with Vista), AHCI support for SSDs (introduced with Vista), and support for over 4GB of RAM (if you're not using the poorly supported x64 edition which is really just Server 2k3). If you're happy on a Core 2 Duo with a 7900 GTX then by all means...